Daytona - Intentional contact from Matt Connelly Motorsports

Hello all,

I wanted to start a thread about an incident that happened today. I had some contact with this team in the infield, then I'm hit by the same BMW something like 5 or 10 laps later. We're six and a half hours into Daytona, and two of that was spent removing our mangled splitter and replacing a bent control arm.  The miata fortunately managed to avoid hitting the wall or rolling and got back on track much quicker than we did.

I know exactly where I stand on this issue, and I've also posted it the Daytona race events thread, but I figured it could use its own thread for discussion.

Here are the videos... Sorry for the potato quality but I'm still at the track. I'll get real versions of this later, and as much lead-up as you feel necessary.

First section of video is contact with MCM in the infield heading towards the kink:

Second section of video is where I'm hit by the same BMW something like 5 or 8 laps later.

... Thoughts?

Edited by krispykritter
Updated with real video in stead of potato
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are not too many ec cars that are faster than regular champcar.   Like maybe 3 or 4 in the entire series.   Ec isn't the problem  

Here's a view from one car back.  Fortunately managed to stay out of it but sorry for your teams' day getting messed up.    

Wasn't calling out a team for retaliation.  I was calling out a team for intentially hitting another car.   A ball punch is a very paralyzing manuever.   Who am I kidding?  I don't

1 hour ago, bbaker480 said:

Yikes, did that Miata make it all the way up to the wall? Isn't this the same team that played bumper cars at Indy last year?

They didn't make it all the way up to the wall fortunately.

Both us and the miata team were able to get back on the track; I think they were EZ racing? We ran the rest of the race on an oe length control arm that we had as spare... We forgot to prep an extended one, dumb on our part. Made for some interesting handling but we kept it going the rest of the day.

Did our best to not let it spoil the day but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fuming.

7 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

There is absolutely no place for intentional contact.

I would probably have been arrested....

I genuinely don't think I've ever been more mad in my life.  Honestly, more so for the miata because they came inches from being on their roof.

Ill try to get the actual in-car footage up tomorrow afternoon. Still got lots of loading up to do in the morning and a short drive home.

I'm still amazed the same car tagged you twice within 15-20 minutes.  That's crazy.  Glad you guys ( and the Miata) are physically ok, and also glad you  were able to maintain your cool.  It would seem that by repeatedly allowing situations like this to go ignored, CC is somewhat condoning this behavior and by the same token, at some point if it keeps repeating, someone will likely get a bit passed upset and go visit that team and likely get themselves in trouble.  I will be curious to see in the following days were there any other teams that got also got tagged by this bumper car BMW...

• Like 1

I saw them at the track, soon as he told me 'do you know MCM'  my response was 'say no more'  

they should banned from the series either probationary or permanent.  that was pure retaliation and took out 2 cars in the process.

Wow.  I'm serious when I say I would have been arrested...

I had something similar happen at Charlotte due to a dumb decision by another racer and I was angry as he'll about it.  If it had been intentional, I may have lost my mind...

No room for this type of driving in our sport. We are for the most part amateurs and want to go home in one piece at the end of an event. Dangerous move anywhere, but on the highbanking at Daytona? Inexcusable ! 1 year + ban BS - lifetime is the best recourse my opinion.

• Technical Advisory Committee
18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Wow.  I'm serious when I say I would have been arrested...

I had something similar happen at Charlotte due to a dumb decision by another racer and I was angry as he'll about it.  If it had been intentional, I may have lost my mind...

You may want to edit this. Don’t call out a team for retaliation by saying there would be retaliation. Somebody has to be cooler and stop the escalation. 

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Burningham said:

You may want to edit this. Don’t call out a team for retaliation by saying there would be retaliation. Somebody has to be cooler and stop the escalation. 

I’m sure he was talking about off-track fisticuffs, which I think is different, somewhat more acceptable, and much safer than on track “retaliation”.

Edited by enginerd

There was no reason for the BMW to move down on the Contour like that. I'm curious if MCM was penalized. 

In any case, the series has a legitimate complaint lodged by drivers with video to support it. Once again, the series needs to consider punitive action against this very same team and at this point it needs to be a progressively more harsh reaction. It's clear that either a.) the team owner condones this bull cookies or, b.) can't control his team. 

If a renter did something like this we'd park them, keep their deposit and tell them never to call us again.

• Like 2
  • Technical Advisory Committee
13 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I’m sure he was talking about off-track fisticuffs, which I think is different, somewhat more acceptable, and much safer than on track “retaliation”.

Hey that’s every Saturday night at the dirt track.  Let’s go boys, we’uns is about to fight!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Burningham said:

13 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Wasn't calling out a team for retaliation.  I was calling out a team for intentially hitting another car.

A ball punch is a very paralyzing manuever.

Who am I kidding?  I don't fight.  Last fight I was in was 5th grade and I cried the entire time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Snorman said:

There was no reason for the BMW to move down on the Contour like that. I'm curious if MCM was penalized. 

In any case, the series has a legitimate complaint lodged by drivers with video to support it. Once again, the series needs to consider punitive action against this very same team and at this point it needs to be a progressively more harsh reaction. It's clear that either a.) the team owner condones this bull cookies or, b.) can't control his team. 

If a renter did something like this we'd park them, keep their deposit and tell them never to call us again.

#like.

You hit on something very important here.  

Is the team captain responsible for all the drivers in their car all the time?  Before you answer, I would like to point something out...

I don't think Matt himself has actually had any incidents (or at least major incidents).  Does he get doubly screwed because his renter made a mistake and now has some action taken against HIM?

Is it the same rental driver?  Or is it a string of idiots?

My opinion is that yes, the team captain is responsible.  It is the captain's job to make sure everybody in the car is vetted in some way.

• Like 3