Your top three tracks we run, and why!

No honorable mentions, keep it short and sweet.  Only top three.  I'm interested in why.

Since I started the thread, I'll post first:

1) Watkins Glen.  A combination of technical elements (the boot) combined with big balls sections of the esses, the bus stop, etc.  It has everything.  Add in history, prestige and the Seneca Lodge and it is unparalleled in North America.  Winning at the Glen was the most emotional time I've ever had racing.

2) Nelson Ledges.  Where else can you run through a fog bank at 2 AM trying to make the kink WOT?  A drivers track, simple in design but complex to figure out how to go fast.  Momentum tracks are a blast and this is a key one despite the complete lack of amenities.  I really debated between this and others, but winning at NL is in a way like surviving a war.  I've never won there but hope to someday.

3) Laguna Seca.  I almost did not put this here, but I miss it and can't wait to go back.  The track is simple, but hard to master.  It flows so well that Miatas can compete fairly with HP monsters.  It has the lore of being a Can Am track, the famous corkscrew, and nice facilities.  At night there's dinner on the wharf.  I'm still surprised it's on my list but I really really love this little track.  

• Technical Advisory Committee

1) Gingerman

It races great and has tons of safe passing areas. 

You don't need huge HP to be competitive because of the short straights 

It is easy on equipment, which makes racing possible for low budget teams

It is designed with safety in mind which is good for a club that is designed as an entree level budget series. 

2) Autobahn Country Club (south course)

It races great and has tons of safe passing areas. 

You don't need huge HP to be competitive because of the short straights 

It is easy on equipment, which makes racing possible for low budget teams

3) Road America 

It races poorly because it is all just a series of giant drag races 

You need big hp and big fuel 

It is brutal on equipment 
If you screw up, you might be on your way to the Hospital

It adds great balance to Gingerman and Autobahns "Club" feel. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 2

1. Barber!

Probably the most beautiful track out there

The museum is awesome

The track is so much fun to drive and you don't get much time off

HP doesn't win here

2.  Gingerman

Has some nice elevation changes

Plenty of run off if you screw up

Track owners embrace the racers

3.  Autobahn(South and Full)

Really fun to drive fast

Lots of space to pass

Lots of run off

Seeing people arrive via helicopter and being met valet style with their track car as they get out was amusing...

Least Favorite(I know not asked but want to anyways)

"The Donneybrooke"

Pits are terrible!

Hard on equipment

If it rains cars go into the wall from the sticky stuff on the drag strip

Boring outside of being flat out through turn 1

Never seem to draw much for teams

• Like 1

Road America - because Eggers from the gearbox. Real talk though, because it has turn 7 and the carousel and if you're not having fun in those you're doing it wrong. It's also so hard on consumables and fuel, and punishing when you get it wrong that it really feels like endurance racing. It doesn't hurt that its a beautiful place to be either. (I might be biased on this, home base is 10mins from the track) 

Gingerman - Nice, low key track that has a good mix of places for handling and power to shine. And the back section is a hell of a rollercoaster. 

Nelson Ledges - 2mile track. Brake twice. Enough said. 

• Like 1

I may have to try Gingerman.  Originally I had Barber #3, but my heart said Laguna.  Love me some Barber, can't wait to go back.  

I'm really lucky I've been able to run all over this continent, from Mosport to Sebring, all five configurations of VIR all the way to Laguna.  Over 30 different tracks in all so far.  At least one new track every year since I started.  

Easy List:

1) Barber

Home track (Less than 10 mins from the house)

Skill over HP, gotta be brave or crazy to stay in the stupid pedal when your brain says no

and...well

tenor.gif?itemid=7735432

2) VIR - Full Course 24

VIR is prob my motorsports mecca....so pretty

24 hour races are something every racer should do at least once

Old school track with a bit of everything mixed in

3) Road Atlanta

Fast, fast, and more fast.  

Takes guts 

Turn 5...my favorite...or is it 6....maybe 10a/10b...

