Minors racing in ChampCar

My 14, soon to be 15 year old daughter wants to get into car racing. She’s raced dirt bikes, carts  and that sort of thing and has been begging me to race a car. I’ve looked at Mini Stocks at the local speedway, but I’d rather not have her around “that crowd”. What is ChampCar’s policy on minors competing? Obviously I wouldn’t turn her loose without a LOT of practice at places like the FIRM. I recently scored a Acura RSX Type S and that’s what I would build. 

Edited by MiniRacer26
Added content

5 minutes ago, MiniRacer26 said:

My 14, soon to be 15 year old daughter wants to get into car racing. She’s raced dirt bikes and that sort of thing and has been begging me to race a car. I’ve looked at Mini Stocks at the local speedway, but I’d rather not have her around “that crowd”. What is ChampCar’s policy on minors competing? 

There is a process for minors to road race with the SCCA.  I'm not sure what it is, but a friend of mine's son raced spec miata a couple years before he moved up to TCR.  He went to a Skip Barber school before he had his driving permit.  This was probably 4-5 years ago now.

• Administrators

We allow them, but they have to have an extensive resume in Karts or wheel to wheel time at that age.

We will usually have them test at a race that we are doing a track at.

Best to email info@champcar.org.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoachMK21 said:

There is a process for minors to road race with the SCCA.  I'm not sure what it is, but a friend of mine's son raced spec miata a couple years before he moved up to TCR.  He went to a Skip Barber school before he had his driving permit.  This was probably 4-5 years ago now.

I know SCCA and local tracks have different rules and guidelines. She’s is able to race “entry” level classes at the local speedway. I’m looking for ChampCar’s policy on this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

We allow them, but they have to have an extensive resume in Karts or wheel to wheel time at that age.

We will usually have them test at a race that we are doing a track at.

Best to email info@champcar.org.

Thanks Bill. She meets that requirement and will have plenty of time in the car prior to going to an event. Realistically, the goal is to start racing again in 2021. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8r-2vlvl8&feature=emb_logo

Mustang driver wasn't old enough to have a street license when this took place.  It was his second season in Champcar.  Both he and his younger brother started in Champcar at 14, but had at least 50 green flag starts in karts and a couple of SCCA sprint races before he got in the champcar.    The older one was probably over 100 green flags in karts, he started karts at age 7.

They eye-hand coordination and the physical stamina are usually better in the kids, but the decision making can be the hard part.  OTOH there are lots of so-called Adults that I think should reconsider their choice of hobbies. 

Both of my kids have had the chance to be in the car on the same day that their grandfather also drove with them.  We had a 66 year age difference between our drivers one of the days we did it.  It is pretty cool to finish in the top of your class, even better when your kids are your co-drivers.

• Like 6