Team Infiniti

V6 e30 Quasi Build Thread

3 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

If you re-arrange the correct check balls to manualize the valve body, and boost the line pressure is it still an automatic?

Unrelated, but Paddle shifters are 0 points because driver comfort right?

I really shouldn't be left to my own devices....

Pretty sure it already could work manually but honestly, not many teams can say "never had a $$ shift"

Not the shifting that handicaps, its the 70+ lbs of fluid coupling that sucks hp + adds squish *

*See infiniti vs Icks Sebring vids, pay special attn when we enter Bishop, the smaller engine + 5 speed pulls away every time, the next brake point is where we recover position.

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

What if

852 vs 816.........245/45-15 vs 245/40-17

or

852 vs 806.........245/45-15 vs 255/40-17 (because we have some half burnt shark tires)

stock 195/60-14  is 869 rev per

Saying this

Anyone have some wide 15in rims in 4x100?

You really want to stay with 15 inch wheels, the suspension was designed to work with a 23 inch diameter tire like most of the small cars from the 80’s and 90’s raced in the ChampCar. Like Huggy said you go from 205-50 to 225-45 to 245-40 and basically keep the diameter the same.

E30’s use the same bolt pattern as a Miata so cheap wide and light wheels are readily available, spacers as required to clear your struts.

I talked to the guys at PRI and supposedly Phils has a new shipment of Jongbloed wheels on the way so that is a great source. You can get on the Jongbloed – Hankook cycle of buy them in the spring when they are available…

This is a 245-40-15  on 15X9 Jongbloed Miata wheels, if I was doing it again I would go to 15X10

586d465e164e0_IMG_20161029_0847410101.thumb.jpg.853eea7f61539fe34537d1766f5d2a73.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

This is a 245-40-15  on 15X9 Jongbloed Miata wheels, if I was doing it again I would go to 15X10

Will shop for 15x10 but going to build with 17X9 because already own.

What size spacers make miata offset wheels fit bmw?

Shopping list getting longer:

Anyone have a set of wheels or spacers or stud kit for sale @ Rd Atl?

16 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would buy the wheels and make a couple plywood spacers and measure. Then buy the exact spacer that you need. There are tons of 4x100 spacers on Ebay from 5mm all the way to 30mm. The ideal spacer may depend on the tire (if tire rubs on strut) as well as the wheel it is mounted on, so saying “what spacer for Miata wheels?” is only have the story.

Also, your thread title says ‘qusi’, not ‘quasi’

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

I'll sell you my spacers, I never need them. They are 4x100 aluminum wheel spacers. 

24 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

If they have any in stock Phils lists an E30 15X10 that you may be able to use without a spacer. In my case I had to make really thick front adapters to clear the struts, but was able to use much thinner ones in the back. The plywood is a good idea for a mock up, a lot of people use stacks of washers, myself I just model it up in cad. Everyone defaults to what they are comfortable with.

29 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Also, your thread title says ‘qusi’, not ‘quasi’

I saw that and said "koo-see" in my head.  

• Haha 1

Aggravated, working on a customers car,defect alternator, 2.5 hr job...  must have fumble fingers... Fixed

Edited by Team Infiniti

27 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

You sure the E30 is classy enough for you? With one of these you'd have even more points to play with  :P

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/d/bad-axe-1986-bmw-636csi/6785720535.html

Are you connected with this guy?   :ph34r::P

4 hours ago, theblue said:

why an E30 for a swap like this?  I would think there are lower point cars you can build from.

• Haha 1

Ok, fast e30 guys, time to brag, how much hp do you get to the wheels?

Edited by Team Infiniti

RVA was 170ish at 6000rpm. At NCM last summer 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

150whp is about normal for a well running e30 team IMO. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

You might be right, but at the same time, all it would cost us would be the removal of a piece of Aero.

I think you are underestimating the ramp up in the swap math.  If the E30 weight goes back to where it was your proposed swap would be a 100+ point adder.

• Like 1

What happens if you cam it? Head seems to flow well and intake looks decent? ECU is free.

Edited by turbogrill

We were getting  just over 140.  100% stock motor/ECU.  A few years ago we were fast.  Over the last two years we were fast-ish when the car was healthy.  We will probably end up swapping to an M54 to go fast again, but that might not happen this year :(.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, red0 said:

150whp is about normal for a well running e30 team IMO. 

I know about a multiple time race winning and podium e30 that is putting down numbers within that ballpark with a healthy engine and good tune.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not sure about spacers needed to go from Miata to E30 fitment w/ miata wheels, but the two cars have different hub bore sizes to take into account. I'd also pay attn to offset if you're shopping for new wheels. 

3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Alright, how light can one be in race trim?

less than a convertible..

@hotchkis23 probably still has some weights jotted down from the fall Road America race.   The lightest ones didn't necessarily go across the scale.

We are aware of hub vs bore centric, a little confused tho, for my, our teams, entire life, wheel studs have done a fine job holding non-center-fitting wheels on, yeah I know lug bolts suck, will someone tell me why lug studs will not work if the wheel does not fit center.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Alright, how light can one be in race trim?

At RA, the ecotech swapped e30 weight was 2180, then the average for stock drive train cars was 2300ish lbs.  Those were full fuel cars also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lug studs are usually too fat to fit in aftermarket rims stud/nut hole.  They usually aren't long enough either.  Plus stud/nuts are easier to start during a race,  when you usually are in a big, big hurry to get things done.  All of this really does depend on the the rim you are using though. 

• Like 1