Downloadable in car lap timers Android

Team Infiniti

Looks like I inherited a brand new ZTE K88 tablet, looking to run this unit as a in car lap timer, I have been told about Harrys lap timer.

What else should I be looking up?

2 built in cameras,  assuming I have cell and wifi connections, what is this unit capable of?

Live streaming? Doubt it, but can it do both at the same time? how much data?

Running a T-mobile 4gLTE data card

Anything else?

Edited by Team Infiniti

I don't think Harry's is going to be stable enough to run in our races.  It's a great track day app, gives all kinds of information, but I just don't think you can keep it running without interaction during a race.  But I drifted away from Harry's over the last couple of years so maybe it's good enough now.

We've been running the Racechrono app for many years. If you want to actually analyze the data and compare drivers you will want an external GPS (10Hz) since the internal on the tablet is likely only 1Hz, but that may be good enough if you just want general feedback of your laptimes while in the car. I've seen other people running big tablets in their cars, but we use an old phone with a small screen, I assume the bigger the device the more trouble it is to keep it powered/cool. 

54 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

The goal would be real time feedback,  post race analys would only be a mild bonus. 

Noted on the heat created by a larger device, will provide it with some cooling 

We had to add a cooling fan in the box for our cerevo/mifi/gopro set up.  Heat got us at Daytona and NCM.  Ran ok at Barber at the WRL race in August (hot as hell in Bham in August), just had connectivity issues to start Sunday morning but not heat related.

Edited by Burningham

We’ve been running harry’s But I think we got the version you pay for. It gives u lap times, predictive and current. Also breaks the track down into segments and gives immediate corner entry and exit cues compared to your best attempt through. We do run an external gps with a older iPad works great. 

Also does decent post race data.

• Like 2

If you've never run a timer before then Harry's is a good choice. You definitely want an external GPS if the tablet only runs 1hZ like ABR=Glen stated. This has been pretty much the go to for most everyone https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Multipurpose-Augmentation/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535848415&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=external+gps+bluetooth&psc=1

I did some testing and with external GPS and Harry's would occasionally be off by 0.1 sec of the transponder time while not having it could be off by as much as 1 sec.

We use racecapture for feedback from the pits, but Harry's in the car for the driver. I use the Gap setting and it can show you green or red to see if you are gaining or losing time. Just have to have it set up to see in corner of your eye.

If you guys are going to be at Sebring, I can help you Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I am ASSuming the gps is 1hz, it is not likely we will have the suggested gps module by sebring, perhaps sebring #2

Still working on getting the thing configured...

If i can remember it i will bring mine and loan it to you. I don’t use it anymore so i will check if i can even find it. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, ABR-Glen said:

Racechrono

Downloaded but have yet to figure everything out

On 9/1/2018 at 2:24 PM, krackerx said:

harry’s But I think we got the version you pay for

Having issue with Harrys, seems my T-Mobile pay as you go will not let me buy things, would have to setup CC or paypal info to the device, not sure about that quite yet...

On 9/2/2018 at 9:06 AM, thewheelerZ said:

SpeedFreq

Downloaded and rather happy with the demo interface, this may be what I was looking for 😍

On 9/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, ABR-Glen said:

We've been running the Racechrono app for many years. If you want to actually analyze the data and compare drivers you will want an external GPS (10Hz) since the internal on the tablet is likely only 1Hz, but that may be good enough if you just want general feedback of your laptimes while in the car. I've seen other people running big tablets in their cars, but we use an old phone with a small screen, I assume the bigger the device the more trouble it is to keep it powered/cool. 

Already designing a mount and looking at running a dedicated air vent, not sure about power yet.

According to one of the apps, internal GPS is 1hz, as I mentioned, this is 90% for real time, in car driver feedback, hopefully it will be good enough.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Burningham said:

If i can remember it i will bring mine and loan it to you. I don’t use it anymore so i will check if i can even find it. 

Would love to try it before buying one (or yours if you are interested in selling)

5 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Would love to try it before buying one (or yours if you are interested in selling)

Just use it for a while and make sure it works for you. We seem to show up in the same places.  I will get it back later. I will be at Sebring with another team this time and back in December in my car so maybe then. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Burningham said:

I see the latest update of Harrys says it now uses the internal gps at selectable 5 or 10 Hz so no need to have to use the external gps. I wonder if some of the other apps will follow suit?

what device are you using that has built in 5 or 10ghz GPS?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, theblue said:

The app might be able to support 10ghz, but if the hardware is only 1ghz (basically all phones and tablets) then how could it do any better than 1ghz?

Beats me. I just saw they listed it. I ran the app a few min ago and the accelerometer shows 10hz but the gps still shows 1 hz. 

I believe the 1hz is what the phone has integral already.  If you buy an external gps with 10 hz capability that can plug into the phone then what Harry’s is saying is that it can understand that increased volume of data from that and any other sensor.  

• Like 1