Why remove evap/carbon canister/purge for stock tank?

Hi,

Our 2006 Miata has a stock tank with all the typical EVAP and Carbon canister stuff.

Is there any point of removing it? Is the carbon canister heavy?

Besides removing fuel smells, it seems like it also to makes sure that the tank doesn't implodes/explodes. 

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

we ditched all of our emissions stuff can included. 88 Firebird. you still leave the vent tub in. Some vents are vacuum operated so make sure you do it right. 

What do you mean by 'do it right'.  I removed everything off our Integra and want to make sure I didn't miss anything - new build.  Tank has pump line, return line, and the canister line.  Canister line seems like it only allows flow into the tank......??  I just have it open at the moment - not terminated to anything.

Edited by Todd K
spelling

11 minutes ago, Todd K said:

What do you mean by 'do it right'.  I removed everything off our Integra and want to make sure I didn't miss anything - new build.  Tank has pump line, return line, and the canister line.  Canister line seems like it only allows flow into the tank......??  I just have it open at the moment - not terminated to anything.

Make sure that the tank will still equalize pressure after the emissions stuff has been removed / sealed off. A hot fuel tank that can't vent and builds pressure is a fire hazard.

58 minutes ago, Todd K said:

Canister line seems like it only allows flow into the tank......??  I just have it open at the moment - not terminated to anything.

I believe the strong recommendation from Tech is that you take this line at the tank and route it out the back of the car, thus removing any means for fuel or vapors to go up towards the engine bay.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Make sure that the tank will still equalize pressure after the emissions stuff has been removed / sealed off. A hot fuel tank that can't vent and builds pressure is a fire hazard.

And how is this done?

Is the canister pressurized? 

3 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

And how is this done?

Is the canister pressurized? 

Don’t plug the line, five or six loops a fuel line on our car . The canister is not pressurized but there may be a one-way valve or solenoid on there.

Edited by Team Infiniti

28 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Looks like you have a Canister(alone), a purge solenoid, filter(both located near battery) and a purge control valve (location not mentioned)

Looking at your system, I would say there is no benefit removing the canister.

ok thanks

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

So there is a valve between the tank and the canister that will open when the pressure is above some threshold? What about vacuum? If fuel is disappearing that means it needs to be replaced by air.

Most gas caps allow air to go in, not out via a check valve in the cap. 

The EPA doesn't mind air going in, they hate vapors going out, so the OEMs build valves in to control this pressure release (generally dumping it into the intake). They will allow some reasonable pressure build, as the OE tanks have a pretty large headspace of air to allow expansion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Todd K said:

Not sure for your application, it appears on these old GM's the "can" and vent are vacuum actuated. We removed the vacuum pod. Basically we have a line from the tank all the way to the front of the car. 

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Brand new have the cap less easy fill. 

Sort of new, yes most will have a check valve visible as a hole in the center of the cap. 

I consider my 2008 Miata a new car.

Some new cars doesn't have a fuel cap, they are quiet as well. Very confusing.

22 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

I believe the strong recommendation from Tech is that you take this line at the tank and route it out the back of the car, thus removing any means for fuel or vapors to go up towards the engine bay.

Thanks - just when I thought the list was getting smaller, but this is easy enough.

3 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

I consider my 2008 Miata a new car.

Some new cars doesn't have a fuel cap, they are quiet as well. Very confusing.

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/mazda-miata/2016-2017-nd-mx-5-miata/2016-2017-mazda-mx5-miata-gas-lid-w-cap-fuel-door-ceramic-metallic-oem-nd005/

2016 miata, you can see the spring for the check valve in the pics of the gas cap. 

Remember, it only allows air in, venting pressure is done elsewhere. 

Edited by Black Magic

2 hours ago, Todd K said:

Thanks - just when I thought the list was getting smaller, but this is easy enough.

Yeah it's pretty easy and not a strict requirement.  See photo.  You'll notice the white valve up top....we just unplugged the hose from that valve to the Canister and attached the blue hose which is routed out the back of the car.

IMG_6836.jpg

22 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

Yeah it's pretty easy and not a strict requirement.  See photo.  You'll notice the white valve up top....we just unplugged the hose from that valve to the Canister and attached the blue hose which is routed out the back of the car.

IMG_6836.jpg

On our car we're lucky because everything is external to the driver compartment.  So I just have to connect a line to the vent tube and route it around the front of the tank and out the rear behind the pass side.  Our exhaust exits on the driver side so wanting to avoid that area - although our tank fill is on the driver side as well.