What is your 2018 Season Recap for your team?

• Administrators

Well it is officially 2019 and our new season is beginning very soon.  But lets take a look back on 2018 and how did your team do?

Were you able to meet your goals?

What were the expectations?

What are your plans for 2019?

Team Sterm had a disappointing 2018 only entering 1 race (Watkins Glen) and destroying the car on the first day.  Our goal was to install a VTEC head on our Acura Integra and use some of the points we had left on the table in previous seasons.  We had sorted out our axle issues, improved the handling and stopping, now we just needed seat time and a tad bit more power to try and run up front in A class.  We expected to compete in 2 races and have no DNFs after making so many improvements in the off season.

2019 brings a new car, 1991 BMW 318iS formerly campaigned by a successful Chump team from several years ago.  A refresh to the fluids and consumables is all we really need (decals too, of course) to hit the track this May at Watkins Glen.  The plan is to have the entire team get comfortable with the RWD platform and continue to get faster with at least 2 race weekends again this season.  The part out of what is left of the Acura will be begin shortly if anyone has any requests.

1) we didn't race enough...  

2) we won the EC trophy at Road Atlanta after hitting the wall on lap 3 or so by a large margin

3) the team hauled from central Florida all the way up to the WRL Road America race.... EPIC weekend!

4) broken wheel bearing in LR at Sebring made for adventurous fun

5) the fix for our fuel starvation issue kept us out of Barber... a good thing perhaps?

2018 started good but ended sour.  Hopefully 2019 gets us back on track.

• Technical Advisory Committee

In a nutshell, had a 50:50 season.  Half being just off the podium for the standard version of racing, other half being much closer to the "podium" in the golf version (lowest # laps 'wins').  Goal was to have fun with my Dad and brother, and that goal was definitely achieved!  Secondary goal was adding to the trophy collection, and we were oh so close!

Out of the 4 weekends: 6th, 35th (DNF), 47th (DNF), DNS, 16th (minor crash), 4th, 4th, 32nd (DNF)

Long version:

2018 was a bit of a rebuild year - figuratively and literally.

All new complete car build after we were helped to retire the old TBR car at Road America fall race last year.   Anastasia (Ana for short) was a complete chassis tear-down (with some good fun weekend of help from the teammates) and build-up.  Lots of rebuild/refresh parts with goal to make a better car than what Tubby molded into greatness over a number of years.   It mostly worked.   Still kept the front tow hook.   Its still red.

We did get the whole Bavarian Mustache Werks gang back together (Tracy being the other original team member), and even pulled our former main crew guy up into drivers duties.  This team aspect was all sorts of awesome that just adds a whole other level to the fun.

Racing wise, the car was pretty good out of the box.  Faster than last year, but not fast enough to keep up with a chunk of the competitors' improvements.  We came out of the gate fairly strong, grabbing a 6th place at Gingerman first weekend out after battling through some pretty shite weather and none of the drivers really feeling at ease in the wet with the setup on the car and discovering a couple of issues that directly impacted performance. 

The new build wasn't without some teething issues, as the engine I found locally from a fellow autocrosser only had about 16 hours of run-time left in it.  Unfortunately, Saturday was a 8 hour race and I put about 4 hours of test time on the car..   That left us a tad short for Sundays 7 hour race as we smoke screened the back straight and made really cool sparkly bits out of the engine...  Ended up 35th out of 45 for Sunday.

Snagged the old TBR motor from the wrecked car a few weeks later and get it installed in time for Pittrace.  Practice day there showed some promise, but a missed shift by 2nd driver ended our day.  Had a VERY interesting experience at a local salvage yard, but alas, they couldn't even locate the CAR the engine was supposed to be from/in...   that weekend was done, but we did get to have a blast on the kart track and the special Mike C milestone (100 races?) pot-luck was a spectacular good time.

2 weeks to Road America.  I managed to source an engine locally (from Spartan's - thanks!) and get it installed and running.  A few other small improvements, but missed out on a key one.  Improved some of the handling stuff we found at Gingerman/Pitt.  But it was cold and started to rain.  Quickly changing conditions caught me out and I did something I rarely do.  Spun the car coming out of 3.  Found a tire wall.  Damage didn't look bad at all, but it pushed the exhaust up under the bumper and I was feeling a little nauseous by the time I got back to pit lane.  That took a bit of time to fix, crew did a great job using unusual tools/methods to get things about back in place and sent me back out for rest of my stint - dropping form about 8th to 55th.  Team ran well rest of the day, eventually switching over to the A/S tires we should have put on when I pitted for the repairs and managed to crawl up to 16th.

Sunday went much better, clean race other than a BF call for contact that never happened.  We lost a lap at the time of the BF, but were given most of the time back via being allowed 4 min pit stops (ended up calculated at losing only about 1 min, which wouldn't have made a difference).  Good weather pretty much all day.  Team ran well.  The cold weather helped with power, and made the car thirsty.  The improvement I did not get to was with fuel system, and we 'starved' with 3 gallons left in the tank on the 2nd driver near end of his stint.  We pushed it to 1:50 so that we could make the race without an extra stop.  He nearly ran out of gas at pi-in.  Remaining drivers had to run fuel conservation mode, and we were able to make it home in 4th.   it felt AWESOME to get the car up into impound with so few races on the car!  We also got lucky enough to win a door prize basket full of goodies (ya'll really should stick around for awards ceremonies!)

