Alchemy Autosport

Delrin vs Poly bushings

We've been running poly bushings in the Miata for a couple years without issue. Our new car came with delrin bushings. 

Does anyone run delrin? Has anyone had durability issues since they are harder and technically more susceptible to cracking?  I'm a little nervous about it but don't want to swap them if I don't have to. 

Delrin is all kind of superior for bushing...less galling ,from self lubrication  .harder for a precise fitment , and pivot free action...cost more , but worth it ....only better in my experience is spericals

6 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

We've been running poly bushings in the Miata for a couple years without issue. Our new car came with delrin bushings. 

Does anyone run delrin? Has anyone had durability issues since they are harder and technically more susceptible to cracking?  I'm a little nervous about it but don't want to swap them if I don't have to. 

I would say all the bushings being pivot points your concerns about cracking would be a non issue. No severe shock load from rough terrain. That would be my .02.

Not from personal experience, but in my internet forum browsing I came across a case concerning rx7's.  There is company that sells coilovers that have all delrin bushings. One day on track the welds holding the bottom mounts ripped off both rear shocks.

I'm not saying this will happen, but I think it's a pretty good rule of thumb that basically all suspension systems need at least some room for deflection.  If a force is going through any particular piece, and that force is enough to deform a hard poly bushing, that force doesn't go away if you eliminate the bushing deflection... it just acts on another part of the system.  

Just my 2 cents. 

I actually went back to mushy rubber bushings on parts of my suspension after putting in poly bushings and having bad results. 

• Like 1

you don't deflection in a suspension piece ..you want a friction free movement in the designed direction.. shocks move in several directions as the suspension compress'es  and extends..most race shocks use spherical bearing to accommodate this ...think of the difference 1/8 toe in can have on your handling...that and more would all be easily lost to mushy rubber bushing

17 hours ago, Alex3000 said:

Not from personal experience, but in my internet forum browsing I came across a case concerning rx7's.  There is company that sells coilovers that have all delrin bushings. One day on track the welds holding the bottom mounts ripped off both rear shocks.

I'm not saying this will happen, but I think it's a pretty good rule of thumb that basically all suspension systems need at least some room for deflection.  If a force is going through any particular piece, and that force is enough to deform a hard poly bushing, that force doesn't go away if you eliminate the bushing deflection... it just acts on another part of the system.  

Just my 2 cents. 

I actually went back to mushy rubber bushings on parts of my suspension after putting in poly bushings and having bad results. 

You will have that problem no matter what until you lose one of the bars... 

Some joint locations in some cars need the added flex for the suspension to move (need non axial deflection). Some swaybar link bushings come to mind, and my neon rearward front lower control arm bushing...

If the joint only requires rotation along the bolt axis, sure delrin is pretty good. 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2019 at 5:52 AM, Black Magic said:

Some joint locations in some cars need the added flex for the suspension to move (need non axial deflection). Some swaybar link bushings come to mind, and my neon rearward front lower control arm bushing...

If the joint only requires rotation along the bolt axis, sure delrin is pretty good. 

Thats a solid point.  Fox body rear arms come to mind here...

3 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

Are torque specs the same when installing delrin vs poly vs OEM rubber?  Should you check the torque any more frequently?

The clamping torque should always be on the sleeve and not be any different that I can figure.  

• Like 1