Team Infiniti

V6 e30 Quasi Build Thread

53 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Tell me why, I thought oem abs would be the only thing allowed for zero points

True, you can only use E30 ABS on your E30. But what MHR is saying is that E30 ABS isn't the greatest. If you want good BMW ABS, you want the MK60 system out of the late model E46 cars. Fully selfcontained Bosch unit.

• Like 1

Yes, get the ABS.  Endurance racing, ABS>noABS regardless of how good it is

You should get the engine bay pigtail going to the body harness, as much as you can get.  You should also get the interior pigtail coming from the ABS computer, located under the drivers kick panel on the left, as much as you can get.  Also get all four wheel speed sensors, they are about $100 each new.  Dont unplug them, just cut the wire on the body harness side as far back as you can.  The only other option is to get the entire body harness, which isnt as bad as it sounds.  I did it in about 2 hours at a junk yard.  If you get that, it contains high quality wire with many colors and will be useful to you.

Also get the Master Cylinder, Booster, and the hardlines between the master and the pump.  You will also need the "knee valve" cylinder, which on the drivers frame rail below the master.

Also, my Non-ABS cars dont have the brackets welded to the body that hold the ABS pump.  I had to make them from scratch.  If your PNP lets you cut/grind, I would get those to make your life easier.

The ABS comptuer can be easily zip tied out of the way, so its bracket isnt as useful.

If either car has the fuel filter bracket still, which is bolted to the frame rail below the master, below the power steering reservoir, and uses a hose clamp to attach the filter, I would like them for my collection.

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1

Had my hand on it today, even with 3 random junkyard customers/e30 enthusiasts loaning a hand, I  ran out of steam and time, left the pedals, 2 rear ss hoses and the abs.

Scouted this car @ 10 am, untouched, by the time I cleared out of work around 2:45,  the rear springs and diff were in some guys wheelbarrel, had to chat him up for a bit to get the springs but he kept the diff w/ urethane mount.

Ok, what did I score

Nice, looks like it already has delrin RTABs and Subframe Bushings.

It gets even better, because of this particular day, and this particular car, fate put me face to face with the seldom seen manager of the You Pull & Pay, I was able to pick up the conversation I’ve been having with him for the last three years.

I would like to announce our first real sponsor

Team Infiniti is now Presented by U Pull & Pay West Palm Beach!

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 11

25 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Nice, looks like it already has delrin RTABs and Subframe Bushings.

Is this what I need to raise sub frame up or no? Camber/toe?

You don’t want to do that.

send it like it is in the video.

• Thanks 1

Back to the junkyard today, a wet miserable day, got the two remaining rear brake hoses the pedals and complete ABS system front to back .

Someone is going to have to show me how to put the gas pedal back in, it doesn’t make sense now that it’s piled in a bucket 

Video later 

Aside from the engine, clutch and windows, there are no moving parts left on this car

Edited by Team Infiniti

On 1/25/2019 at 3:26 PM, Huggy said:

Yes, get the ABS.  Endurance racing, ABS>noABS regardless of how good it is

You should get the engine bay pigtail going to the body harness, as much as you can get.  You should also get the interior pigtail coming from the ABS computer, located under the drivers kick panel on the left, as much as you can get.  Also get all four wheel speed sensors, they are about $100 each new.  Dont unplug them, just cut the wire on the body harness side as far back as you can.  The only other option is to get the entire body harness, which isnt as bad as it sounds.  I did it in about 2 hours at a junk yard.  If you get that, it contains high quality wire with many colors and will be useful to you.

Also get the Master Cylinder, Booster, and the hardlines between the master and the pump.  You will also need the "knee valve" cylinder, which on the drivers frame rail below the master.

Also, my Non-ABS cars dont have the brackets welded to the body that hold the ABS pump.  I had to make them from scratch.  If your PNP lets you cut/grind, I would get those to make your life easier.

The ABS comptuer can be easily zip tied out of the way, so its bracket isnt as useful.

