Nb1 vs nb2

espog

Moot pros and cons for our purposes-

The nb1 is considered a little lighter and more "miata" in street trim.  

The nb2 has a little bit more bracing underneath that don't matter as much when caged.

The nb2 sport brakes have more mass and pad surface, but replacements are less common and pads more expensive.  Both ducted well with proper bias, I think regular nb1 (and nb2 non-sport) brakes are fine.

Things that might matter to you for our purposes-

Nb1 has the better head if you ever want to go forced induction.  Not likely here in champ.

Nb1 engines are getting light on the ground, especially good heads.  Prices are higher as you'd expect.  Only available two years, 99-00, and the "thrust bearing issue" took a few out early.  People tend to hoard nb1 heads.  

Nb1's have troublesome ignition coils.  I haven't experienced a failure, but the failure reports are high and I keep extras.

Nb2 has the higher CR and VVT, better if you'll stay n/a.  Engines are also easier to find and cheaper.

Nb2 has much better headlights.

At the end of the day, VPI's being equal, I'd go with an nb2. 

My race car is an nb1 with larger sport brakes, because I was already knee deep with my street turbo nb1 and have lots of spare parts.  

Edited by ETR
Oops, wasn't done
  • Like 2

ETR's comments are right on.

- NB2 chassis bracing is removable, it just bolts on.

- you can run an NB1 intake on an NB2 head  (not sure how points work out, but physically you can do it)

- you can pin the VVT if you needed to run it on an car w/o the electrical harness or oil piping that actuates it.  (not sure how points work out, but physically you can do it)

I've got an NB2 and an NA8.  Brakes on the NA8 are just fine, the sport package on the NB2 really is not an advantage in my opinion.  You don't need the extra brake power it offers and it means that the pads are harder to come by and if you need spares, it is less likely you'll find it at the track.

If you had a pile of NA parts I'd say go with NB1, there is more sharing than with the NB2 simply because as the cars evolve and the bigger the difference in model years, the more differences in little things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

ETR's comments are right on.

- NB2 chassis bracing is removable, it just bolts on.

- you can run an NB1 intake on an NB2 head  (not sure how points work out, but physically you can do it)

- you can pin the VVT if you needed to run it on an car w/o the electrical harness or oil piping that actuates it.  (not sure how points work out, but physically you can do it)

I've got an NB2 and an NA8.  Brakes on the NA8 are just fine, the sport package on the NB2 really is not an advantage in my opinion.  You don't need the extra brake power it offers and it means that the pads are harder to come by and if you need spares, it is less likely you'll find it at the track.

If you had a pile of NA parts I'd say go with NB1, there is more sharing than with the NB2 simply because as the cars evolve and the bigger the difference in model years, the more differences in little things.

I have a BUNCH of na8 stuff. I thought almost everything minus the motor and sport brakes would transfer over though. One question i do have is will 15in rims fit over the sports brakes.

55 minutes ago, espog said:

I have a BUNCH of na8 stuff. I thought almost everything minus the motor and sport brakes would transfer over though. One question i do have is will 15in rims fit over the sports brakes.

The sport brakes fit fine long as you also have the mounting brackets of course.  15 inch wheels generally fit over sport brakes without issue, but there could be some outliers.  No issues with my 15x8 949 6ul’s and 15x9 advanti storm s1’s over sport brakes.  Browse Goodwin racing’s website, there’s a LOT of fitment information in there that’s really useful too. 

• Like 1

Many 15x7's will fit over the S brakes.  I have a few different ones, never gave it any thought, there appears to be plenty of room.  But I only have 15x7's.

The type of things i've seen that don't really interchange are fairly small - fuel lines have a different connection type.  Fuel tanks are different, almost none of the electronics match, starters are different (but I don't know when they changed).

If you have an account with Mazda you can get into the parts catalog and look up part numbers from one year to another to see if they cross over, or when the part changed.

Edited by MMiskoe
  • Like 1