It is definitely on the radar.  Does the starter mount to the engine?  Rear or front sump?  It would be better point wise if engine could be adapted to the bmw transmission.  Stock hp number near the 168hp of the m20 would help to.  

42 minutes ago, TimS said:

It is definitely on the radar.  Does the starter mount to the engine?  Rear or front sump?  It would be better point wise if engine could be adapted to the bmw transmission.  Stock hp number near the 168hp of the m20 would help to.  

Starter mounts to engine.  I actually don't remember if front or rear sump.  I think rear.  I'll go look in a few minutes...

Don't forget that the V6 is much shorter than the M20 so the weight distribution will improve.

8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Starter mounts to engine.  I actually don't remember if front or rear sump.  I think rear.  I'll go look in a few minutes...

Maybe get a rough measurement of the sump part of the pan?

It's technically rear sump.  The sump part is about 12 inches starting from the very back.  Overall pan length is about 17 inches.

I'll add pics tomorrow.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Technical Advisory Committee

Honda could be a good choice too...

https://kmiata.com/collections/transmission-upgrades/products/k-series-to-bmw-e36-e46-transmission-adapter-plate-and-flywheel

I think there is a j-series to g260 Adapter also our there

Kmiata kit is promising but not cheap and k series engine is not cheap and makes to much power. Found a couple other JDM engines with swap kits available but would have to swap transmission too. To many points for transmission and engine may not be allowed for swap since not available in US market. So now only option is another high dollar BMW engine or figure it out on my own. We’ll see how my “new” m20 runs at Sebring. 

• 6 months later...

hello, I have a m20b25 and 5 speed transmission it came out of a 1988 with 150k miles the car had an electrical fire I bought the car non running. I used the car to mock up our cage for the 318i i am building with my brother. It was a rust bucket so i pulled everything worth keeping off and scrapped it. I will take 350 for  both motor and trans you are welcome to pull head or oil pan to take a look inside. im in Clearwter, FL i am willing to bring to a Fl event  if interested 727-251-6465