Aleru

The Marathon Coach Sebring 14 hour

3 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Got smacked from behind and spun in turn 17.  Curious if we were in the wrong here.  Of course, we don't think so, but we're happy to get some input about what y'all think.

Your car was far left on entry and dropped down to the apex. Many drivers take a line close to the end of the wall so would guess somebody figured they'd squeeze through there and you dropped in front of them. The passing driver should have seen your car moving and should have adjusted and moved left, even if it meant lifting slightly to get that slight cushion. 

Oh...BTW...

y9Ujkw.jpg

S. 

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Well, after the spin, we could see an orange mitsubishi go by - so, a significantly faster car than we are (our FTD was a 2:56) assuming the hit came from that car.  

Either way, not much damage to the car, just cracked our brand-new bumper cover and added another dent to our mangled fender.  Could've been much worse.

Don't take exception to the hit, those two orange topless mitsu's seem to run into everyone and everything on the track on a consistent basis🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

Don't take exception to the hit, those two orange topless mitsu's seem to run into everyone and everything on the track on a consistent basis🙂

yep, they even like to rear end cars under caution.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Your car was far left on entry and dropped down to the apex. Many drivers take a line close to the end of the wall so would guess somebody figured they'd squeeze through there and you dropped in front of them. The passing driver should have seen your car moving and should have adjusted and moved left, even if it meant lifting slightly to get that slight cushion. 

Oh...BTW...

S. 

Yeah, you can see him flash by in the mirror as we slid through the grass =/

In the end, we got away cheap, and that's racing.  But it still sucked!  That's the first time we've been taken out by something besides our own mistakes!

Edited by krispykritter

First time at Sebring for us. Finished the race. Tough race for us.  14hrs of Sebring is worse than 24hrs of VIR.  The track tries to rattle the car apart.

1. Flat spotting multiple tires to death
2. A car pushed us off track breaking wheel
3. Transponder failed
4. Headlight ballast failure
5. Headlight bulb failure
6. Ignition coil bolts fell out
7. Fuel sender failure, led to dying on track mid-corner but limped back to pits
8. Smaller crew than usual
9. Really loud pits so communication was harder than at some other tracks

Fun track but punishing with our setup. If we brought the car back, we'd have to reconfigure a fair number of things to deal with Rally Racing rather than Road Racing 😵.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, vtjballeng said:

First time at Sebring for us. Finished the race. Tough race for us.  14hrs of Sebring is worse than 24hrs of VIR.  The track tries to rattle the car apart.

1. Flat spotting multiple tires to death
2. A car pushed us off track breaking wheel
3. Transponder failed
4. Headlight ballast failure
5. Headlight bulb failure
6. Ignition coil bolts fell out
7. Fuel sender failure, led to dying on track mid-corner but limped back to pits
8. Smaller crew than usual
9. Really loud pits so communication was harder than at some other tracks

Fun track but punishing with our setup. If we brought the car back, we'd have to reconfigure a fair number of things to deal with Rally Racing rather than Road Racing 😵.

Yep. That’s why the 24hr of Lemon teams race the 12hr. If it can last 12 at Sebring then 24 at Lemon is fine. 

Still my favorite track 

8 minutes ago, Sully1133 said:

Yep. That’s why the 24hr of Lemon teams race the 12hr. If it can last 12 at Sebring then 24 at Lemon is fine. 

Still my favorite track 

I think you might mean LeMans.  Not lemons....

For anyone not watching the live broadcast, we were fighting a brand new overheating issue, it could be driven in traffic to 240deg then we would have to put the nose into clean air to get it down in the 230 range, during a early pit stop it boiled over, 15 min getting cooled off, boiled the next stop but not much so I drove off only to have a pop and sploosh on the windshield entering t1, upper hose blew off, temp read great but knowing better I dip off a cut after hotel, wander around dirt roads looking for the way back, follow a tow truck @ (what I thought)a cautious speed only to get yelled at for speeding, sigh, I limp another mile doing 15-20mph. Once to the pits and a garden hose, boy is it hot, a forced cool down was not healthy for the situation... Get it going but it now lays over the last 1000rpm before shifting and starts using water, I tried blowing it up but it would not, if it had water it would race, and that is what we did.

Sebring Dec with another used engine and perhaps our first NEW radiator in 9 years.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

For anyone not watching the live broadcast, we were fighting a brand new overheating issue, it could be driven in traffic to 240deg then we would have to put the nose into clean air to get it down in the 230 range, during a early pit stop it boiled over, 15 min getting cooled off, boiled the next stop but not much so I drove off only to have a pop and sploosh on the windshield entering t1, temp read great but knowing better I dip off a cut after hotel, wander around dirt roads looking for the way back, follow a tow truck @ (what I thought)a cautious speed only to get yelled at for speeding, sigh, I limp another mile doing 15-20mph. Once to the pits and a garden hose, boy is it hot, a forced cool down was not healthy for the situation... Get it going but it now lays over the last 1000rpm before shifting and starts using water, I tried blowing it up but it would not, if it had water it would race, and that is what we did.

