Bill Strong

2018 Pittsburgh Grand Prix

1 hour ago, miatainium said:

The Glazed and Confused Miatas were very impressive.  Any idea what's their setup?

National level spec miata driver in the car...

Everyone always forgets about having a fast "shoe" behind any wheel helps...It's not always just the car😊

And a swap to a newer 1.8 vvt motor doesn't hurt either...

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

TOP National level spec miata DRIVERS in the car...

Everyone always forgets about having a fast "shoe" behind any wheel helps...

It's not always just the car😊

And a swap to a newer 1.8 vvt motor doesn't hurt either...

FIFY

Plus Ralph (V2 owner, main mechanic) is a top level prep guy who knows Miatas very well.  Those cars are rightfully just a few seconds off pace of Spec Miatas wherever they go, basically just because of tires.  IIRC, one of the drivers is the current track record holder at PittRace in an SM with a 2:01 something.

Quick summary for the team this time around.

Bavarian Mustache Werks had a promising test day, with only a few laps in, some traffic and not pushing the limits I was down in the low 2:05s.  Figured we had some good potential in the car with expectation of getting the car into the 2:04s and maybe high 2:03s if we managed to grab some good drafting.

Friday night we ate and drank all the delicious stuff at the pot luck.  I hope everyone who tried it enjoyed the keg of Belgian Triple I brought enjoyed it! (sorry to any of the crew, family/friends or 2-4th drivers if there were any high % ABV induced fuzziness Saturday AM...  if nay 1st drivers were feeling that, then my plan worked!)

Saturday, 1st stint went well enough, with Tracy picking up some places and holding his own.  I think we were in 6th when we pitted (with the FCY right at 2 hours in).  Unfortunately, ours was one of the teams impacted early on with the timing issues and didn't record a number of laps after 2nd drivers outlap.  I figure we had 5 laps go missing there.  

2nd driver ran well, making up a few places in the standings (still no idea where we were), and ran just shy of 2 hours.  3rd driver in, newer to road racing but not to track driving.  He had good movement and car postioning around traffic, and his pace was starting to come down.  And then ~30 min in to his stint we get the radio call that he missed a shift and car was dead.   Day over...  Unfortunately, the camera decided to turn itself off on 3rd drivers outlap.  Not sure why, since data recoreded the whole session and camera had plenty of memory left and was hard-wired to the car for power.  Details I'll never know.  Data did show the over-rev was ~10k....   No bueno for an M50!

We went about to try to find a replacement engine.  Local yard had one on car-part.com.  called them and they said they had it and needed to pull it from the rack.  This was 2:10 pm, they close at 3 and its a 30 min drive.  So, Shifty McGee and I take off to go grab the engine.   Unfortunately, after some VERY interesting back roads (I've never thought I heard so many banjos in my life) we arrived at the yard.  They couldn't find it.. They brought me back to where it should be to see if I could spot it, since "I could tell ya all the details on an LS and what year and model it came from by looking at a valve cover", but they didn't know jack about BMWs...   It was either not there, or had sunken into the filth.  I have a feeling that even if we did get that engine, it never would have run anyway.   

So, we slowly started to pack up, and went about watching some racing and then went for a couple rounds of karting.  At least I pulled 3rd fastest lap of the week.  We continued to enjoy some beer and brats and had some fun hanging out at the track Sat night.

Sunday was chill, finished packing and took off about noon so I could start pulling the car apart.    

If I get around to pulling the engine apart this weekend, I'll post some pics of the carnage.

Concentrating on getting car ready for Road America in...   9 days?

Edited by NigelStu
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

Quick summary for the team this time around.

Bavarian Mustache Werks had a promising test day, with only a few laps in, some traffic and not pushing the limits I was down in the low 2:05s.  Figured we had some good potential in the car with expectation of getting the car into the 2:04s and maybe high 2:03s if we managed to grab some good drafting.

Friday night we ate and drank all the delicious stuff at the pot luck.  I hope everyone who tried it enjoyed the keg of Belgian Triple I brought enjoyed it! (sorry to any of the crew, family/friends or 2-4th drivers if there were any high % ABV induced fuzziness Saturday AM...  if nay 1st drivers were feeling that, then my plan worked!)

Saturday, 1st stint went well enough, with Tracy picking up some places and holding his own.  I think we were in 6th when we pitted (with the FCY right at 2 hours in).  Unfortunately, ours was one of the teams impacted early on with the timing issues and didn't record a number of laps after 2nd drivers outlap.  I figure we had 5 laps go missing there.  

