How to prevent lexan from being scratched?

mindspin311

• Technical Advisory Committee

I found the scratch resistant stuff the easiest way. If you are scratched up currently, I would use this 3 stage scratch remover designed for polycarbonate windshields. 

https://90racing.com/products/allstar-novus-plastic-polish-3-78203?_pos=2&_sid=1fcdba281&_ss=r

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, red0 said:

I found the scratch resistant stuff the easiest way. If you are scratched up currently, I would use this 3 stage scratch remover designed for polycarbonate windshields. 

https://90racing.com/products/allstar-novus-plastic-polish-3-78203?_pos=2&_sid=1fcdba281&_ss=r

Novus works great for the soft windows on a Jeep as well just in case anyone is curious.  Haven't tried it on Lexan personally but I might have to pick some up to give it a shot on my back window.

4 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

I looked at Lamin-X, but the largest piece they advertise for sale is 24x40in

I tried using tint film on some of my lexan to keep sun out.  Turns out Lexan outgasses, and causes little bubbles to appear, even if you apply it perfectly.  So make sure you get "breathable" film if you go that route.

• Like 1

We clean ours with the meguiars quik detailer. Same stuff you claybar with. 

It’ll still lose clarity though, but at least you aren’t scratching it up while cleaning. I’ve considered going over ours up with some plastic polish. Anyone tried that?

17 hours ago, miatainium said:

I tried the covering a piece of polycarbonate with 3M clear paint protection film, for a Miata quarter window. The result was not good.  The PPF isn't optically clear and the view through it is wavy and blurry. 

IMG_20190710_204740.jpg

Ahh I see. Well, this would be for a rear and side windows, so not perfect might be OK given the usage.

7 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

Ahh I see. Well, this would be for a rear and side windows, so not perfect might be OK given the usage.

My intention was to do the same on my Lexan rear window and after this little test I decided against it.  Really inadvisable, visibility is compromised and in a race situation you don't want to be second guessing what you're seeing. 

I second the don't touch it recommendation.  Clean with cloth and lexan cleaner, no paper towels.  Cover with a clean moving blanket. With the stock cars we just bought the cheapest lexan and always cut two and buy the big box of pop rivets.  Also 3/16 drill bits in bulk. Check dirt track supply websites, performance bodies, day motorsport.  

I remembered the post about being able to use glass as long as it had a safety film applied. Of course there's the big money 3M stuff, but I found this on Amazon and I'm curious

https://www.amazon.com/S4MC-Window-Security-Safety-Clear/dp/B00FRLI2PC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=glass+safety+film&qid=1565006894&s=gateway&sr=8-3