Burningham

Road Atlanta - It was a hot one on a cold day

8 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Thanks for the perspective chip and guys....confirmed I am somewhat normal, but not fully :)

Alot of the cars I have driven don't have the pedal spacing to heel toe (little toe big toe really) well, and it seems like I do my downshifting a little later than most. I am doing it a little after initial turn in, with a throttle blip, just before I want to apply some drive power again. Usually I am in FWD cars and having to "diamond" the corners more than a RWD, I think this habit developed around trying to make the car turn (clutch in, diff if limited slip unlocked) when otherwise tight. Like the sc300, I don't row down each gear because I don't have the clutch out mid decell. 

Driving more RWD cars it seems like I need to try downshifting earlier, and see if it helps my timing and entry speed. The few rwd cars I have done (at least the small rwd cars) all seemed like I could have carried a little more entry speed and rounded the corner more, which is I think is part of this unlearning FWD habits. I think in RWD cars I might be too "busy" near the apex with my method, and getting the shifting done sooner might let me spend more effort wheeling the car.

In cars where pedals were not spaced well for heel and toe I have used the same method but it always costs me time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mender said:

Yes, he's doing heel and toe but only gets half the blip needed before letting out the clutch and dragging the engine up past the 6300 rpm fuel cut-out. He was very proud of his downshifting and felt that I was wrong to criticize his heel and toe technique - but I was the car and engine builder so I won. :)

It's a Fiero so not your average RWD, and I find that our Civic is much more forgiving of a miscue/over/underrev.

Yea, I tend to churp the rears a few times when I jump into a RWD and under rev the downshift while braking and turning all at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

How many of you downshift and use engine braking (downshift early part of braking) vs late in the braking event? I tend to do it really late, closer to the point where i want to apply maintenance throttle\get to the gas than when i start braking. 

Sort of a fwd habit (use engine braking differently to create balance change) and a desire to keep the potential for high\over revs down on decell\downshift, but curious how a typical i am (probably very). Might also be a car owner thing (if you gotta do the motor swap work for an over rev......).

More than beginning or end of brake zone, I try and be more mindful of trying to have a good amount of overhead in the rev range while downshifting. I like to make sure that when I go down a gear, the RPM of the next gear down isnt in to the rev limiter or close, just doing what I can to go a bit easy on the motor.

Here is a good video of me going 6 to 3 in the NBY Nissan at VIR last summer. You can see my brake pressure isn't the most consistent as I heel/toe. I would be curious what sort of percent change I'm creating from that "nominal" brake pressure vs what happens when I go for the throttle to grab the next gear down.

Edited by mindspin311

With my car, I try to get the braking and shifting done before I need to turn in.  It really helps me carry corner speed and just focus on being smooth.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Ouch, yeah, 1k is quite a price.  Then again, we've spent more than that working on getting our radio comms sorted out well, so might be worth it at some point.  The gauge info in the gopro isn't extensive either - all I want it GPS speed, g forces, etc.

Is everything on the HUD on your videos direct from the camera?  It accepts inputs from sensors directly?

One of our guys is currently working on an arduino based AIM SOLO type device to help us work on lap times an consistency.  We'd also like to get a telemetry system set up so the pit guys can watch the gauges for the drivers.

The SmartyCAM gets it's data from an AiM Logger. Solo2 DL, MXm, MXL2, MXS, MXP, MXG. We have our MXG connected to our ECUMaster. We have the RCP / Podium Connect Telemetry and our own that is pretty basic and we plan to just make an open source cheap system for series like this. We don't have the time to make a fully fledged interface so we'll let the community play with it.

• Thanks 1

What about ODB1 cars?  Any love for us?  How are you doing it @Huggy?  Our solution for now is using the apex pro and comparing laps, but its not a full fledged data logger as you guys are using.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

What about ODB1 cars?  Any love for us?  How are you doing it @Huggy?  Our solution for now is using the apex pro and comparing laps, but its not a full fledged data logger as you guys are using.

He's on megasquirt which is a solid solution for all the loggers. His MXL2 has direct sensor inputs as well. If you are running stock OBD1 ecu, you wire sensors direction which requires MXm, MXL2, MXS, MXP, MXG.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

As James said, 146 is on megasquirt - so I get a significant portion of data from the megasquirt CAN output (timing, injection, TPS, stock engine coolant temp sensor, IAT, voltages, etc).  I have analog sensors for coolant temp (redundant), oil pressure, oil temp, brake pressure, and coolant pressure.

246 is OBD2, so I get can data from the bmw ecu protocol.  I am working on getting more data by developing my own can protocol - things like factory oil temperature, timing data, etc can be transmitted over CAN and logged, but not through the standard OBD2 language.  246 has the same compliment of analog sensors. 

I only have one Podium Connect device, and I have been less than impressed with the software (although, to be fair, Brent @ autosports labs has great customer service, is working on software improvements, and the hardware has been solid), so when James is willing to share his open-source telemetry I will be the first adopter on the other car.

If you are still on the e30/e36 stock ecu, you will need to get data through an analog input (the MXL2 has 8), and if you want more data you can use something like this analog-CAN device made by Race Capture (I havent tried this one yet)  https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/analogx-4-channel-analog-to-can-interface/

• Like 2

Talking some next level stuff here.  I've looked at the Megasquirt stuff from DIYAutotune, I just lack the knowledge (I haven't tuned anything since I had a Hondata KPro in a RSX) and funds.  We will probably keep kicking the can down the road on data until we can really dedicate some time and money to it as a team.  Thanks for the info, I might pick both of your brains in the future about it.

Here is the 350z crash.   I expected more contact to induce a red mist situation.   

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Snake said:

Here is the 350z crash.   I expected more contact to induce a red mist situation.   

Wow.  Looks like he forgot where the track went.  He never made it anywhere near the right hand side of the track at the kink.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Snake said:

I believe it was this driver's first race ever, so he probably didn't manage the contact very well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

I believe it was this driver's first race ever, so he probably didn't manage the contact very well.

That's a pretty rough 'first race ever' experience!  The conturd might not be the fastest thing, but it's been pretty great to learn in.

16 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Wow.  Looks like he forgot where the track went.  He never made it anywhere near the right hand side of the track at the kink.  

Yeah, the whole thing was bizarre. You can see I came up on these guys into T6 and just followed them through since the RX7 went under the 350 out of T7. When I saw the contact, it appeared to me that the 350 swerved toward the RX7 after they separated. Not sure what was going to happen with these two, I just decided to follow to avoid getting caught up in any untoward attempted acts of retribution, lol. You can see that I just eased up in 4th and short shifted into 5th as I watched the 350 start to veer off track. I had no intention of trying to squeeze through there and have the 350 bounce off the wall and into our car.  

4 hours ago, Snorman said:

Not sure what was going to happen with these two, I just decided to follow to avoid getting caught up in any untoward attempted acts of retribution

F'in smart driving and good spider sense @Snorman. Meanwhile, remarkably poor decision making by both the RX7 and the 350Z in T7. I agree it looks like the Z just forgets to follow the track and pays a big price pinballing down the chute.

• Thanks 1