nobody posts in here anymore?  well I just want to say that we had a great time in our first Canada race for the team.   

this track is epic and I can't wait to come back again.  thanks to the track and Sal + Wendy for running a great event and all the teams for making it what it was.

here is one fun clip of the fastest contact I've been a part of yet:

• Like 2

That's quite the spin!!!! I want to see it from the other driver's view.

I'm anxious for the results to get posted! Race monitor is a pretty unreliable app and wasn't giving us our placement or timing info. Transponder seemed to work though since it was counting our laps. We won't be competitive given our stock-fuel-tank-limited 45 min sessions, but am still anxious to review it all!

Anyway, was a fantastic weekend for sure! This was our team's first ever race in the series, and in the car. We were ecstatic that it performed reliably and seemed to be pretty quick. Videos to come from us as well!

Our team had a punt/spin in the same location but results were far more catastrophic.  Driver was fine.  Car...it'll take some work.  My first time to Canada too - really fun to race at a bucket list track despite the results.  I'll definitely be back to give it another go.

Wheelhouse Racing had a great weekend even though all didn't go as planned.  We debuted a new car, so I guess nothing ever goes as planned when doing that!

We had issue with our fuel tank venting.  Reverted back to the OEM routing and removed the surge tank.  Seemed to work for a while but we found late on Saturday that our tank was getting very hot and staying pressurized so we called it for the day.  Tried to get some heat shield to the tank from the exhaust, but that apparently didn't solve the issue for sunday.  I think we finally found the issue with our rollover valve and vent routing, so will resolve that for the next race.

We have a few other items to work on for the future races, like getting the ABS to work again and making sure the brake/pad bias is set up if no ABS, and hoping to get the suspension dialed in.  We have major understeer and the car is pretty much impossible to get through T5b.  Add to that we have no points to play with and we have some work to do to solve those issues!

The heat was brutal and seemed to wreak havoc on the field.  Both for blowing up cars and making drivers crazy.  There was a huge amount of attrition and even on Sunday there were way more FCYs than would normally be seen (or at least I feel that way anyways).

Was great to back on track again and cant wait to get back out there!  That track really is top notch and sooooo much fun to drive!

Heres a video of me on Satruday morning.:

• Like 1

^ Great to see you guys back on track. The new car reminds me of the old car, just different livery.

9 hours ago, theblue said:

wow, did you get tapped or what happened?   glad nobody got hurt.

Contact at the exit of turn two. It's pretty crappy because we lost the old 18 last July after it ended up in the wall at the top of 2. That's racing, I guess. Time to find the magic car wash. 🤔

Glad you guys had fun up here. As Mac said, that spin could have been worse - I'm sure it was a bit of a "brown" moment, though.

• Like 2

@theblue As the other guys said, could have been worse.  T2 has its fair share of victims. 

glad you guys had a good weekend. Look forward to seeing you back there. 

As a side note, you should go back and look at some historic footage and imagine if the grass was still there at the edge of the track! You would have been straight into the grass and no slowing down until the tire wall.... It's hard to even imagine how gnarly the track was back then!

Great weekend.  We managed to get the engine to make a shitload of power and last 11 hours.

On to the next one.  Still a perfect record of 4 races with this car and 4 engines.  I would hate to spoil a good thing.  We may chuck some bolts in the oil pan on the next one just to keep up the streak.

Glad to see the Wheelerz back.  Sad to see Junction smashed up again.  Bring on Calabogie - but not too fast cause I have an engine to figure out.

• Thanks 1

Howdy folks,

Red Cow Racing had a good weekend.  We could have been competitive both days if it weren't for a very bad pit stop on Saturday.  Oh well, lesson learned.

Here is a playlist of our videos from Sunday.  There are some bookmarks in the description boxes, to some of the more interesting moments.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF1SxshVXEC-UvGg9Pe_YFJ8xREhcN_T8

- Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shanehutton said:

Great weekend.  We managed to get the engine to make a shitload of power and last 11 hours.

