NRG Wheel Quick Release

Gkuhn41

In the slow process of putting together another car and need to purchase a quick release.

NRG makes a bolt on option for us, only one I’ve found. Car #1 has a generic weld on quick release that works fine but i dont like the idea of cutting off and welding on if a bolt on option is available and is good. 

Anyone used the 3.0 NRG and have good or bad reports from them. They kinda seem like an enthusiast product, but if someone has real world experience with how they hold up id like to know.

Or what you guys have used would be good to see too.

Thanks

I love the NRG quick releases.  The newer versions are really neat because you can NOT put the steering wheel on crooked.  When you put the wheel on, if it is not in the right place, you spin it and it "locks" in.  Very quick and easy.

They also have huge paddles to make it easy to remove with gloved hands.

I have driven 2 cars with the NRG.  I really liked the setup so much I bought it for my new build.

I have had previous experience with Allstar and G force.  Can NOT recommend either.  Just junk that wears out and makes the steering sloppy.

Ask @Huggy about his NRG (at least I think it was an NRG).  We had an issue with one of his at Charlotte last year and cost us about 10 min in the pits trying to get it to lock on the hub.  I am not sure what he did to address the issue or if he went with something different after the race.  Maybe it was just a freak failure, he can give more background.

When I bought mine after having that issue, I went with this:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/MPI-MPI-QR6-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Hub-6-Bolt,385493.html

It is simpler than the rotate and lock on types but has to be lined up to the correct spline when putting it back on, but has one less failure point.  We paint marked it, so it's pretty simple but it does have the drawback of the potential to screw it up when you put it back on if not paying attention.

Edited by Burningham

• Technical Advisory Committee

Mine are https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-QR-Steering-Wheel-Hub_p_118.html

They are chinese made stuff, probably a knockoff of a NRG design.  I liked the ability to one-hand release with the paddles.  I liked the ability to put it on in any orientation and it will only lock in the right spot.

The charlotte deal was kinda freak, but as best as I can tell it had to do with the horn mechanism. I just stripped that out and its been fine since.  The ring (shown by arrow) got wedged in kinda sideways by the horn mechanism which is further in the hub.

image.png.5340b9b616f71c4db73164de842f2661.png

I don't like the splined weld on ones because you can get it off, and they always have a bit of play.  Rodgers is new and I really didn't feel any play when driving, but I could feel it when parked.  I think they get worse over time, as some I have used felt pretty loose.

When I get all the other $$ stuff done to my cars that I have on my list, Ill be upgrading to one of these:

Rothsport/MiataCage

Rothsport Quick Release Steering Hub - Red

Krontec

Krontec_WM.jpg

OMP

Quick release hub

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scottyk said:

The g force unit uses the same hex.  It got sooo sloppy.  I'm glad yours is not!

I am going to second @Huggy

I have a NRG quick release in my Miata...(I don't remember the model, but looks like Huggy's photo)  I no longer allow my drivers to pull the wheel when getting in an out of the car during pit stops.  Home in the drive way sure... but when time is of the essence it stays on the car; putting it back on is a forceful tricky and sometimes time consuming thing.  (It can still be easily removed if we crash)  

I would not recommend this product.

I have had this on the miata for about 10 years.  Took about 3 years to develop the issue.  Maybe your useful life is less than what I want and this would work fine for you.  I also have a funny story about the Aluminum wheel that came with it:  it failed while my oldest brother was driving.  Steel MOMO might weigh a little more but it's been on the car for 8 years. 

1 hour ago, Ben 595 said:

I am going to second @Huggy

I have a NRG quick release in my Miata...(I don't remember the model, but looks like Huggy's photo)  I no longer allow my drivers to pull the wheel when getting in an out of the car during pit stops.  Home in the drive way sure... but when time is of the essence it stays on the car; putting it back on is a forceful tricky and sometimes time consuming thing.  (It can still be easily removed if we crash)  

I would not recommend this product.

I have had this on the miata for about 10 years.  Took about 3 years to develop the issue.  Maybe your useful life is less than what I want and this would work fine for you.  I also have a funny story about the Aluminum wheel that came with it:  it failed while my oldest brother was driving.  Steel MOMO might weigh a little more but it's been on the car for 8 years. 

I am in the same boat, I strongly encourage the wheel not to be pulled. With a tilt and telescoping wheel, there's really no reason to anyway. #familysedanperks

I’ve been happy with a NRG 2.0? (Not sure model) it takes 2 hands/nubs to release, 14 races and 5 yrs. Rarely someone can get it caught in some “middle” position. Can’t think of a more than 2-5 sec delay. Usually only minor issue occurs when the steering wheel is 90-180 degrees from straight and the driver doesn’t realize this with paint witness marks.

Put us in the "Had a problem with our NRG" camp.  At Watkins last year during the practice session it wouldn't lock.  Im not sure exactly what happened to cause the issue.  I pulled it all apart and slapped it back together and it worked the rest of the weekend.  It could have been something like the clip issue above.  It had been on the car since 2014 so maybe it reached the end of life?

I haven't replaced it (We haven't raced since that event) but this thread reminds me I wanted to.

19 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

I’ve been happy with a NRG 2.0? (Not sure model) it takes 2 hands/nubs to release, 14 races and 5 yrs. Rarely someone can get it caught in some “middle” position. Can’t think of a more than 2-5 sec delay. Usually only minor issue occurs when the steering wheel is 90-180 degrees from straight and the driver doesn’t realize this with paint witness marks.

Almost exactly my experience. The NRG 2.0 is small and easy to work with. Definitely can't release it by accident. Quality piece of equipment. Would buy another.