If either car has the fuel filter bracket still, which is bolted to the frame rail below the master, below the power steering reservoir, and uses a hose clamp to attach the filter, I would like them for my collection.

Did this word for word, isolated the abs harness, chased all 4 corners all the way to the dash light, no cut wires.

Going to need a schematic at some point.

Remind me a few days before the race to pack that filter bracket.

Edited by Team Infiniti

1 hour ago, Ray Franck said:

what about all that sheet metal and bumper 

This aint a smash em up car, that behavior will be reserved for The St Lucie County Fair, March 2nd in my brothers neon.

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Did this word for word, isolated the abs harness, chased all 4 corners all the way to the dash light, no cut wires.

Going to need a schematic at some point.

Remind me a few days before the race to pack that filter bracket.

This is a pretty complete guide to all things e30 electrical: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rdxc-public/1987+BMW+3+Series+Electrical+Troubleshooting+Manual.pdf

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

This aint a smash em up car, that behavior will be reserved for The St Lucie County Fair, March 2nd in my brothers neon.

having spare sheet metal is almost a guarantee you wont need it ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

having spare sheet metal is almost a guarantee you wont need it ..

I got your word on that cause I have acquired a full set of spare metal this winter. Winter is long in Iowa and I need something to do.

Going to hold you to it. 🙂

It was -14 yesterday and going lower on Wednesday plus we have about 10-12'" of white frosty snow.

Oh back to the thread going to be a killer project!

• Haha 1

We may do more in way of preliminary/basic mockup but essentially, all meaningful work is on hold till people get a grip on themselves.

Sitting here idle, looking right at a beautiful pile of infiniti & e30 junk I want ot ask, is this proposed build something people fear is going to ruin the series if completed with a few pts to spare or is this build what made this series interesting and great?

Edited by Team Infiniti

8 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

We may do more in way of preliminary/basic mockup but essentially, all meaningful work is on hold till people get a grip on themselves.

Sitting here idle, looking right at a beautiful pile of infiniti & e30 junk I want ot ask, is this proposed build something people fear is going to ruin the series if completed with a few pts to spare or is this build what made this series interesting and great?

I'm rooting for you!

If it is considerably faster than other front running e30 teams, I would expect it to get smacked down a bit.  

I expect it to be competitive but not a game changer based on pace.

I like it!

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

A simpler question is whether it's worth building regardless of the laps that you might get.

That keeps it as your personal decision, not a forum rules debate.

Edited by mender

Personal decision is to Build competitively but never something with penalty laps, would rather throw it all in the dumpster then start out hobbled when,right now, the car is free and clear of laps.

Law of unintended consequences can potentially alienate our first proper sponsor.

Keep this  debate going on the other thread but remember what’s best for the series may not be the best answer for what you’re trying to do.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

In a roundabout way, this build may still prove competitive cars can be built in a junkyard.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be too quick to eliminate the penalty lap route, the main reason for "close" finishes is pacing by the driver, not limits of the car.

21 minutes ago, mender said:

I wouldn't be too quick to eliminate the penalty lap route, the main reason for "close" finishes is pacing by the driver, not limits of the car.

I would not be entirely sure it works like that everywhere, yes, people want to see how fast their car can be for a few laps but you can be assured, many fall back to the lowest time sustainable for half a dozen reasons not related to running away with the field. (driver consistency, fuel burn, tire/brake management etc.)

Come and see, a excellent excuse to ditch that northern weather and enjoy our 65deg winter racing ;)

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 1

You know Ed this one is hard to say, lots of work and effort to see it get an adjustment to go to EC. I'm all for it as it is the true spirit of the original series

and would love to see it on track. It would be so much fun seeing go and hearing the auto shift, but?????????????????????

Now on to 65 degree weather can you push that north tomorrow please. We are to start with -18 air temp and not move up much from that and ten might hit -32

that night. That will be some records!!   Wind chill in the -52 range

• Haha 1