2020 National Championship qualifying

We were planning on qualifying for the 2020 National Championship race at Road America.

Daytona has been canceled (and may or may not be rescheduled) and there is a strong reason to believe that the race at COTA is "uncertain" (https://sportscar365.com/industry/cota-confirms-staff-layoffs-uncertain-future/) and there may be additional cancellations. Our 7-race schedule may be cut down to 4. I don't think we would be the only team in this situation, especially if races into May or further are canceled. 

Is the series willing to grant a waiver for teams that may not be able to meet the new 5 race requirement in the 2020 season? 

1.5.1. In order to qualify for the National Championship, a ChampCar team must:

a. Finish in the top 75 in points for the previous season.

b. Teams must compete in at least five (5) races in the previous season.

c. A 24-hour endurance race will count as two (2) races.

2 hours ago, Snorman said:

We were planning on qualifying for the 2020 National Championship race at Road America.

Daytona has been canceled (and may or may not be rescheduled) and there is a strong reason to believe that the race at COTA is "uncertain" (https://sportscar365.com/industry/cota-confirms-staff-layoffs-uncertain-future/) and there may be additional cancellations. Our 7-race schedule may be cut down to 4. I don't think we would be the only team in this situation, especially if races into May or further are canceled. 

Is the series willing to grant a waiver for teams that may not be able to meet the new 5 race requirement in the 2020 season? 

I agree, some type of waiver will be needed given the circumstances if we aren't racing by May.  If we aren't racing by late summer, we have bigger problems than some cancelled races and qualifying for a championship next year.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 2

just to be clear,  5 races is 3 weekends.   

And at this point it seems to be about 642,964 on my priority list of things to worry about.................

Take care everyone,  be responsible and healthy...we need everyone to get through this or we won't have anyone to argue about rules with.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

just to be clear,  5 races is 3 weekends.   

And at this point it seems to be about 642,964 on my priority list of things to worry about.................

Take care everyone,  be responsible and healthy...we need everyone to get through this or we won't have anyone to argue about rules with.  

While you are on point about the priority of this, not all of us enjoy or focus on 2 race weekends.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Snake said:

Pretty sure there was actually. 

Huh.  I don't recall seeing that one. 

I remember there was a discussion about it when the idea was brought up initially.

I don't get the "why" part of this change.

It was already difficult enough to be competitive for the championship.  This just makes it harder and more expensive.

5 hours ago, red0 said:

I preferred the National Chumpionship when it was a 25 hour 25 minute and 25 second race run on an oval in Iowa

I didn't know Chump ever did dirt track events?  @JDChristianson, @55mini  Or was it snow?

Edited by Burningham

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Pretty sure there was actually. 

You are correct. There was a petition, that asked for a minimum of 3 races (2 weekend).  The BOD suggest it should be high yet and set it to 5. 

We had a thread on it. Being 12 hrs North of Denver I was strongly against as my 3 closest races are 16, 18, & 23 hour tows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, veris said:

You are correct. There was a petition, that asked for a minimum of 3 races (2 weekend).  The BOD suggest it should be high yet and set it to 5. 

Thankfully, racing dirt circles in the 90s cured 3/4 of our team of ever caring again about points or championships.

Whenever points are mentioned, attention is directly transferred to the nearest random shiny thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, veris said:

We had a thread on it. Being 12 hrs North of Denver I was strongly against as my 3 closest races are 16, 18, & 23 hour tows.

You live in the Yukon?  LOL  Why would you live there?

In all seriousness, if a large number of races were canceled, I'm sure we could lower the number of races to qualify. The goal was to eliminate the one weekend warriors from other racing series being able to run in our championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jer said:

In all seriousness, if a large number of races were canceled, I'm sure we could lower the number of races to qualify. The goal was to eliminate the one weekend warriors from other racing series being able to run in our championship.

Thanks Jer. That's sort of what we wanted to know. We are looking forward to getting back to racing, and hope everybody is doing well out there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jer said:

A tow from White Horse [Yukon] to Utah is 38 hours. 40+ hours if you are driving. ;)

I agree with the sentiment which is why I support the petition as written. 3 races would have done that... 

I'm still pissed off by the rule change, how it was done, and its affect. That said I think we are better off discussing an amendment in a few months when we know what the race season and our personal finances look like. 

Edited by veris

• 4 months later...