Build Question Regarding Fire Safety

Just finishing a winter rebuild on my 91 Sentra SER and looking to clean up the interior. I'd like to close off the opening or pass through at the rear seat to trunk area with some flat steel sheet. I have retained the stock fuel tank which is located under the rear seat area so inside of the cockpit. My question or worry is am I compromising the driver's safety in the event of a fire by sealing off the trunk area? I also prefer to leave the backglass in place. I plan to add a fire nozzle pointed to the rear/side of the containment seat. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
37 minutes ago, ducpilot said:

Just finishing a winter rebuild on my 91 Sentra SER and looking to clean up the interior. I'd like to close off the opening or pass through at the rear seat to trunk area with some flat steel sheet. I have retained the stock fuel tank which is located under the rear seat area so inside of the cockpit. My question or worry is am I compromising the driver's safety in the event of a fire by sealing off the trunk area? I also prefer to leave the backglass in place. I plan to add a fire nozzle pointed to the rear/side of the containment seat. 

you are saying the fuel tank is inside the cockpit ???  or is it under the floor that is under the rear seat area ? 

Sentra has the fuel tank outside of the driver compartment (below the rear seat sheetmetal), with a "pass thru" port you can open up that allows access to remove fuel pump module, right? If that is the case I think sealing off the "port" so it is watertight would be pretty safe.