Bruce Mills

CC010222

My name is Bruce Mills, Captain of Uncommon Friends Racing, and we have been racing our Datsun Z car in Champcar for four seasons.  Like Jerry, I have been privileged to serve on your Board of Directors for the last year.   Having worked with Jerry on the board, I have grown to respect his intellect, character, and commitment to Champcar immensely.  I have read many of Chris Huggins posts over the years, and believe he, too, is an outstanding candidate.

I grew up near Riverside International Raceway and Ontario Motor Speedway--and saw the heyday of TransAm, CanAm, NASCAR, and Indy racing—while also crewing on SCCA cars back when club racing was affordable and all you needed to go racing was a group of friends with limited skills, a small budget, and lots of sweat to donate. Sound familiar?  That’s what attracted me to Champcar some 40 years later.

As president and owner of a healthcare construction company in Southern California, my skillset includes business management, marketing, and financial analysis—all of which have been used over the last 15 months in evaluating marketing surveys, financial statements, and member petitions as part of my Board Member duties.  I want to continue as part of Mike Chisek’s team, focusing on growing our sport and continuing to raise the level of professionalism.  How best to attract new participants and retain current members? 

Here are some ideas….

Schedule stability: Schedule stability will help racers plan ahead while coordinating with family and work commitments.  Full schedules at premier tracks across the country at the right time of year should be the goal.  This is not easy (many tracks have very few dates available), but positive refinements to a stable base schedule should be the goal.

Assistance: Ideas like helping teams that travel over 250 miles with a 15% (or more) reduction in their entry fee might provide enough incentive (financial assistance) to convince them to “make the trip”.  You could also consider helping new teams with a similar 15% incentive-perhaps for their first three events.  An extra three cars per event, times 30 events, times $1,000.00 (reduced entry fee) adds an extra $90,000.00 to the club’s “bottom line”. It's a win-win!

Rules stability: A stable rule book that is easy to understand will attract more racers, ensures your car won’t be rendered noncompetitive at the stroke of a pen, and enables you to plan your next build while racing your current car.  The board has made great progress (the rules are fundamentally the same 2015 thru 2019) and the new technical committee promises to provide even more stability and fairness.

Outreach & Marketing: Showcasing our cars and series at places like car shows, colleges with Formula SAE programs, drift events will pay long term dividends.  We need to enlist our current members as ambassadors of our sport, pay booth fees and meals, and provide them with outstanding marketing tools.  We also need to keep current members up to date on the latest news and remind them of upcoming events-and reach out to inactive members via direct email with the same information. 

Outreach & Marketing: All our teams should be encouraged to email a hyperlink of the Champcar.Live broadcast at every race they enter, along with a link to the Champcar website, to their friends, family members, and coworkers inviting them to “watch the fun”.  Racing is contagious, and it may encourage someone to come to an event, offer to help, or even start their own team.

Reduced Costs: The above measures will help promote full grids across the country-which will enable management to reduce entry fees, which will attract more cars, which will reduce entry fees……and so on.  We will all benefit from a stable schedule and rulebook, have more fun racing with full grids, and be able to race more often with more race dates and reduced costs.

Recent years have seen Champcar take it to “the next level” in the professionalism of our race organization, management, and marketing—along with improvements in the venues we race at, quality of the competition, quality of the cars, and even the skills of our drivers.  Let's keep up the momentum! 

I appreciate your consideration and look forward to the opportunity to continue serving on the Board.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 9/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Assistance: Ideas like helping teams that travel over 250 miles with a 15% (or more) reduction in their entry fee might provide enough incentive (financial assistance) to convince them to “make the trip”.  You could also consider helping new teams with a similar 15% incentive-perhaps for their first three events.  An extra three cars per event, times 30 events, times $1,000.00 (reduced entry fee) adds an extra $90,000.00 to the club’s “bottom line”. It's a win-win!

9 out of our 10 races this year met this 250 mile requirement, VRG is in full support of it!!! 😁

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Assistance: Ideas like helping teams that travel over 250 miles with a 15% (or more) reduction in their entry fee might provide enough incentive (financial assistance) to convince them to “make the trip”.

I just see this as giving a $200 discount to half the field who would have attended the event with or without the discount..... (It is my estimation [no data] that the median tow distance is greater than 250 miles)

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 9/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Outreach & Marketing: Showcasing our cars and series at places like car shows, colleges with Formula SAE programs, drift events will pay long term dividends.  We need to enlist our current members as ambassadors of our sport, pay booth fees and meals, and provide them with outstanding marketing tools.  We also need to keep current members up to date on the latest news and remind them of upcoming events-and reach out to inactive members via direct email with the same information. 

Is this similar to the regional Chumpsters that used to exist?

I have enjoyed serving with Bruce and an added benefit to having him on the Board is where he is based----out west.  He's the only Board member in the west region.  I'm technically in the central region even though I'm in Denver.  Bruce has also done a tremendous amount of research to help us understand our lack of success out there, the why's and suggestions on how to fix it.  

I think we're in a great position right now because both Chris and Bruce are invested in the club and bring a lot to the table.  Thank you for running again, Bruce. 

BTW currently every single race I tow to is over 250 miles away.  I think that line would need to be a little higher but also like the concept.  Andrew, I think I remember what you are talking about.  I believe we as the Schumacher Taxi Service received a discount to tow to Iowa from New Jersey back in 2011.  This does have the sound of that system a bit, although that one had varying levels of discounts based on how far you towed IIRC.  

Edited by Jer

On 9/20/2018 at 6:27 PM, FlorahDorah said:

Nominated. Or at least I tried to and something went through. 

@Voodoo Child - would you confirm your membership number? Thank you! 

Bruce's membership # is indeed CC010222. Just need 10222 for the purposes of nominating.

I too am looking forward to working with Bruce should he get re-elected to the Board of Directors.

His insight in the "Western market" has been invaluable as are his other contributions to our club.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Technical Advisory Committee

I agree with Jeff's comments above. The series needs stable leadership, and Bruce and Jerry have been instrumental in moving the series forward to where we're at. They will both be getting my vote. 

• Like 2