Sebring Dec with another used engine and perhaps our first NEW radiator in 9 years.

Saw you were in 8th early on, then dropped to 35th. Saw the 20 minute pit stop, then a few more after that and thought 'Ruh-Roh'. 

52 minutes ago, vtjballeng said:

We always break stuff at Sebring.  This year we lost that CV axle, plus our tie rods ends are shot, as are our ball joints.  It's a crazy punishing track, but I adore it.  We regularly skip clear off the pavement around 17 if we go to far in or out, but there's a relatively smooth line about two car widths away from the apex.

24 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Seems like that radiator had a good run!  Good luck getting the car back together.  They don't manufacture outsize radiators for the contour SVT anymore, so we had to source an aluminum one for a mondeo from Britain.  The shipping was over a hundred dollars =(  I imagine you guys won't have that problem!

Edited by krispykritter

34 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

Saw you were in 8th early on, then dropped to 35th. Saw the 20 minute pit stop, then a few more after that and thought 'Ruh-Roh'. 

Accurate, top 10 (or top5) as well as class D win was in order up till that moment,  apologies to anyone that received my gruff for the next couple of hours (team mates included) After the "mood" passed it was all about salvaging some fun and blasting around with everyone but without the stress of doing everything right.

30 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

We always break stuff at Sebring.  This year we lost that CV axle, plus our tie rods ends are shot, as are our ball joints.  It's a crazy punishing track, but I adore it.  We regularly skip clear off the pavement around 17 if we go to far in or out, but there's a relatively smooth line about two car widths away from the apex.

Seems like that radiator had a good run!  Good luck getting the car back together.  They don't manufacture outsize radiators for the contour SVT anymore, so we had to source an aluminum one for a mondeo from Britain.  The shipping was over a hundred dollars =(  I imagine you guys won't have that problem!

Aftermarket?!? that thing came out of a 1997 5.0 explorer 4x4 and that is likely what we will buy new for.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Accurate, top 10 (or top5) as well as class D win was in order up till that moment,  apologies to anyone that received any of my gruff for the next couple of hours (team mates included) After the "mood" passed it was all about salvaging some fun and blasting around with everyone but without the stress of doing everything right.

At the time I checked, A, C, and D class cars were all represented in the top 10; B and EC were in the top 20, maybe top 15. I thought how cool would it be to have all classes represented in the top 10. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

At the time I checked, A, C, and D class cars were all represented in the top 10; B and EC were in the top 20, maybe top 15. I thought how cool would it be to have all classes represented in the top 10. 

Something stupid took us out. We were shooting for a strong finish and a top 5. We had one more stop (like everybody else) and the track was very close to dry. 

Oh well...

S. 

• Sad 1

We came out to observe and learn about the series and a race as we are building an Integra at the moment.  What a great bunch of racers and everyone was helpful and patient with all the stupid questions we had.  Really looking forward to getting our build done so we can join the fun on the track.  Again - thanks to everyone who took time out of their busy morning to entertain our questions.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Yeah, the passenger outside mirror is useless, but we do have the wink mirror which does a pretty darn good job of showing us the right hand side of the car.  We added a convex mirror to the driver's side which has increased our visibility on that side.

We used to have a wink.  It worked great for the shorter drivers but for the taller drivers the right hand side was blocked by the top of the doorframe (i.e. the two rightmost wink panes only showed the inside of the car if you were tall).  We made a change to a setup that worked for all heights.  If your wink is mounted really low, then maybe you don't have that issue.  

Edited by Racer28173

2 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

We used to have a wink.  It worked great for the shorter drivers but for the taller drivers the right hand side was blocked by the top of the doorframe (i.e. the two rightmost wink panes only showed the inside of the car if you were tall).  We made a change to a setup that worked for all heights.  If your wink is mounted really low, then maybe you don't have that issue.  

Funny you should say that.  It was our tallest driver in the car when that happened.  I'll ask him if it's blocked for him.  He hasn't mentioned it before but me might just have accepted that as a tall person problem.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Got smacked from behind and spun in turn 17.  Curious if we were in the wrong here.  Of course, we don't think so, but we're happy to get some input about what y'all think

I know its an investment, but a second rear facing camera is well worth it for situations like this.  

Looking at your footage I don't have enough information to be honest.  The real question is, did both cars get a black flag? 

8 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

I know its an investment, but a second rear facing camera is well worth it for situations like this.  

Looking at your footage I don't have enough information to be honest.  The real question is, did both cars get a black flag? 