2nd driver ran well, making up a few places in the standings (still no idea where we were), and ran just shy of 2 hours.  3rd driver in, newer to road racing but not to track driving.  He had good movement and car postioning around traffic, and his pace was starting to come down.  And then ~30 min in to his stint we get the radio call that he missed a shift and car was dead.   Day over...  Unfortunately, the camera decided to turn itself off on 3rd drivers outlap.  Not sure why, since data recoreded the whole session and camera had plenty of memory left and was hard-wired to the car for power.  Details I'll never know.  Data did show the over-rev was ~10k....   No bueno for an M50!

We went about to try to find a replacement engine.  Local yard had one on car-part.com.  called them and they said they had it and needed to pull it from the rack.  This was 2:10 pm, they close at 3 and its a 30 min drive.  So, Shifty McGee and I take off to go grab the engine.   Unfortunately, after some VERY interesting back roads (I've never thought I heard so many banjos in my life) we arrived at the yard.  They couldn't find it.. They brought me back to where it should be to see if I could spot it, since "I could tell ya all the details on an LS and what year and model it came from by looking at a valve cover", but they didn't know jack about BMWs...   It was either not there, or had sunken into the filth.  I have a feeling that even if we did get that engine, it never would have run anyway.   

So, we slowly started to pack up, and went about watching some racing and then went for a couple rounds of karting.  At least I pulled 3rd fastest lap of the week.  We continued to enjoy some beer and brats and had some fun hanging out at the track Sat night.

Sunday was chill, finished packing and took off about noon so I could start pulling the car apart.    

If I get around to pulling the engine apart this weekend, I'll post some pics of the carnage.

Concentrating on getting car ready for Road America in...   9 days?

See you there buddy!

I went to test my car. Sucks still. We have a plan for you all at Road America. Tested Rob's car in the wet. I ran a 2:18 and was happy. Was able to have a good time at the pot luck and be a God Parent that night to one of the sweetest little girls. She was baptised at the track. Saturday was on crew duty. Was prepared to help @NigelStu do an engine swap. Thanks @wvumtnbkr for convincing him to try it at the track. Had a good time Sat night and watched the UFC fights. Sunday it was time to perform. Rob and I tried to double stint. We had problems with the car overheating and cutting out along with crappy brakes. Made Turn 16-17 fun. 

Every race I attend the comradery gets better. We all get along. There is close racing. This is the best amateur endurance series out there and I am proud to be a member of it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

I went to test my car. Sucks still. We have a plan for you all at Road America. Tested Rob's car in the wet. I ran a 2:18 and was happy. Was able to have a good time at the pot luck and be a God Parent that night to one of the sweetest little girls. She was baptised at the track. Saturday was on crew duty. Was prepared to help @NigelStu do an engine swap. Thanks @wvumtnbkr for convincing him to try it at the track. Had a good time Sat night and watched the UFC fights. Sunday it was time to perform. Rob and I tried to double stint. We had problems with the car overheating and cutting out along with crappy brakes. Made Turn 16-17 fun. 

Every race I attend the comradery gets better. We all get along. There is close racing. This is the best amateur endurance series out there and I am proud to be a member of it. 

We ran all weeeknd with only two drivers. Seemed like a good idea on Friday! By the time I finished the final stint Sunday I was toast. Thankfully we didn’t have any major repairs to perform. On a related note I need a bigger Cool Suit box. 

I like your thought about comradery. I have met so many great people in my 5 years in this series. Found out that there is a team 5 minutes from our shop and now we share pits at any race we both attend. 

This IS the best amateur series out there and I’m proud to be a member of it as well.

• Like 5

Hey y’all. Slower Lower Racing here. Yes, we race the truck.

First off, thanks for The Major Award. Sorry we weren’t there at the beginning. It takes us awhile to get our redneck heap of junk back on the trailer. We do appreciate the community of ChampCar. Both kinds words and skepticism alike. 😉

We had a blast at PittRace. Couple issues after practice but that was it. Saturday was our first time racing the the rain, so that was interesting. We are all still pretty green when it comes to road racing but I'd like to think we get better every lap. 

This was our last race of the season but the plan is for an off season diet and maybe a few more horsepowers. We are already looking forward to next season. 

