BMW Endurance series

18 minutes ago, mender said:

Oh, they're much lighter; that's the "official" Champ weight in the swap calculator. 2791 lbs is exactly the number needed to allow an M50 swap with no points.

Most E30s are probably around the 2400lb mark as raced, as you said.

Ok...because I think we are going to get our new Bird under 3000 w/ driver. 

• Like 2

Whatever.  I’ve raced one, been on the podium with one, they are fine cars for what we do.  

There are a few premiere tracks like VIR that really attract them.  

There are some that belong to good teams that I can’t catch with the Saturn but the rest are Blocking My Way.  😉

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

I still need to figure out how to get my stock M50 to put down 191hp at the rear wheels.

Free modifications before the throttle body, ecu tune,injectors,no cats and modified exaust all alowed . 

What would be an acceptable hp number then ?   

🕵️‍  askin for a friend 

Edited by Ray Franck

14 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

Free modifications before the throttle body

So the rulebook says "• air filter, non-OE: 0 pts" but i've seen people argue either way about this ie: before throttle body or after maf.  I'd like to get a clarification on this as we've held off on putting a silicone boot on before our throttle body since its after our MAF.

51 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

So the rulebook says "• air filter, non-OE: 0 pts" but i've seen people argue either way about this ie: before throttle body or after maf.  I'd like to get a clarification on this as we've held off on putting a silicone boot on before our throttle body since its after our MAF.

I thought I was clear  . Now what about an answer to my question ?

12 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

I thought I was clear  . Now what about an answer to my question ?

You were super clear, the rule book states differently.  The motor was rated at 189 from the factory at the flywheel.  So with the around 15% drivetrain loss thats around 161 at the wheels.  Does 30HP sound reasonable with just an air filter, exhaust, and some tuning?  Or do you need to crack a motor and build it from the ground up to get that number.  What does acceptable number even mean?  I just wanna figure out how to get the same number out of my M50.  I'd guess our motors range in the 170 to 180 with the mods you listed, outside of injectors as they are just cleaned and serviced stockers.

But hell, what do I know, our motors cant make it more than 30mins in a 24 hour race  

• Like 1

What acceptable means to me is when I look up hp numbers of what different modifications can achieve . On that engine I dont have a problem believing 25 to 30 hp can be gained with non restrictive air to the throttle body ecu tune, injectors and freed up exaust . A fresh build and some dremel porting is also alowed  by the rules. So about 30 hp gain doesn't raise the haires on my neck especially if you have the best in the bizz doing it . Also 15% drive train loss is just a shot in the dark or a just about . 

That is why I ask for opinions from others cause I dont  know it all  but I can smell a rat when I see one .. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

What acceptable means to me is when I look up hp numbers of what different modifications can achieve . On that engine I dont have a problem believing 25 to 30 hp can be gained with non restrictive air to the throttle body ecu tune, injectors and freed up exaust . A fresh build and some dremel porting is also alowed  by the rules. So about 30 hp gain doesn't raise the haires on my neck especially if you have the best in the bizz doing it . Also 15% drive train loss is just a shot in the dark or a just about . 

That is why I ask for opinions from others cause I dont  know it all  but I can smell a rat when I see one .. 

25-30 seems high to me on a M50B25 which I assume we are talking about here, but there really isn’t a good way to know except with using experience of what works and some experimenting with stuff on a dyno. 

Whats up with injectors?  I can’t see how anything with them would be worthy of an improvement for a stock motor?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burningham said:

I can’t see how anything with them would be worthy of an improvement for a stock motor?

Bigger injectors = more fuel.  More fuel = more rich.  Being rich is basically the same thing as winning.  Winning means you have more power.  So by the transitive properties of stuff, bigger injectors means more power.

Edited by zack_280
made my logic infallible
  • Haha 6