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm feeling more and more sheepish about leaving Barber off.  I love love LOVE that track and I'm fast there (which makes it easy to love).  One of my favorite stints ever, maybe my favorite, driving BIO from last to first two years ago in 1st stint.  sigh.  Missed it last year because of my ruptured appendix, but I'll see you this year!

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Don't forget that Gingerman is one of a few tracks where your trailer can be 25 feet from your pit area. Besides being a blast to drive, and being easy on equipment and safe,  It has a great feel to the entire property. you can spectate a good portion of the track from the pits, which is a big deal IMO.  The downtown has great bars and restaurants. Lots of sightseeing and things to do for family or significant others that don't want to be at the track all day. 

There is also a trick spectator area if you drive to the back side of the track. It is the best spectator area of just about any track IMO

Gingerman is #1 big time for me. It has so much going for it. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 3

1) Sebring- I am originally from there, so it is a hometown track for me. I remember as a kid sitting on top of a UHaul at the original hairpin at RV spots 1-4 for 3 days straight. 

2) Road Atlanta- It’s just fast.

3) Barber- wish we were going back this year, but we were snake bit there last year so taking a year off. We are going to both Sebring races so all good. 

Daytona -- it's just magical.

Mid Ohio -- I want to believe we will be back there

Lime Rock -- Short laps, historic track

honorable mention - the Glen, it's my home track, I've just spent so much time there it's like a wife.

Edited by theblue

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Don't forget that Gingerman is one of a few tracks where your trailer can be 25 feet from your pit area. Besides being a blast to drive, and being easy on equipment and safe,  It has a great feel to the entire property. you can spectate a good portion of the track from the pits, which is a big deal IMO.  The downtown has great bars and restaurants. Lots of sightseeing and things to do for family or significant others that don't want to be at the track all day. 

There is also a trick spectator area if you drive to the back side of the track. It is the best spectator area of just about any track IMO

Gingerman is #1 big time for me. It has so much going for it. 

That spot on top of the hill is awesome!  Two years ago my wife and sister in-law were up there acting as spotters during my stint at the end of the race on Sunday where I was working to catch the Tire Rack car for 5th, wouldn't you know it I made the pass going into seven and they have a pretty cool video of it happening.  Love that track, if only we can get it without rain both days!

• Like 2

By saying "tracks we run" I assume this includes only what is on 2019 schedule

Charlotte.  Where else can you go flat out at over 120 through a 180 degree corner.  And the road course is decent.  First class facility

Gingerman.  Do love the technical challenges this track presents, relatively lower speeds, tons of runoff in most places

Nelson Ledges.  Mixed emotions with this place.  It is where we started.  It is primitive, excepting for the relatively new pavement.  It is easy on brakes but speeds to me are harrowing - particularly with those ancient tire barriers. 

What these all have in common to me:

- Night racing

- Podium finishes

• Administrators

VIR is my home track. 

1. Sebring. 
 My dream is to win that race. any race there. I love the track and the bullshit the track throws at you to try and not finish. It is a challenge that I have almost won. One day. I will. Number one on my list of tracks I love.

2. Road Atlanta.
 Yes. I love this track. It flows. It is fast. It scares the living frack out of you when done fast and right.  I love this track.

3. Nelson Ledges.

The track that I just had to race at because of the stories I had heard about from the Longest Day racing stories. And the track delivered. fast and dark. the perfect 24-hour track. small. scary. and if you get it wrong, it will hurt you. Only the strong survive this hazard-filled track. Hell, surviving the paddock is a story itself. And I would return again in a heartbeat to beat this track. I love this facility.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chris Shay said:

1.  Road America because of the high speed corners

Nothing else is that notable for me. Grattan would make the list if they added a tunnel. 

Just curious, besides #1 and the carousel which corners do you consider high speed at RA?

Just now, skierman64 said:

Just curious, besides #1 and the carousel which corners do you consider high speed at RA?

For me high speed corners include 1, 8 and the last corner.  

Road America is not in my top ten but I still really like it.