On to the next one.  Still a perfect record of 4 races with this car and 4 engines.  I would hate to spoil a good thing.  We may chuck some bolts in the oil pan on the next one just to keep up the streak.

Glad to see the Wheelerz back.  Sad to see Junction smashed up again.  Bring on Calabogie - but not too fast cause I have an engine to figure out.

Wait, you said this on Sunday and I thought you meant in total... this 4 engines is with the Civic?  Damn dude... that's not even including the Korean rainbow Unicorn?!  My gawd...!

8 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

@theblue As the other guys said, could have been worse.  T2 has its fair share of victims. 

glad you guys had a good weekend. Look forward to seeing you back there. 

As a side note, you should go back and look at some historic footage and imagine if the grass was still there at the edge of the track! You would have been straight into the grass and no slowing down until the tire wall.... It's hard to even imagine how gnarly the track was back then!

Not even thaaaat historic! When I started tracking, Mosport was my home track and they hadn't paved the outside of T2 yet. The first event I did after they paved it, what do you know... I put 4 wheels off onto that newly paved section! Couldn't help but thinking "what if....." (then again, maybe if it wasn't paved I would have tried harder to keep it on track.......)

We'll have some footage from last weekend up soon. Need to find time to go through it. I had a beauty spin in T1 Sat morning when some oil dropped from another car. Throughout the rest of the weekend we saw some great racing!

I have to say, as newbies to chumpcar we were very impressed overall with the quality of drivers, not only skill-wise, but also in terms of courtesy. Lots of guys giving point-bys to faster cars and communicating while on track, and the battles (the best part!) were usually fought with mutual respect and safety from my experience.

Thanks also to the team that gave us some ducting to make an air vent for the driver! Can't imagine the weekend without it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W99 said:

Howdy folks,

Red Cow Racing had a good weekend.  We could have been competitive both days if it weren't for a very bad pit stop on Saturday.  Oh well, lesson learned.

Here is a playlist of our videos from Sunday.  There are some bookmarks in the description boxes, to some of the more interesting moments.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF1SxshVXEC-UvGg9Pe_YFJ8xREhcN_T8

- Paul

Thanks for sharing! Love the video outlay - what program did you use for your data (or do you have an AIM?), and for making the vid? I especially like the rear-view footage up top!

9 minutes ago, Vitamin-E Racing said:

Thanks for sharing! Love the video outlay - what program did you use for your data (or do you have an AIM?), and for making the vid? I especially like the rear-view footage up top!

Thanks, I'm using RaceRender to bring the 2 camera feeds and the data together.  The data comes from my Android app called SpeedFreq--it gives immediate driver feedback, and keeps things interesting over the long stints!

For data logging, the phone logs G-forces, an external  bluetooth10Hz GPS logs position and speed, and we have a bluetooth Analog-to-digital converter box called RaceDAC, which is very slick.  All that stuff is logged by the Speedfreq.  There is a cheaper A2D option, and an option to transmit the data to the pits during the race, for those who are extra keen.

- Paul

On 7/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, thewheelerZ said:

Wait, you said this on Sunday and I thought you meant in total... this 4 engines is with the Civic?  Damn dude... that's not even including the Korean rainbow Unicorn?!  My gawd...!

Nah.  4 in the Civic and the Hyundai used up 3 or 4 plus one transmission.  To be fair, we always make up some excuse to beat on it like "stock redline + 2000 rpm has to be fine".  They are always quite fast but as the saying goes "The candle that burns twice as bright only lasts half as long".  Oddly, the races we are kind to the car and finish are the least fun.  I just think we might be weird.

Edited by shanehutton
  • Haha 2

If anyone has any footage of #87 crash in T3 please let me know, My GoPro wasnt recording again and the git2 sd card is corrupted (but was flashing recording when it came in on the flatbed).  Car was finally running decently and holding its own in the corners on used 2015 hankooks. 

• Sad 1

Report from #39 - Yardsale Racing.

