Jump to content

ChampCar iRacing Special Event: 7 Hours of Watkins Glen


Recommended Posts

Yesterday we received the sad news that the 2020 CCES round at Watkins Glen has been cancelled. Whilst we appreciate the sense of this decision, it is still disappointing to wait another few weeks for the re-start of the racing season, especially as we at HJ were planning on attending. Nevertheless, we are excited to bring the ChampCar community a virtual event in place of the scheduled round, and hope that all competitors will enjoy another exciting iRacing event at this great venue.


Please see all details below and feel free to reach out with any questions on the Discord.


Important Information


As we continue to review and refine our format for hosting these special events, please see the change summary below


  • Despite the warm praise and high regard in which it is held by tens of iRacers, we bid farewell to the Pontiac Solstice and welcome back the Mazda Miata as the third class. However, in deference to the ChampCar tradition of promoting the unusual, this will be the "Roadster" version of the NC. The Mustang and Jetta used at Charlotte will return for the other two classes.
  • We will be using the "Boot" config of WGI in alignment with that CCES would have been running this weekend
  • The incident limit before the first drive-through penalty has been brought back to 35x to account for the shorter overall race distance, but you will still need to be careful on the exit of the bus-stop to avoid the dreaded 1x
  • There are two fast repairs available (one fewer than Charlotte), but as this is a less mechanically punishing circuit than those concrete confines and so we hope the incident count will be lower
  • We will still have manually-thrown FCYs available to the stewarding team to use if they see fit
  • Please see the points thread for the current standings; please note that all classes available for the event are eligible for the same points, and that it may be of benefit to compete in a less popular class if you want to score a better finish


Team Registration


Please reply to this thread in the following format:


  • Team Name:
  • Car Number:
  • Class:
  • Drivers:


In addition, we are collecting information for use by our broadcasting crew on individual teams and drivers, so that we can be more informed when we talk about you on the stream! Please fill in the below form so that we can link your information to your team entry and make sure we know who you are!




Session Details


  • Date: 23-May-2020
  • Classes: Ford Mustang, Volkswagen Jetta, Mazda Miata NC Roadster
  • Track: Watkins Glen International - Boot
  • Practice Start: 9:00am (ET)
  • Qualifying Start: 9:45am (ET) - Solo Qualifying, 4 laps
  • Race Start: 10:00am (ET)
  • Race Finish: 5:00pm (ET)
  • Maximum stint time: 2 hours
  • In-Sim Race Date: Saturday, 23-May-2020
  • In-Sim Race Start Time: 9:00am
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-generated
  • Setup: Open
  • Fast Repairs: 2
  • Incident Limit Penalty Threshold: 35x/10x thereafter
  • Full Course Cautions: Manual Control Enabled
  • License Restriction: D/2.0


Useful Links

Discord Server

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to enter iRacing Team Events

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Team Name: On Second Thought Racing (OST #1)

Car Number: 341

Class: Jetta TDI

Drivers: Andrew Pallotta, Kyle Herbst, Peter Lauzon


Team Name: On Third Thought Racing (OST #2)

Car Number: 342

Class: Jetta TDI

Drivers: Todd Champman2, Austin Newman, Brian DeBruler, Will Robbins 

Edited by Hailwood
Updated driver lineups
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you to those who have signed up for the special event on Saturday. Currently we have a total of 15 teams entered, using only 2 of the 3 classes. It would appear that the gradual reopening of the country in conjunction with a holiday weekend means there is less appetite for an event. With this small number of entries, we don't think it will be a rewarding event for participants or reflect well on CC to broadcast this fully. As such, unless we see a large change in sign-up in the next 24 hours, we will look to cancel this event. If there is appetite in the next couple of weeks (if we see more CCES races cancelled or postponted) then we will look to reschedule or plan another event.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...