Made some more changes for VIR and made the trip down there.  Weather was as nutty as you'd expect Global Warming / El Nino impacted mid eastern coast to be.  Kept it clean with solid driving all around from the whole team in the treacherous conditions.  I had an epic chase down in the last stint, managing a pass that finally stuck to snag 4th place going into turn 1 on the last lap.   We had a good dinner and some delicious beers that night.  Sunday was going well, crawling up to 6th/7th by around half way point of the race until once again rapidly changing conditions caught us out and one of my drivers lost the back end of the car when the inside tire spun up very quickly on a new slick spot through the uphill and he made one of the corner workers poop his pants by trying to high-five him out the window.  Luckily (ish) the guard rail was there to stop anything terrible from happening.  Broken and bruised, we changed the necessary parts to get Ana on the trailer and brought her home.

Repairs underway with a few more improvements planned for 2019 while we are at it.  First race will be the Championship in Charlotte.

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 3

For Burningham, we started 2018 with high hopes.  We finished 2017 on a roll with 3 wins and a second place (2 WRL, 2 Champ) so we thought we had it figured out.  Didn't take long to realize not so.  Rd Atl - failed trans, Daytona - electrical issues, NCM National Championship - ended the first day in the lead, diff issues on 2nd lap of 2nd day then failed fuel pump ended it, WRL Barber - 3rd place first day and blown engine on the second day, Barber in December - smashed the front end into the armco on first day, Sebring in December - fuel pump on first day and taken out by reckless EC car on second day.  Pretty much a disappointment the entire year, other than having fun hanging out with my team and everybody at the track.  The highlight was racing against my cousin and his Pomona Speed Shop team from California at Daytona and the NCM national championship.  Good stuff.

When driving with other teams, it was a pretty good year.  4th place with Danger Racing at Charlotte, 3rd place with Huggins at the VIR 24, 2nd place with Cone Crushers at Sebring in September, and back to back wins at the dual 8's at AMP with Danger.  Maybe the plan should be to drive with somebody else this year, that seems to work out better.  Nah, got an Indy race to get ready for.....

Good luck everybody going into 2019, be safe out there.

• Like 1

I'll do my own personal recap as it really sucked.....

Scheduled to drive RA Spring Race...........................................................Snowed out.....

Scheduled to drive the Crank Yankers Car at Nelsons............................Find out I'm getting back surgery number 3 so have to bow out

Back Surgery Moved Back...........................................................................................................

Drive with the team at BIR........................................................................3rd on Sat., Broke Sunday, but did go back out and set a track record, which was fun.

Had Back Surgery.......................................................................................Missed Gingerman

Find out Back Surgery didn't fix issue......................................................Scheduled Lumbar Fusion

Miss Road America Fall Race.....................................................................Have Fusion Surgery

Miss Barber Race........................................................................................Become Forum Troll

Keep on Trolling.............................................................................................See ya all at NCM 2019!

• Sad 1

Premium Dudes had a fantastic season.

From a mechanical side of things we have never been better...not a single missed lap in 2018 for mechanical issues or contact.

We raced against the hardest competition yet and brought home 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, and 5th at Midwest races.

We have an epic 2019 planned with ChampCar including Indy and Laguna Seca!!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5

At road America this spring, we were ripping pretty good, then we broke the car, (TPS picked up a dead spot and gave us a misfire and a rev limit of 5000 RPM.  No time to Diag, so we ran it.  Finished respectively.

At Nelson Ledges we were running rather well, then at about 10 hours we broke the car.  The engine just shut off.  Diagnosis revealed that the flywheel was no longer attached to the engine.  Pulled gearbox, but the crankshaft was damaged.  Contemplated installing spare engine with spare clutch, but couldn't find spare flywheel bolts, and all the old ones were broken.  Packed it up and went home.

At BIR everything was working great and scored a class podium in the other series on Saturday.  Sunday was off the a similar start, but after a handful of laps we broke the car.  Piston No. 1 developed a hole/crack in spectacular smokey fashion.  Spent a few hours changing an engine, then spent the rest of the day having fun.

2019 goal.  DONT BREAK THE CAR!!!!!

Team Hugh Jass had great fun in our 2nd year of racing, accomplishing a few of the goals we set ourselves after 2017:

First event away from our "home" of VIR: Memorial Day weekend racing at WGI, had a blast at this great track - https://imgur.com/a/MombnX5

First finish in the 24hr of VIR: 3rd in class, 12th overall - https://imgur.com/a/MIfEfQ3

Help ChampCar set-up the iRacing series - https://forum.champcar.org/topic/18732-champcar-sim-series-2018-winners/

We're really looking forward to 2019, including a couple of mechanical upgrades and, hopefully, a trip to Indy.

• Thanks 1