Bill Strong

2018 Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR Race Recap

12 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

This system will undergo extensive testing before release.  Currently we are in the prototype stage.  We expect and alpha variation in the Winter of 2018/2019.  Beta testing in the second half of 2019. Production ready product in 2020. This is a tentative timeline. The product cycle is very long for this type of product because this product needs extensive testing and validation. We don't want windows blue screens, cell phone reboots or overtemps, or syncing issues. 

I had one of the prototype systems in my car at Charlotte and it worked great. My only problem was in the haste to put it in it was mounted upside down. The colors were great and were spelled out, YEL and GRN, but upside down I could not figure out what they said....LOL. It was mounted up at the top of the passenger side A pillar so as to keep it's visibility to the other competitors minimal so I could only glance at it. After they told me what it said, I was like "DUH" (smacks forehead).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

Even went around the curbing on the first right hander in the esses.  Are you sure it was you in the car?

I think deep down inside that he tries hard

to break cars...

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I had one of the prototype systems in my car at Charlotte and it worked great. My only problem was in the haste to put it in it was mounted upside down. The colors were great and were spelled out, YEL and GRN, but upside down I could not figure out what they said....LOL. It was mounted up at the top of the passenger side A pillar so as to keep it's visibility to the other competitors minimal so I could only glance at it. After they told me what it said, I was like "DUH" (smacks forehead).

Doc, you needed to get a black flag too so they could test that...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

Doc, you needed to get a black flag too so they could test that...

Uh....I did, but don't think the system has that capability. Thank goodness...Something about some cones I supposedly hit.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burningham said:

Even went around the curbing on the first right hander in the esses.  Are you sure it was you in the car?

When bossman says stay off the curbs, you stay off the curbs :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Uh....I did, but don't think the system has that capability. Thank goodness...Something about some cones I supposedly hit.

Haha.  It does have Black flagging capability but we haven't yet used it in testing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

The VQ30 has proven a difficult platform for us as we are now on the 3rd engine in 4 races which is MUCH less reliable than our 1UZ or even stock KA24 was. The VQ sounds loud because the muffler packing material blew out, it normally sounds much more sedate. Obviously we're still battling reliability issues and braking problems on this little guy but it's a fun ride ;) .

Nice thing about the VQ is complete running replacements can be had for $200 at any junkyard in the country... can't say that about the KA, or my current swap.  Hell, you can buy 4-5 motors for the price of the transmission, and that's if you get a deal :lol:

• Like 1

Crazy/Awesome to see that car hit 130ish MPH on the back straight....dats fast.  I think with our ringer rental driver we hit 122 once at the end of the back straight.  

Edited by Jab31169

1 hour ago, vtjballeng said:

Haha.  It does have Black flagging capability but we haven't yet used it in testing.

Available for testing @ sebring-s

14 hours ago, Wyatt said:

That brake squeal sounds awfully familiar!  I'll let ya'll know if I can fix that with some brake pad selection, I'll be trying a new combo at Pitt later this fall.

5 hours ago, chip said:

I think deep down inside that he tries hard

to break cars...

I'm a professional, so, I simply go as fast or slow as they ask me to.

It seems like my cars break all the time, it's just more memorable since we're in 1st.

#burn

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

Where did you find black LEDs? hahahahahha

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

@RandomTask  here is some odd blocking at 6:15...

Looks like an overwhelmed and over stimulated driver.

The driver of that car at the start of the race, for me was being unnecessarily defensive, but fair.

43 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Looks like an overwhelmed and over stimulated driver.

The driver of that car at the start of the race, for me was being unnecessarily defensive, but fair.

Looks confused.  Was probably trying to get out of your way, but was just off sequence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

@RandomTask  here is some odd blocking at 6:15...

A driver on their left side as they’re getting ready to go into the right hand bend at s/f.  I see nothing to be worried about.

16 minutes ago, racerfink said:

A driver on their left side as they’re getting ready to go into the right hand bend at s/f.  I see nothing to be worried about.

It was the moves prior to s/f, but it looks like the driver wasn’t comfortable with the other car passing on the left coming out of hog pen.  So after they started to move left, they quickly moved back to the right.  No issue.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:20 AM, enginerd said:

Sooo... there might be an open seat in an orange e30 at Road America in 2 months, are you interested??

On topic... what a great battle!! One of these days the KSRD car will survive to the end of a race. That looked fun.

Sure!

On 8/17/2018 at 11:17 AM, Gearhead_42 said:

That brake squeal sounds awfully familiar!  I'll let ya'll know if I can fix that with some brake pad selection, I'll be trying a new combo at Pitt later this fall.

We ran ST-43s to last the race and they had too much bite and too little modulation for some drivers. That combined with the auditory loss of lockup when our muffler packing exited side right, we had drivers with massive lockup issues leading to tire failure.  Our normal pads are much better but we'll be doing some testing too. Curious to see what y'all find.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, Gearhead_42 said:

Nice thing about the VQ is complete running replacements can be had for $200 at any junkyard in the country... can't say that about the KA, or my current swap.  Hell, you can buy 4-5 motors for the price of the transmission, and that's if you get a deal :lol:

We've had to test this first-hand.  Typically our engines are $300-700 for good examples though so I guess you're getting a better bargain than we.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, Team Infiniti said:

Available for testing @ sebring-s

Thanks, will find out next week if we will be testing there.

What's up with the truck parked beside the track at 1:37:15?

38 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

What's up with the truck parked beside the track at 1:37:15?

That's a very interesting observation. Later in the day on Saturday, I rode one of our pit bikes up to the south paddock just to watch some of the cars coming out of Oak Tree. While I was heading up there, I saw a white/silver Ford truck drive through the grass on the TRACK side of the flag stand coming out of Oak Tree. Not sure how it got there, or why it was on the track side of the fence, but it was there. 

S.