Bill Strong

Official 2018 Grass Valley Enduro - Oregon Raceway Park - Canceled

I would enter but even if I won by one lap people would say the Mustang has enough fuel to compete.  😅

But seriously people, this is the most challenging, pucker factor track I have ever driven.   Unfortunately it is not in our plans right now.  

• Haha 1

I am watching a video now. this is an amazing track. Very MR2 ready!

It should be called BYBB - bring your barf bag.  Dramamine has nothing for it.  You could sell patches for $50 each to the unknowledgeable and pay for your race.   

Ever done VIR Patriot? 
This looks like that, but way way way better!

ORP is like a paved rollercoaster, it's fantastic.  A rollercoaster that you can drive both directions.

When you do a track walk, it's got places so banked/inclined that parts are difficult to stand up on.

If you can make it, I highly recommend it, just be sure to bring everything you need, it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Here's a playlist of our 2106 visit, there's more on the channel.

Edited by erich

Why are people not signing up for this track?

unhelpful, but i may go race there w/ a different group this year. From the videos, it looks like an amazing course....

• Confused 1

Wish we had $600 races on this side of the country, hell of a deal.

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Why are people not signing up for this track?

Three reasons:

1. Indy is at Portland the same weekend as this race so some people will go watch that.  

2. Two weeks later Lucky Dog is also doing a race at ORP.  

3. Cars have been converted to Lucky Dog rules and would mostly be EC ChampCar.  

While the ChampCar price will be cheaper I suspect the preference will be to race the series they are built for.  The difference being fuel capacity and no restrictions on speed parts.  

1. DVR it.

2. So what. Many many many many teams on the east coast do 2-week quick turns.

3. Five cars and they get to go for a trophy. And if they win, they get interviewed and their car displayed in impound like everyone else.

and thank you Ron_e

We have been eyeing this race but its a long tow for us and don't think it would be worth it for a 5 car race. Plus it looks like it will be canceled at this rate.

Edited by Wes

We're looking at this as an option, the price helps.

Ron's point about LDRL being two weeks later is about budget more than turn-around time; I know our little team can only do so many races a year. Our transport costs are just as much as the race costs and also doubles the time needed for a weekend. 14 hours one way for us.

6 hours ago, mender said:

We're looking at this as an option, the price helps.

Ron's point about LDRL being two weeks later is about budget more than turn-around time; I know our little team can only do so many races a year. Our transport costs are just as much as the race costs and also doubles the time needed for a weekend. 14 hours one way for us.

Drive down, race, fly home, fly back, race, drive home. Two races for the tow of one!

• Like 1

Interesting idea but the budget only allows one race. :)

Might have to consider that for next year though!

Edited by mender

Race is off the schedule website now. Officially canceled?

1 hour ago, Wes said:

Race is off the schedule website now. Officially canceled?

Yes, unfortunately it is. We only had one team signed up so we had to cancel it. We paid the track, but the operational expense would have severely drained us. 

• Thanks 1

Jesus this is just cringey to see. I don't understand why Champcar just doesn't get it. You might as well have scheduled a race at Lucas Oil Raceway the same weekend as the Indianapolis 500. 1 car? Really? That's pathetic. Bear in mind that I LIKE Champcar, although if it were up to me, it would still be Chumpcar. Whoever scheduled this race should have done a little research. It's just sad to see this. 

On 7/11/2018 at 4:42 AM, Bill Strong said:

1. DVR it.

2. So what. Many many many many teams on the east coast do 2-week quick turns.

3. Five cars and they get to go for a trophy. And if they win, they get interviewed and their car displayed in impound like everyone else.

and thank you Ron_e

This is exactly the kind of attitude that caused the utter abandonment of Champcar on the west coast. No concept of what the market wants and no desire to learn. Ron_e nailed it. This is the first Indycar race at PIR in 11 years, let alone any other major series. Maybe, just maybe we all want to go there that weekend.

The price of this race would have been amazing, but the market doesn't want a cheap race. The market wants a well scheduled race, the people in the northwest want a race where they don't get screwed by rules that change from year to year, and teams want to be able to develop their cars how they want to without getting dinged. I promise you, if you can somehow accomplish accommodating those elements into Champcar, northwest racers will return to Champcar. Until then, Champcar deserves to lose money cancelling races that nobody signs up for. We all could have told you this would happen. It's not that we don't want to see Champcar succeed. We do. We just are tired of watching the mistakes pile up, year after year. We could go on about how to improve the Champcar product, but we'll leave it at this for now.

We LIKE Champcar formatted races. We haven't done sprint racing since 2016 and we miss it. We like and miss night racing too. LDRL doesn't really do those things much. We want to see that kind of option succeed, we just don't see that happening with the way the rules are right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Chump said:

people in the northwest want a race where they don't get screwed by rules that change from year to year, and teams want to be able to develop their cars how they want to without getting dinged.      Well aside from the Darwin rule

This totally baffles me, we, and many others, have cars that have been around since the beginning, somehow the rule changes do not affect those cars, the cars that are affected are the ones that have been taking advantage of loopholes, glaring rule issues or ignoring sprirt/intent until the problem gets fixed. The product of Champcar is viable, turnout on the other coast is of the sellout level.