• Like 5

Hello to all, More Chump than Champ here (#88 e36)

Thanks to all the staff of this great series, even with the equipment timing problems we knew you had it under control.

A weekend of almosts for us except for the fun - We nailed that!

This was the first time we stayed at the track via renting a travel trailer (New Sponsors Opp). If you have not tried that yet you should. We had five in our Hillbilly Heaven, which was the actual name of the trailer. I didn’t even know they name trailers like they do boats. A special thanks to ABS Motorsports who had us over Sat. night for a post race feast, Bruno and Julie worked the grill like pros to keep the crew and drivers fat and happy. As Brian and his team dropped a working motor into the 139 car under the lights, we told stories of the day and relived the glory days of scoring 4 touchdowns in a single game at Poke High.

Thanks again to ChampCar we know you work hard all year to make the events happen.      

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jamie said:

@Bill Strong loved the race recap. Is this new?

I think it is, and I have to say that the always improving broadcasts and media make the series even better. Hats off to Paulie and everyone that makes the fantastic media what it is. 

• Like 2

T&A had a great time in Pitt, thanks the the track and champcar for putting on such a good event and the weather for being nice. 

We had a good time with lots of quick laps but small repairs like ball joints kept us out of the running for anything.

I have to share this, my phone turned the pic into an video:

https://i.imgur.com/lQduPCW.gifv

Edited by theblue

9 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

@Bill Stronggreat job on the video recap!  It really tells the story and it works well in Facebook to get more people interested!

Paulie puts together a hell of a product. Thank you. will pass it on.

• Like 1

Does anybody have the link for the person that was taking pictures at the track? I saw him handing out flyers but wasn't able to track him down.

I would appreciate if you would take a few minutes to review the ChampCar broadcast for the time involved. Team Troxell was NOT blocking.  This was confirmed after the race by ChampCar officials. Team Sahlen intentionally wrecked Team Troxell’s #09. This was confirmed after the race by ChampCar officials. Team Sahlen admitted to blocking Team Troxell’s #325, even hitting them twice to prevent a pass.

Don’t take my word for it.  Watch the video.  Start at 51:21 left in the race. With 31:25 left in the race, you can see Mustard let Charcoal pass.  Why would he do that if he was trying to win the race?  At 30:53 watch Charcoal go inside #09, hit him in the rear right with his front left and take both cars off track left.

ChampCar officials and announcers were listening to the corner workers.  The corner workers had it wrong.  #09 never blocked. #09 did not initiate contact at any time with either Mustard or Charcoal.

#09 turned personal best laps twice during the time he was accused of blocking. #09 kept up with its teammate, #325. If the purpose was to slow Team Sahlen down, why would he do that?  In fact, Mustard’s average lap times were faster when #09 was in front of him than his next 7 laps after Team Sahlen’s Charcoal wrecked #09.

Watch when Mustard attempted to pass #09 in turns 10-11 with 37:27 left.  #09 gave Mustard room and the contact was due to Mustard.  7.2.2. The responsibility for passing another car and accomplishing that pass safely rests with the overtaking driver.

Team Troxell races clean. I’d appreciate your honest assessment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay T said:

I would appreciate if you would take a few minutes to review the ChampCar broadcast for the time involved. Team Troxell was NOT blocking.  This was confirmed after the race by ChampCar officials. Team Sahlen intentionally wrecked Team Troxell’s #09. This was confirmed after the race by ChampCar officials. Team Sahlen admitted to blocking Team Troxell’s #325, even hitting them twice to prevent a pass.

Don’t take my word for it.  Watch the video.  Start at 51:21 left in the race. With 31:25 left in the race, you can see Mustard let Charcoal pass.  Why would he do that if he was trying to win the race?  At 30:53 watch Charcoal go inside #09, hit him in the rear right with his front left and take both cars off track left.

ChampCar officials and announcers were listening to the corner workers.  The corner workers had it wrong.  #09 never blocked. #09 did not initiate contact at any time with either Mustard or Charcoal.

#09 turned personal best laps twice during the time he was accused of blocking. #09 kept up with its teammate, #325. If the purpose was to slow Team Sahlen down, why would he do that?  In fact, Mustard’s average lap times were faster when #09 was in front of him than his next 7 laps after Team Sahlen’s Charcoal wrecked #09.

Watch when Mustard attempted to pass #09 in turns 10-11 with 37:27 left.  #09 gave Mustard room and the contact was due to Mustard.  7.2.2. The responsibility for passing another car and accomplishing that pass safely rests with the overtaking driver.

