1986 C4 Corvette Build let the $$ flushing begin!

Ok, it's official!  We finally sealed the deal on this 1986 C4 Corvette from a son of a friend lol Will went and picked the car up last night with the help of a coworker and his trailer.  Was only about an hour away and a few sprinkles to deal with.  On the plus side we got a spare trans and a few other goodies in the deal which is great as a trans is one item I'd like to have a fully prepped back up handy at all times.  That or we could build one close ratio and one wide ratio in case that was helpful depending on track layout.  So as it stands, the car:

1986 C4 with 4+3 manual

Z51 options

C6 ( I think ) wheels on it for now

Heads and lower intake claimed to have been ported already, we will see.  Actually need to determine if the engine is still technically stock aside from porting.

Here are couple of pics Will took as they were loading it up.  It was dark by the time they got it back here so will add some better pics as we go.

I guess our first steps will be to assess the car as is and agree on a team path or plan for the car.  Lota work ahead now for sure!

70467026_2428328873870202_8320804983385620480_n.jpg

70696103_2495374323839567_5188071608803131392_n.jpg

70835390_2388484934747273_1613209013665660928_n.jpg

70865877_1584365178366964_6851269738237001728_n.jpg

70894225_407721499929726_6236662649778601984_n.jpg

71094587_2961117747236838_2095559005219848192_n.jpg

71493792_703590013451829_4998724221757554688_n.jpg

72309326_403500056885695_427694724531355648_n.jpg

• Like 9

Lota junk under the hood no wonder they are so heavy. We are all iching to get going on it. Engine will be stock, not playing games there. Even though the car is at 450 pts starting the swap calculator won’t let us dump anything in there. Even a same hp 454 swap point ad is a ton of points. We’ll build this car and learn and it goes how it goes. If we all fall for the racing maybe we will build C3 later who knows but this was a good starting point, at least we think so. 

I also wish to thank all of the people that have been very open and helpful in talking to us through this beginning phase. Even having not been to a race yet I can tell and see the great people populating this forum and series!

• Like 2

Huge congrats! Feels really good to bring a new racecar home, even if it's going to take forever to get it to a race [like me]. As everyone says, volunteer, then rent a seat if you can. I did both. You'll learn a ton, and then REALLY be excited to work on your car. 

• Like 2

I wish you well on a mammoth undertaking. Have fun as a group as much as you can. The camaraderie with your teammates and other racers is the real joy in racing. The “BUILD” can try everyone’s patience and wallets. It will be worth every penny and busted knuckle in the end. The racing will certainly be the icing on the cake. Keep us as up to date as you can. Look forward to seeing you at the track. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

Even though the car is at 450 pts starting the swap calculator won’t let us dump anything in there.

The swap calculator is using 3239 lbs as the curb weight but the '95 ZR-1 coupe (heaviest model of the C4 generation) is listed at 3512 lbs.

You might want to get that updated so that it conforms with the E30 precedent.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, karman1970 said:

If it doesn't already have them, they switched over to aluminum heads at the end of the model year.  Easy 5hp gain and probably shaves 100+lbs off it.  If a true Z51, then it should already have an oil cooler.

Yes on the Oil cooler and yes on the Al heads I believe, we triple check in a week or so a Will is out of town and we don't have a permanent home for it just yet.  I mean, how common is it, we bought a car to build a race car without a trailer or a shop....  That said mostly the reason it has no home just yet is because I have three project cars indoors and Will has four I think also in doors plus he lives in an apartment lol.  Typical car nutz I suppose....

• 2 weeks later...

Subbing. Im in there with the early c4 builds. Been following mostmint, zrnone, and mlc (congrats on your july d class win mlc!). 

do u guys know if removing and replacing the air pump with the delete kit will count for added points?  My interpretation is that we can remove anything that is unnecessary, but if we have to add something back to compensate that would be counted as points. Is that correct according to you guys?

VT. 

I would think you are correct.  However, it should just be material points or repurposed material.

Also, if that combination existedbwith that engine in that generation of corvette, you can probably just do it for no points.

19 hours ago, VikingTrad3r said:

Subbing. Im in there with the early c4 builds. Been following mostmint, zrnone, and mlc (congrats on your july d class win mlc!). 

do u guys know if removing and replacing the air pump with the delete kit will count for added points?  My interpretation is that we can remove anything that is unnecessary, but if we have to add something back to compensate that would be counted as points. Is that correct according to you guys?

VT. 

Been a while since I worked on another car with the stock TPI setup but I seem to remember there being a few belt configurations for deleting the air pump and ac.  Could be that it involved moving the existing idler/tensioner, can't remember.  The thirdgen.org fbody folks and c4 forums should have some good examples.

Edited by 85'IrocZ

My plan is to gut the air pump, and gut the AC compressor. That way I’m not adding anything, just removing. I keep the stock configuration just with somethings missing. Which minor standing is, is allowed. I’m not worried about the extra 4 pounds, as I could stand to lose that quite easily from my gut.

Edited by VikingTrad3r

13 hours ago, VikingTrad3r said:

My plan is to gut the air pump, and gut the AC compressor. That way I’m not adding anything, just removing. I keep the stock configuration just with somethings missing. Which minor standing is, is allowed. I’m not worried about the extra 4 pounds, as I could stand to lose that quite easily from my gut.

why gut them? just remove all that junk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1