Honestly I believe this is all perception and some sort of regional mindset more then the reality of things.

And yes, I feel racing my own crap car is better then attending any race as a spectator.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 4

Is Oregon Raceway that booked that the only available weekend was the same as the Indy race?   I honestly do not know as I'm about as far away as possible.   

It definitely is a cultural difference! The Northwest is a hyper competitive environment that will never be happy with the Champcar rules as they currently stand. Everyone here in the pits has something negative to say about the rules and the constant changes, that may not be the case back east but it certainly is in our neck of the woods.

That being said, I want to see Champcar succeed as well and would love to race with them again.  The race formats, specifically, the sprints and later night races are a hoot and I know my team especially misses them. There do seem to be lots of people in the area that balk at having headlights but Team Fieroline loves to race at night. The more options for us grass roots racers the better and I think there is definitely room for the series to compete in this area.

What people don't seem to get about the Indy car race is that this is the first race in this area of this caliber in over a decade.  We don't have these sorts of opportunities very often and everyone I have talked to wants to support the track and series by buying tickets so they come back.  If we had many race series racing at tracks all over the northwest then it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal.  I for one do NOT want to be racing that weekend and would rather be at PIR for an Indy car race at my home track.  Its an opportunity I never thought I would get and I am not going to miss it for anything.

Now I have a suggestion for Champcar and I think it would help make them relevant in the northwest again. Embrace LDRL and those of us who race with them! Turn EC, or make a new class that is specifically targeted toward LDRL cars.  Come up with a catchy name and market it to those of us who are no longer legal in Champcar and let us race without all the penalty laps and bull cookies. This would allow many Champcar legal teams to race as usual but give the rest of us another outlet to feed our racing addiction. Believe it or not there are MANY LDRL cars that are not Champ legal but are no faster than good Champ cars.  There is something amazing about developing a "crappy" car and even if it never is a powerhouse some of us are very proud of what we have accomplished and are bummed that were illegal in Champcar even though were nowhere near the "good" racecars running at the front of the Champcar field. Without some sort of space for us LDRL cars Champcar will never be relevant in the Northwest again, at least not with the current rule book holding them back.

That's my $.02.

Edited by thedrue
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

This totally baffles me, we, and many others, have cars that have been around since the beginning, somehow the rule changes do not affect those cars, the cars that are affected are the ones that have been taking advantage of loopholes, glaring rule issues or ignoring sprirt/intent until the problem gets fixed. The product of Champcar is viable, turnout on the other coast is of the sellout level.

Honestly I believe this is all perception and some sort of regional mindset more then the reality of things.

And yes, I feel racing my own crap car is better then attending any race as a spectator.

1. If I had a dozen races to choose from within a reasonable drive time, I probably would have picked a car that didn't need much work so I could do lots of races for a given budget of time and money. As it is, there's one track within 2 hours of me, the next is 8 hours and the other three are 15+. From there I have the choice of 27 hours one way for Laguna or Road America.

2. The race budget gets eaten up very quickly when the cost of transport is more than the entry and running costs of the race. As a result, we do maybe two races a year, and I play with the car in the meantime when I can. Building the car is a very large part of the experience, especially when the car is a Fiero. ;) Having to redo the car every two races in order to keep up with the yearly Chump rule changes detracts from the actual development of the car. 

3. I see the closing of 'loopholes" that you refer to as a means of minimizing a certain type of build in order to appease the east coast attendees. That as much as anything also closed the door to Chump in the PNW. Only now are we seeing any significant numbers of BMWs showing up, and even so that number is nowhere near the 40% of the east coast fields. I feel that car choice is being forced in a particular direction rather than being open to diversity. Most of my day-dream builds revolve around cars intended to beat the BMWs, not join them.

4. As a consequence to my perception of where Champ is headed, if I were to build a car for Champ right now, it would be a BMW so I could reap the benefits of future rule changes that I suspect are coming rather than to feel painted into a smaller and smaller corner. 

Edited by mender

Regarding closing the loopholes on the rules vs. ruling a car out: we built our car in 2009, and ran first in 2010. Three different times, a formerly compliant car became EC because of penalty laps due to engine “swap rules” changing. Now, our 2500 pound car with a 205 horsepower engine is calculated to take 16 Laps. Like hell I’m gonna bring out a meager mid-pack car to take 16 Laps. 

When the schedule was released, and ORP was shown Labor Day weekend, I voiced my concerns. The reaction was the same as it is now. Unfortunately many racers in the region felt the same.

Last year I ventured out to the race at Watkins Glen. The ChampCar culture is very different on opposite ends of the country.