Bill Strong

Handling EC cars in our series - Part 2

Thank you for the info, we appreciate it.  I think much of the west coast thinks like you.  All we can do is keep trying to get you back. 

And we certainly aren't banning EC, just trying to clean up the standings for the qualified teams.  

On 6/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, Black Magic said:

Not to fear monger, but we get murdered in attendance by another series with classes (lemons) on both coasts. 

How much of that is their open rules to find a place to put you\compete, vs the partying and burning man outlook on cars.....i admit hard to tell. But people there do go to compete against cars in their class, and B C D lemons cars keep the timing and scoring app open alot....

While true, there is still only 1 rule set and 1 overall winner.

They just happen to hand out more than 1 trophy.

2 hours ago, B-Rad said:

I really hope this doesn't get misconstrued as a "rule change". 

It's not, our first attempt will be effective at NCM.  This is procedural.  

• Thanks 1

What kind have cars have shown up to a race and have been turned away as they are too fast even for EC? I genuinely don't know if this is once in a blue moon or every race weekend has a couple of cars way beyond our rules. 

9 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

What kind have cars have shown up to a race and have been turned away as they are too fast even for EC? I genuinely don't know if this is once in a blue moon or every race weekend has a couple of cars way beyond our rules. 

CC hasn’t turned anyone away.  I really don’t think they should. If an EC car shows up and does things to hurt the chances (wreck) of a classed car then maybe they need to address that situation. As I’ve stated before, we’ve had classed cars with just as much straight line speed as the Cayman wreck people out. Banning an EC car just because of speed sets a bad precedent. 

If the pace car never picks up an EC car as the leader would that not solve the problem. 

EC cars are making up 20 percent of the field at most races this year.  They never get protested they are so easy to tech too.  I Promise no more 3.8 liter Porsche racecars, LOL

• Like 5

2 hours ago, National Tech said:

If the pace car never picks up an EC car as the leader would that not solve the problem. 

EC cars are making up 20 percent of the field at most races this year.  They never get protested they are so easy to tech too.  I Promise no more 3.8 liter Porsche racecars, LOL

Thats half the problem.  The other half is explaining why my "top ten finish", actually shows up on speedhive as a 12th place finish.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, National Tech said:

No it really doesn’t.  If they aren’t in the race they don’t need to show up in results. Adding 1000 laps fixes it. Easy peasy.  They have their own results to look at at the bottom of the page.     That’s my opinion.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

No it really doesn’t.  If they aren’t in the race they don’t need to show up in results. Adding 1000 laps fixes it. Easy peasy.  They have their own results to look at at the bottom of the page.     That’s my opinion.  

Does race monitor/hero display negative laps as actual negative?  Or do they display 0 until you overcome the deficit?  If it only ever shows 0, then I could see that as being a big turn off to EC teams.

6 hours ago, tommytipover said:

:)Except there were no FCY an Elkhart, and 437 cautions at Watkins Glen.

I think in all the years(7+) I have been going to Chump/Champ races there, I can count the number of full course cautions on 1 hand....and that includes 1 red flag too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Does race monitor/hero display negative laps as actual negative?  Or do they display 0 until you overcome the deficit?  If it only ever shows 0, then I could see that as being a big turn off to EC teams.

I go in waves of how I feel about this.   Tonight is a a wave of "Then they can build a car that is with in the competition rules like the rest of us and they will be in the line up with us."   Tomorrow I may feel like accommodating them more.

I tried looking at results of this years races earlier today, and its a joke trying to figure out who really did well with the EC cars mixed in.   

I'm not worried about it, I believe its being taken care of.   Jer has told us plans are in place, and they will get it solved

14 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

I think in all the years(7+) I have been going to Chump/Champ races there, I can count the number of full course cautions on 1 hand....and that includes 1 red flag too.

Cuz the Road America crews ROCK!

3 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I go in waves of how I feel about this.   Tonight is a a wave of "Then they can build a car that is with in the competition rules like the rest of us and they will be in the line up with us."   Tomorrow I may feel like accommodating them more.

I tried looking at results of this years races earlier today, and its a joke trying to figure out who really did well with the EC cars mixed in.

Build to the rules, don't build to the rules, it's not so cut and dry.

We built our previous car to CC spec.  But due to team scheduling conflicts, as well as other unavoidable consequences of life, we ended up running some WRL races with the car, even though we were outgunned class wise.  Racing more at local tracks is more important than being brand loyal,

With the new build, the waters are murkier.  There are the same scheduling conflicts as always, it makes sense to again build a car capable of competiting in both series.  With BIR less than 2 hours from my doorstep, the series that supports my "home track" deserves to get more of my entry fee dollars, so it only makes sense to build to their rules.  Our chosen platform should do well near the top of GP2, but some of the reliability items we plan, may make the car a better fit in EC vs taking laps with CC.  We spend enough time/money re-prepping as it is, and I don't plan to de-tune just to achieve ABCD classing.

Just because we likely won't fit the rules to the letter doesn't mean we won't want to know how the car is doing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

The Speedhive results do a fine job at sorting out the EC cars, the problem is that the ABCD cars aren't really separate classes (or they are, depends who you ask). That's a peculiarity to CC that I don't think you really expect the rest of the T+S world to embrace. 

14 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

The Speedhive results do a fine job at sorting out the EC cars, the problem is that the ABCD cars aren't really separate classes (or they are, depends who you ask). That's a peculiarity to CC that I don't think you really expect the rest of the T+S world to embrace. 

Really?   I just looked at Road America again thinking I must be missing something.   The winner (Ludicrous Speed) shows in 4th place on Saturday's race.   What am I missing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Really?   I just looked at Road America again thinking I must be missing something.   The winner (Ludicrous Speed) shows in 4th place on Saturday's race.   What am I missing?

"Results by Class"

27 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

"Results by Class"

6 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Just looking at overall.   That is the prize right?  

We have classes???? (Where is the green font?)

17 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Just looking at overall.   That is the prize right?  

Right, if the "classes" were entered as EC and everyone else (the two real classes) it would show you what you are looking for.

You want ABCD lumped together, right? So the problem is that CC is calling them different classes and you aren't.

5 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

Right, if the "classes" were entered as EC and everyone else (the two real classes) it would show you what you are looking for.

You want ABCD lumped together, right? So the problem is that CC is calling them different classes and you aren't.

Wouldnt this actually be the best way to do it?  Make two classes for T&S, EC and Champ.  For every one of the Champ class cars, use the naming convention A- XYZ Racing, C- Wheelhouse Racing, etc.Then EC cars can still follow the "overall" results, then at the end of the race add your 1000 laps and call it a day...?

8 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

You actually have to look at a different page to see classes. The default results screen on speedhive lists the Ludicrous speed as 4th.

The default page should show the real winner of the race. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

You actually have to look at a different page to see classes. The default results screen on speedhive lists the Ludicrous speed as 4th.

^This × a bazillion. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Yes!!!!    The first thing to come up should be the winner of the race!!!    

8 minutes ago, enginerd said:

In the rest of the free world the car that completes the most laps is the winner, you need to accept that the way we do it is unusual.

As I have suggested previously CC can get around this limitation of 3rd party software by publishing it's own official results and present them however they want.

Speedhive is just a user friendly (debatable) collection of transponder hits. 

• Like 2