Reliability - Light weight battery vs standard battery

turbogrill

The tiny batteries people have been putting in cars are a lithium ion style battery. They have built in protection circuits to shut themselves off before voltage gets too low and destroys the battery. When you charge them I think you're supposed to use a charger without a desulfation process, but maybe i'm wrong.

The lightweight battwries are almost as reliable as regular old lead acid batteries.

To be clear, you want a lifepo4 battery.  Lithium iron phosphate, I believe.  They can handle the charging and discharging that happens in a vehicle.

Other types of Lithium ion batteries (like those in a laptop) are significantly less stable. 

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The lightweight battwries are almost as reliable as regular old lead acid batteries.

To be clear, you want a lifepo4 battery.  Lithium iron phosphate, I believe.  They can handle the charging and discharging that happens in a vehicle.

Other types of Lithium ion batteries (like those in a laptop) are significantly less stable. 

Yup Yup

Due to other issues with the car, the battery has always been an issue.  We have more than 8 in our shop now for one car.  We have Lifepo4, Li-ion, a bunch of small lead acids and a couple Braille's (Installed & a Backup).  The Braille is giving us the same performance as the lead acid, with much less weight.  The Li-ion was outlawed and the Lifepo4 was not powerful enough to deal with a couple hard starts back to back. 

So long as your car is 100%, the Lifepo4 should be fine, but a couple pounds is worth the insurance of a Braille.   A fully charged jump-pack is also critical.  

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

^^^Correct (bold)

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

The Li-ion was outlawed and the Lifepo4 was not powerful enough to deal with a couple hard starts back to back. 

So long as your car is 100%, the Lifepo4 should be fine, but a couple pounds is worth the insurance of a Braille.   A fully charged jump-pack is also critical.  

^^^Also Correct (bold)

edit: clarification - outlawed in ChampCar BCCR

Edited by mcoppola

We had a Braille last us 4 years. Something went wrong or shorted or etc and the car and battery went nuclear and killed itself. Otherwise was working perfectly. 

Fwiw, We just bought a new Napa brand with the same specs as Braille at a decent discount. It looks literally identical on the outside just with a different label/sticker. 

6 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

We had a Braille last us 4 years. Something went wrong or shorted or etc and the car and battery went nuclear and killed itself. Otherwise was working perfectly. 

Fwiw, We just bought a new Napa brand with the same specs as Braille at a decent discount. It looks literally identical on the outside just with a different label/sticker. 

Braille lithium or agm?

PS - Braille = Penn Battery, pretty sure Penn is the OEM. Buy a Penn @ a 50% discount over a Braille (the last time I bought one). Unless you really like the Braille sticker on the top VS Penn Lol. 

Penn/Braille is not as light as a LifePo but they are pretty cheap, require no special anything, and are over 1/2 the weight of a regular lead battery. I am on my 2nd one in the past 4 years, the first one still worked, but was getting slightly tired. Honestly I did not take care of the first one properly in between races, plus it was also dinged up during shipping when I received it (I got it for free from Amazon due to damage ;)). No complaints. 

Edited by pintodave

• 1 year later...
  • Technical Advisory Committee
16 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Another one bites the dust....

Our 3rd antigravity atx12hd battery took a dump last race weekend, went and bought a 100000 lbs yellow top.

Slow and steady.

Have you tried the Braille?

edit: I bought an 11# one last summer and put it in the car. It’s been good for a dyno session and a couple of track days. it’s been on a trickle charger 24/7 all winter as the braille tech advisor recommended. I’m curious to see how it’s going to work out for us.

Edited by mcoppola

11 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Have you tried the Braille?

edit: I bought an 11# one last summer and put it in the car. It’s been good for a dyno session and a couple of track days. it’s been on a trickle charger 24/7 all winter as the braille tech advisor recommended. I’m curious to see how it’s going to work out for us.

I think it's the heat, I would assume all batteries of that type would suffer from the same problem.

A better solution than a yellow top would probably been to just move it a little to a colder place, on the NC the battery gets BBQed by the radiator and the header.