We decided the Sunferarri was a little weak sauce for this track so we brought our motored up 1994 351W Mustang to run in CER. Quite a difference going from 3rd slowest best laptime last year to 3rd best this year. We ran some new slicks on Saturday 1st stint just to heat cycle them. Unfortunately after an hour or so the clutch disk broke outside of a disk spring and the loose spring caused a non disengaging clutch. Found a new disc and pressure plate at a Partsource in Pickering so that was the rest of the day replacing that. Sunday I started first stint on some old slicks that had seen better days. They had lots of meat on them still but were old and not grippy anymore. I had a close call coming out of turn 3 on about lap 3 or 4.. Can't recall who it was but while I was passing a car on the inside, they pulled out to pass a slower car to their left and I had to go 2 wheels off to avoid contact. Slicks turn into snowballs in the sand and gravel and I got way squirly getting back on the track onfront of the 2 others but no harm done all in all. Next stint was Dave the car owner driving and he put it into the wall outside of turn 3. No contact - just missed his braking point and got too close to the edge he said. I apologize on his behalf for causing such a long delay of race while they re-stacked the tire wall. It was nearly all just cosmetic damage so with some pry baring, measuring, duct taping, a new set of Rs4's and ziptie-ing a mirror back on we came back on track. The steering wheel was irked about 20 degrees from the impact so we wanted a tire with tread to run and see if the alignment had been disturbed. Everything was good that way and the Rs4's were only 2 seconds slower than our new slicks. We were very impressed with them. We ran for another hour or so and then the serpentine belt blew off due to a seizing power steering pump. We called it a day at that point. 

We spent more time fixing than racing and were burning close to 40 liters of premium and a quart of redline every hour. Its a beast. We had 2 shakedown track days that both resulted in a week's worth of "to fix" items. Unless we get it running more reliably, It's probably not going to be much of an overall contender car but it sure was fun on the back straight!   

Hoping to Fix, Tune and test and get it to Calabogie in September!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, macheesy said:

Our team had a punt/spin in the same location but results were far more catastrophic.  Driver was fine.  Car...it'll take some work.  My first time to Canada too - really fun to race at a bucket list track despite the results.  I'll definitely be back to give it another go.

As a follow-up, here's a video of the crash with front and rear facing cameras.  It's brutal.

• Sad 4

Shoot Jerry.  That sucks.  Tough to see a guy like Ken and team like Junction have such a bad weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miatainium said:

As a follow-up, here's a video of the crash with front and rear facing cameras.  It's brutal.

Wow...It looks like the other guy just decided to pit maneuver you out of his way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

Wow...It looks like the other guy just decided to pit maneuver you out of his way.

Was Ricky Stenhouse driving the other car?

57 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Shoot Jerry.  That sucks.  Tough to see a guy like Ken and team like Junction have such a bad weekend.

51 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

To give some context, the white BMW was the #46 Tomlinson Motorsports E36 and at that time they were running in 2nd place.  We were a couple of laps down in 10 or 11th.  This was not a pass for position. This happened 2 laps after a 15 minute FCY.    

To his credit Sal was calm and collected as the evidence was collected.  The #46 driver stated the Civic cut across the track and hit his nose, while our driver maintained he completed the pass and got hit.  After reviewing the video Sal took what he saw very seriously and issued a penalty as he felt was appropriate.  During the Sunday morning driver's meeting he referred to this incident and demanded a much higher standard of respect and concern for our competitor's safety.  

Thankfully the driver was OK and in the heat of the moment he did what he needed to.  He tried to save it, released his hands from the wheel as he approached the crash, immediately hit the kill-switch, called it in on the radio, stayed belted in car, and gave a thumbs up to the flagger to say he was okay.  

Edited by miatainium
  • Like 2

What penalty does a pit manoeuvre pull these days?

Edit: And yes, very curious to see the results too, if only to see how far back you get pushed down the field for vehicular assault.

Edited by BDG