Sign in to follow this  
turbogrill

Turbo chargers for low boost applications

Hi,

At some point in life I want to add a low boost turbo to my car, seems like a nice way to get some HPs. My car came with a turbo engine, it's essentially the same engine as NA but with turbo bits. So it's an easy swap (also have Megasquirt so even easier).

Thinking something like 7psi and a small turbo but it seems like a lot of turbos are made to make 500hp out of a 2.0L engine at 25 psi or something. 

For instance this is a BW EFR turbo:

image.png.bdc7eeb27d6039e1a1f0765e5cec1091.png

My 2.8 L engine will almost outflow it and puts it in a strange operating point.  

Point 2 = 3000 rpm
Point 3 = 4000 rpm,
And so on. So Point 6 at 7000 RPM is probably not realistic.

Would the above turbo be a terrible choice? I like the EFR since they have all the gizmos built in.

A better selection would see your points go through the middle of the peak efficiency island and likely start closer to the compressor surge/stall line on the left. That one's a little big from what I can see.

image.jpeg.0595d159ebd2c81fee1e9eeda5c79b8c.jpeg

As an example. this one seems to have lower boost capabilities, with the island extending down to the 1.4 bar range (5.9 psi). I'm sure our local turbo expert will arrive soon to educate me (please!) on the plethora of modern choices. :)

Edited by mender

@turbogrill I believe BW has a smaller one than that, the 6258.

However, it looks like you would stay in the center of the map you posted if you stopped being a wimp and turned that hypothetical boost up 😋

I personally love MHI (Mitsubishi) turbos as the best bang for the buck

If you pick up a used Evo VIII or IX turbo, you will have nearly all of the goodies of the EFR except the integrated BPV and they are journal bearing vs ball bearing.

It may also be a better size for what you are looking for. You can find compressor maps for a lot of Mitsubishi turbos on the web.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

However, it looks like you would stay in the center of the map you posted if you stopped being a wimp and turned that hypothetical boost up 😋

I personally love MHI (Mitsubishi) turbos as the best bang for the buck

If you pick up a used Evo VIII or IX turbo, you will have nearly all of the goodies of the EFR except the integrated BPV and they are journal bearing vs ball bearing.

It may also be a better size for what you are looking for. You can find compressor maps for a lot of Mitsubishi turbos on the web.

Agree.

The big 16G or 18g framed turbos would be fantastic on an L series for endurance duty.

Maybe too small for a fun street car, you could likely achieve a really fat power curve that behave much more like a large CC engine vs something with forced induction.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, Scribe said:

Haha yes. That would give me like 500hp. Not sure if it's a good idea to triple the output of the engine...