Miata Axles One Piece or Two

Hugh Jass

I have a Torsen from a 94 that I have been using with the original two piece axles but after an adventurous outing at our last race, I now have a one piece axle from a 97 on the left and a two piece from a 94 on the right with a torn boot.  I am buying two new axles.  Is there an advantage to one versus the other?  They are roughly the same price on RA but there is more selection in the one piece.  

Edited by Hugh Jass

Ok so with the torsen we run the one piece which has splines  on each end. Most all the torsens came from later cars not sure of the year but we have always bought '98 axles.

They snap into the diff and have the nut on the hub end.

What was your issue in the last race? Most of the after market are not good and won't last as long as OEM.

7 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Ok so with the torsen we run the one piece which has splines  on each end. Most all the torsens came from later cars not sure of the year but we have always bought '98 axles.

Me too.  

8 minutes ago, 55mini said:

What was your issue in the last race? Most of the after market are not good and won't last as long as OEM.

My problem was the rookie backed it in the fence which broke the diff case and pushed the rear seal in then about 8 hours later the axle broke right at the nut. All we could source in the middle of the night at VIR was a '97 axle which turns out is the same length as a stub axle and a 94 axle.  I think I will just get some one piece units as its 8 less things to nut/bolt/fail and keep the stub axles on the trailer if we ever need to adapt to a situation.  

1.8 NAs built before March of 95 have two piece and after that they went to the single piece according to the link below.  

http://www.solomiata.com/Drivetrain.html  skip to Half Shaft Section

I know the differential came from a 94 (NA8 with 334k miles) because I parted out the car myself.  If it matters, our racecar is a 92 from the factory that we campaign as a 97 because of the swap rules. 

• Like 1