Ice box hold downs

Bill Strong

Same thing happened in my wreck.  I will engineering a much better solution on the new build.

The flying cooler actually set off the fire suppression system.  Adding to the list of things needing replaced on the new car.

Edited by SonsOfIrony

18 minutes ago, rod rammage said:

What did you use to anchor it and did it break or what?

Factory strap and tray.  On ours it appears to have broken all the mounting tabs of the cooler, and the cooler itself is shattered, so it's hard to tell what failed first.

4 minutes ago, rod rammage said:

Factory strap has a plastic clasp, yes?
We use a 1 inch ratcheting cargo strap for our 40 pound cool box.

Ours was metal.  The strap is still intact on the floor.

Anyone who looks at those little plastic tabs on the coolshirt brand cooler and says “yep, that will hold”... I am shaking my head.

I ran a 1” ratchet strap over the top, looped through 1/2” steel square tubing welded to the floor as my anchors. The cooler is constrained from side to side movement by 1/2” steel square tubing forming a frame around the cooler feet. 

Strap over the top does make it more difficult to add ice in a stop. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

I cut holes in the trunk floor and ran two 2” ratchet straps crisscrossed under the floor and over the top of the cooler.  If it comes lose, I bet we have bigger problems than just an airborn plastic cooler.  We could still fuel, top off the cooler, and have time left on the timer.

@Bill Strong  Is that a hard rule (ie going in the book) or are these will be tech'd for safety on a case-by-case basis?  Running a strap should be a last minute fix for a poorly secured box.  IMO, if the box is secured in the car properly hopefully we're not required to run an additional strap.

Our first one broke loose from those stupid tabs in a side impact so we engineered a mount that will better handle a multiple G impact.  Its similar to Huggies (although, not as pretty).  Welded up a bolt-in steel frame thats bolted to the OE passenger seat holes, then ran thick steel straps up the side of the box.  We ignored the little tabs on the box and ran some threaded furniture feet through the side of the box, silicone sealed, and then affix the straps to the furniture feet.  The entire cooler would have to fail (rip the sides off) for it to come loose in an accident.

13 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

Our first one broke loose from those stupid tabs in a side impact so we engineered a mount that will better handle a multiple G impact.  Its similar to Huggies (although, not as pretty).  Welded up a bolt-in steel frame thats bolted to the OE passenger seat holes, then ran thick steel straps up the side of the box.  We ignored the little tabs on the box and ran some threaded furniture feet through the side of the box, silicone sealed, and then affix the straps to the furniture feet.  The entire cooler would have to fail (rip the sides off) for it to come loose in an accident.

Pics please?!

I use a 19qrt tank with two tie straps on the side. Nothing strapped over the top. I used m8 hardware to secure a two 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and strung a strap through it  on both sides of the tank (I removed the hook from this side of the strap). I secure it to the floor with two harness eyelets. I seal the inside with dap sealant (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQWXEO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I made a cross brace in the floor to support the tank in the rear. 

Edit: also note that I put a foam padding under the tank. so the tank is not 100% rigid to the floor.

It's rock solid and does not leak. 

tank1.PNG

Edited by MichaelPal
  • Thanks 2