What seat are you running

Please don’t buy a cheap seat. You want one that has proper protection for shoulders and head restraint. I know they run more than a simple seat that still legal for Racing but in reality your life or potential life injuries is well worth the investment along with a light proper fitting helmet.

Race tech OPM Sparco would be the manufactures I would look at there are others out there that have a great reputation, I’m just not familiar with sitting in those particular seat.

• Like 4

Agree with @Shawn Sampson, halo or no go!

we run a sparco circuit wide version. We ran a momo Daytona XL before it was retired following a hard crash. 

The momo fit me great (6', 180lbs) and was a great compromise for my bigger drivers (IMO as the team/car owner!!  I.e. I will compromise a little and they sucked it in and appreciated the extra confinement the tight seat gave them). The halo was fairly thin (your helmet couldn't move much side to side). 

The sparco is much wider feeling but seems to have higher thigh bolsters. The halo is much wider as well. Could be a fit issue for a smaller car. I still fit nicely but definitely less snug. I hear less whiney comments from the big boys like "my hips are numb" now too, so that's a bonus!😂

• Like 2

I crashed last season in a Cobra Imola S composite seat (FIA certified).  This was a non-Halo seat and I would never run a non-Halo seat again.  The seat did it's job, but was cracked back to front on the right hand side after the 75 mph offset impact with a guard rail.  My new seat is an FIA approved Sparco Halo seat (I forget the name as my brain is mush prepping for the Glen tomorrow), get a comfortable seat that has all the bells and whistles from a safety standpoint and ensure it is installed correctly and fits the drivers correctly.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

I crashed last season in a Cobra Imola S composite seat (FIA certified).  This was a non-Halo seat and I would never run a non-Halo seat again.  The seat did it's job, but was cracked back to front on the right hand side after the 75 mph offset impact with a guard rail.  My new seat is an FIA approved Sparco Halo seat (I forget the name as my brain is mush prepping for the Glen tomorrow), get a comfortable seat that has all the bells and whistles from a safety standpoint and ensure it is installed correctly and fits the drivers correctly.

Why would a halo seat be better in a crash? Did you feel like your head was exposed?

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Why would a halo seat be better in a crash? Did you feel like your head was exposed?

I would assume for side impact neck protection if you are wearing a Hans. I have an Neckgens that adds some side protection so have a halo seat is less important to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I saw that post. Trying to get a few more opinions. Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Sounds like the team is either leaning towards the bimarco with the head restraint or the Kirkey with the head restraint (series 70 I believe?)

OMP HTE-r.  Cheap halo seat that's available in 2 widths.  Also check out the OMP RS-PT2.  Same seat as the hte, but they made the driver side halo narrower so it fits in a miata.  Little heavier because they had to make the material a lot thicker to make up for the lost cross section in the shape of the halo, but a very compact seat that can fit not very compact drivers.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=12847

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Eggy44 said:

I saw that post. Trying to get a few more opinions. Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Sounds like the team is either leaning towards the bimarco with the head restraint or the Kirkey with the head restraint (series 70 I believe?)

If you want comfort, I would stay away from Kirkey. I haven't sat in a Bimarco. For the head restraint I'd go Momo or OMP. 

• Like 1

Just Saying...

Here is my story on a full containment seat and WHY I WILL NEVER GET IN A RACE CAR W/O ONE - 15+yrs ago racing a GT3 2nd gen RX7

For years a friend of mine had been asking me to get a full containment seat, which I did but it was because I got a great deal on one. 

As fate would have it... 2 weeks later I was hit in the drivers side door (not sure how fast but its not a slow corner) by a stock car that had lost its breaks interning T3 at Willow Springs. I was just at the exiting when I was hit (glimpsed the front hood before contact).. When I came to, I was about 50yrds from the contact spot and the car was still rolling...  3 door bars where pushed all the way into my seat and the car was totaled. I got out of the car through the window and just started walking. To this day, I cant remember why I got out or where I thought I was going...

The next day I felt FINE... 100%... no issues. There is no question that seat saved my neck and back from a lifetime of pain... if not my life- Just saying...

• Like 3

After a personal tragedy watching a friend die in a racing accident at low speed without a HANS or halo type seat,in the early days when no one used either Pro or amateur.  I tried learn as much as could about basal skull fractures and how I could prevent this from happening to anyone in my car.  I found friends at Racetech who were working with Dodge on the Viper race cars.  They share info they probably weren't supposed to shareDodge was sled testing seats since they were selling the cars directly and wanted to be sure they were safe, lawyers probably forcing the issue.  I saw some crazy sled videos of seats failing in dramatic fashion.  I bought myself a new Racetech extra wide for my fat gut.  It took a while to get use to the HANS and halo seat but I cant imagine racing without the combination.  Now there are many options and all the big manufacturers have their take on the halo seat.  Find what fits you and get it installed now.  I will be buying a new Racetech but they are not the only game in town anymore.   Also dont forgelt the right side net as well.  Before my friend died I had a very high speed crash at turn two at Willow Springs and luckily I hit on the drivers side and my head was restrained by the widow net.  If I had hit on the passenger side I might not be here to post about race seats.  

• Sad 1

Most are fiberglass, kevlar, carbon or a mixture.   They are solid and tested to provide support in a crash.  Along with a proper head and neck support device gives you the best chance to survive a crash.  Also be sure seat is mounted properly to the floor and reinforce the floor if needed. Kirkey, butler, ultrasheild and others make aluminium seats with halo features. 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

If you want comfort, I would stay away from Kirkey. I haven't sat in a Bimarco. For the head restraint I'd go Momo or OMP. 

BiMarco is comfortable. Running Bulls has drivers from 5'9 160lbs to 6' and slightly less than 200lbs. I've not heard any complaints. The only thing I've added is a couple of side bolster pads.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 9:36 PM, jakks said:

BiMarco is comfortable. Running Bulls has drivers from 5'9 160lbs to 6' and slightly less than 200lbs. I've not heard any complaints. The only thing I've added is a couple of side bolster pads.

BiMarco was good for the price point.  We found some extra money and moved to an OMP and its much more comfortable by a large margin IMO, YMMV.  

I emailed bimarco regarding the hammer seat versus the grip.  The short answer is that the grip has an fia sticker.  The hammer does not.

They said something about the back cushion is stitched different, but the gist was that they are the same if anybody wants to save $200.00 on the sticker (since its not required).

38 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

BiMarco was good for the price point.  We found some extra money and moved to an OMP and its much more comfortable by a large margin IMO, YMMV.  

Seats are like shoes, I think. JAS car #80 had an OMP seat in it and I found the BiMarco more comfortable that is in #46 and in RBR #160.

• Like 1