I rewatched that section of the broadcast a day later and came to the same conclusions as you. 

I hope your cars did not sustain serious damage in these collisions.

Edited by enginerd

I know I'm just the cook and fuel guy (for a team not involved, and didn't finish), but...

We are all out there to have fun.

poop happens, and it's not always fair.

But I hate you, and you hate me?

If "we" continue down this road of blame, then we will just have teams ruining future races out of spite.

The finish "At the Flag" was incredible (regardless of what happened to get there)!

I think it's time for a handshake, and to move on to better, more, future races.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fitsbain said:

I know I'm just the cook and fuel guy (for a team not involved, and didn't finish), but...

We are all out there to have fun.

poop happens, and it's not always fair.

But I hate you, and you hate me?

If "we" continue down this road of blame, then we will just have teams ruining future races out of spite.

The finish "At the Flag" was incredible (regardless of what happened to get there)!

I think it's time for a handshake, and to move on to better, more, future races.

Did you watch the race coverage?

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

FTR... 

The ChampCar live people do not listen to the corner workers. we are only on the CCES channel. 
I pass onto the show what I hear on the CCES channel.
We were told the info came from the corner workers and that is how race director gets his information to make an informed decision. 

On 10/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, notbob said:

First, let me say, we had a great weekend.

Haven't been to Pitt to race in a few years and the new track is awesome!

Thanks to the track, Champcar and everyone that was there.

In regards to Sahlens/Troxell incidents:

In the Champcar live feed for Sunday, at the 6:43 mark in the video, Troxell #09 makes contact with Mustard twice.

Was he blocking. I would say so and based on the no contact rule, he gets black flagged. 

(BTW...I would love to see the video from Charcoal or #09 for the spin incident at 6:49 in the live feed... a little hard to tell if Charcoal got squeezed and #09 made the contact and spun or if Charcoal went wide and gave #09 a tap... I will see if I can find some other footage on that)

With that being stated... If you watch Mustard prior to (several laps) and after that (several laps), for turn 1, he sets up down the front stretch to the outside of turn 1 and comes down and hits the apex... as is the line and expected...

Now, fast forward to 7:17 in the video (last lap or next to it)

Troxell #325 is behind Mustard as he was passed a lap back.

Troxell gets a run down the front stretch on the inside. You can see Mustard driving in the mirrors. Mustard never sets up to the outside of 1 like he normally would for the ideal line and stays pretty tight to the left/center. In my opinion, he blocks and bumps #325 twice. Troxell did a good job not to panic and keep the car straight.

Here was the in car of what #325 saw during that bumping: (watch #325's hands... he never moves the wheel to the right, so IMHO, mustard came down on him and initiated the contact/block both times). How was this any different from what Troxell #09 did a few laps back and was black flagged for? Should it matter that this was the last lap or not? Had #325 got pushed a little harder to the left (I think he already had a wheel or two off), I believe the outcome would have been pretty bad had he spun from it...)  Should that not have been a 2 min penalty for Mustard like the #09 based on the contact?

I'll go get the popcorn ready...

The second contact by mustard had to be intentional (he had to know he was there). 

In my opinion, he should have raced it clean and left the BMW room.   That’s what I would have done.  Not just because that is what I think is right, but because my team would kick my a** for putting a dent in the door intentionally.  Guys that bring cars in with an 18 wheeler have the budget to ruin things, so I’m not completely surprised by the move.....

5 hours ago, enginerd said:

Did you watch the race coverage?

So I haven’t watched all of it yet, but the part I watched said that they black flagged the 09 and then DQ’ed him when he didn’t respond on the first lap that the flag was shown. Is that really what happened?  If so, that is pretty surprising.  Almost every amateur race series shows the black for a few laps before taking more drastic action, since almost no one reads the sign board correctly the first time they see it.   I’ve seen Champ let a car go 6+ laps on a car before.  

Maybe I misunderstood the commentary - I hope so.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay T said:

In the thread that is now locked, I wish you would have pointed people to this thread.  I now better understand why you asked the questions you did.  It would seem that your team was held to a different standard than the other team. I haven’t seen that happen in the past much (maybe the Dyno run at the Championship....) so I still don’t think there is a massive problem, but I certainly see why you guys are fuming a little bit.  Sorry - that sucks.