Spec Miata

baa325

My team lost our NA Miata to a fire at the warehouse where our car and equipment were stored (see photo). Everything is gone. We are regrouping.   A replacement car will be purchased soon.  Our view is the quickest way to have a car ready to race is to buy a spec Miata.  We are look at a 2003 NB Miata with the VVT engine.  It was built by a reputable shop in Florida (Autotechnik) and has been raced for 6 years by two different owners.  Engine rebuilt last winter. Is there a downside to a car like this.  Will ChampCar penalitize the car because it is a custom built spec Miata.  It is not cheap.   

miata.jpg

• Sad 3

It doesn't matter how much it costs.  Everything is according to VPI and points.   Since its to SM spec its likely more expensive than something prepped for a less popular class.  The cages could be built a little too heavy in spots, but that is the only "downside" if you could call it that.  

I would buy something that is already chumpcar tested. Otherwise you might have to modify things, it's the small things that adds up:

- Coolbox

- Harness that works for differnet drivers

- Fuel (Cell/Surge/monitor etc)

- Radio

- Roll cage modifications

Etc...

@baa325

some how this car has ended up in my basement...  little bit of work bringing it up to 2020 and you'd have a solid car. 

It's not exactly what you want but the price is nice.  (especially if you low ball the owner)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

It doesn't matter how much it costs.  Everything is according to VPI and points.   Since its to SM spec its likely more expensive than something prepped for a less popular class.  The cages could be built a little too heavy in spots, but that is the only "downside" if you could call it that.  

I'm no expert on SM, but I believe they do not require dash bars, and the base plate requirements for the cage is no less than the tube wall thickness (probably .095").  Cage base plates in champcar have to be 1/8" thick (.125"). I wonder how this works though, maybe CC would allow a car from SM with a logbook in....a question for tech. 

Other than that, most of the SM cages I've seen have quite a bit more elements than required by champcar. 

Really sorry to hear about the fire...

My experience with both series is as noted.  Your mileage may vary.

SM doesn't require a dash bar however many cars have them.  Champcar also has rules about the center-to-center distance the door bars can be when they connect to the A or B pillar bars.  SM's with dashboards don't always meet this requirement.  Look closely at what you're getting into.

SM requires the E-switch be reachable from the outside of the car so it is rare you will find one mounted in the center of the car (technically not legal for SCCA, but can be a grey area).

An SM car will not be built with lightness in mind as their minimum weights are up there enough to keep the bigger drivers from getting un-justly penalized.

Typically Champcar is fussier about bulkhead sealing then SCCA.

Champcar in the past has given zero cares what other series the car might be legal for, if it doesn't meet all their standards, it doesn't go on their track.  I have often thought this odd, SCCA carries supplemental insurance on their drivers and crew, Champcar does not yet SCCA has some less stringent safety requirements.  You would think this is the other way around.

Read about that fire.  Ouch.  You were not alone in losing a lot there, yours at least still resembled the car it once was.  Pay attention to burning crap when working on a car there kids.

Edited by MMiskoe

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Just spitballing here but SCCA may not run miata at the same time as full size cars?

The most competitive SM's run single marque sprint races.  However as field size has dwindled, the 90 minute SCCA "enduros" common in the SE find SM's running with A-Sedan cars (F-body GM or Fox body Ford), though not as much size variation as we see in Champ (think Enterprise vs partsbadger).  The now defunct SCCA 13-hour at VIR even saw D-sports (Radical) on the track the same time as a Cadillac CTS-V.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, Grufton said:

The most competitive SM's run single marque sprint races.  However as field size has dwindled, the 90 minute SCCA "enduros" common in the SE find SM's running with A-Sedan cars (F-body GM or Fox body Ford), though not as much size variation as we see in Champ (think Enterprise vs partsbadger).  The now defunct SCCA 13-hour at VIR even saw D-sports (Radical) on the track the same time as a Cadillac CTS-V.

I've flagged the 13 hour up until the last year the the fastest car we had was a FIA- GT3 spec 911 (997) GT3-R. (Which in SCCA classing is GT-1) So at the time that was a 30 second difference between the cars.

Edited by gsmith2424