Neither did.  We got tapped right under the bridge (where I don't think anyone could see anyway).  Our driver came in to do a once over and make sure nothing was too out of shape.  Sounded bad to him but really wasn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

All classes at least made the top 15...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

yep, they even like to rear end cars under caution.

They leave their used up fuel barrels and pallets in the paddock too, for someone else to clean up after they are done. I do not understand that group......at all.......

Thanks for the kudos everyone and congrats to everyone else who finished! What a race! I am still sore from all of the driving I did. My apologies to anyone that I might have scared in the rain by passing them with the car drifting more than going straight. I can't describe how much I like racing in the rain, its just freaking epic. 

• Like 3

The One Piece at a Time #95 Camaro was badly damaged at Road Atlanta in February. The Marathon Coach Sebring race was our first since the crash. We had planned a test at Roebling Road the weekend before Sebring but a hurricane evacuation canceled the event. 

This race was the first the car had been on the track, literally finishing items in the Sebring garage. The car performed flawlessly, for all 14 hours, we never had to put a wrench to it during the entire event. The new bolt on headlight brackets and headlights worked great. My drivers did a great job, not a mark on the car! I personally had a great time battling the #55 Camaro for many many laps, never far apart, but no contact at all. Since my broken arm 15 months ago I feared my racing days may be over, but I felt great during my near 4 hours in the car. I radioed into my team this was the most fun I have had racing in the last 2-3 years. From my perspective it was a pretty clean race, so that is definitely a plus. Nobody likes torn up equipment. 2nd in class D, 20th overall not a bad debut for our rebuilt Camaro. Better pitstops would definitely helped our overall finish 4, 8min stops, 1, 12 min stop hurt a lot. We will get better. Looking forward to next race, probably Daytona. Thanks to Mike, Andrea and the CC staff, they do a great job. BTW there was an awful amount of passing under yellow and white slow moving vehicles did not seem to faze some competitors at all. I have been racing 35 years, no excuse for not observing flags

Vince

Edited by ChevyPower95
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, ChevyPower95 said:

The One Piece at a Time #95 Camaro was badly damaged at Road Atlanta in February. The Marathon Coach Sebring race was our first since the crash. We had planned a test at Roebling Road the weekend before Sebring but a hurricane evacuation canceled the event. 

This race was the first the car had been on the track, literally finishing items in the Sebring garage. The car performed flawlessly, for all 14 hours, we never had to put a wrench to it during the entire event. The new bolt on headlight brackets and headlights worked great. My drivers did a great job, not a mark on the car! I personally had a great time battling the #55 Camaro for many many laps, never far apart, but no contact at all. Since my broken arm 15 months ago I feared my racing days may be over, but I felt great during my near 4 hours in the car. I radioed into my team this was the most fun I have had racing in the last 2-3 years. From my perspective it was a pretty clean race, so that is definitely a plus. Nobody likes torn up equipment. 2nd in class D, 20th overall not a bad debut for our rebuilt Camaro. Better pitstops would definitely helped our overall finish 4, 8min stops, 1, 12 min stop hurt a lot. We will get better. Looking forward to next race, probably Daytona. Thanks to Mike, Andrea and the CC staff, they do a great job. BTW there was an awful amount of passing under yellow and white slow moving vehicles did not seem to faze some competitors at all. I have been racing 35 years, no excuse for not observing flags

Vince

There was quite a bit of PUY, I agree. I even had it happen on the front straight. Also 13,14,15 area I had 4 cars go by me on the same lap. Again, that’s not a CC issue. Track workers have to call them in to the officials.

23 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Blowing out a CV axle at the end of the main straight.  Driver could only get grindy noises when trying to move, was scared we'd lost the clutch or trans.  Just the axle and we were back on the track:

Got smacked from behind and spun in turn 17.  Curious if we were in the wrong here.  Of course, we don't think so, but we're happy to get some input about what y'all think:

That was an awfully wide entry into T17.  If I’m in a faster car, that’s telling me “He’s giving me the inside”.

11 hours ago, jakks said:

There was quite a bit of PUY, I agree. I even had it happen on the front straight. Also 13,14,15 area I had 4 cars go by me on the same lap. Again, that’s not a CC issue. Track workers have to call them in to the officials.

Honestly, I did get passed a couple times under yellow (and may have passed once under yellow), but all the mistakes were actually corrected quickly.  The one where I may have passed, I'm not sure if he passed before the yellow, but I shot right passed him when he lifted.  One of our drivers did get flagged for passing under yellow, argued about it, then overheard the official tell the flag station to make sure before black flagging people for PUY.

4 minutes ago, racerfink said:

That was an awfully wide entry into T17.  If I’m in a faster car, that’s telling me “He’s giving me the inside”.

I agree it was a fairly wide entry, but I don't think it's too far beyond the norm.  Obviously the passing car disagreed lol