Mounting fire extinguisher... weld the mounts?

wvumtnbkr

Can I just weld the fire extinguisher mounts to the floor?

Where I want to put the fire extinguisher, I have no access to the underside.  There are a couple of ribs that run under the car that are hollow boxes.  I don't want to mess with the structure there.

Pic of where I want it.  Passenger side floorboard.

158595953352716597956.thumb.jpg.5b76ad5ac635e288791213f230928f35.jpg

48 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Can I just weld the fire extinguisher mounts to the floor?

Where I want to put the fire extinguisher, I have no access to the underside.  There are a couple of ribs that run under the car that are hollow boxes.  I don't want to mess with the structure there.

Pic of where I want it.  Passenger side floorboard.

158595953352716597956.thumb.jpg.5b76ad5ac635e288791213f230928f35.jpg

Drill a hole large enough to hammer a flange nut into, then weld around the flange.

5 hours ago, Burningham said:

Sounds like an excellent application for a blind rivet nut. Of course you would need a friend with the tool unless you just gotta have one. 

I have one of those.  I used it alot on my old build.  Unfortunately, I got tired of dealing with the rivets pulling out and free spinning.  I decided to weld nuts to large washers and use those.

I drilled a hole big enough for the welded nut to go through the floorboard and then fully welded the washer to the floor.  

That thing isn't going anywhere.

• Like 3

When building our car, i welded almost 100 8mm flange nuts to hold everything but the seat in place.

You can pretty much disassemble our car with a 13mm socket on an electric impact gun.  It also makes finding a spare bolt pretty easy.

• Like 1