2020 Daytona race results, photos, and more

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a buddy bring his nice camera out while he helped crew for us and he grabbed a bunch of shots of cars crossing the start/finish line.  I believe he's going to post up a link to the photos shortly.

#80 John Allen Special MIni Cooper S Daytona Race Recap AKA "The One That Got Away"   Post Road Atlanta we learned we had an engine problem. The car was a salvage title with no known histor

I followed the Crowd Control Mustang into the bus stop one time at the end and can honestly say my balls are not that big as deep as he drove in.  Congrats to that driver.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, XelderX said:

I'm perfectly content with how being a dissenting voice. It doesn't bother me and I think it's important. I've been around long enough to see other race series die and the reasons why. Champcar is headed in the same direction. 

I am on your side with the issues you personally had with your points. That's part of my gripe with the series as a whole. Being told one thing and ending up with something else is a problem we should all be fearful of and it seems to happen a lot around here. 

Please don't think we aren't an experienced team. This is just our first season back with a completely new drivetrain/aero and to be fair....we are playing catch-up while doing it with the bare minimums. We didn't even know the tech-desk existed until a few weeks ago. That's been an eye-opener. More things changed over those years away from the series than we thought. 

You must not know much about me. I am a very average dude working a very average job, doing all the prep and funding this racecar on my own. My tow vehicle is a 99 dodge ram! lol (SIGH)

Seriously, if I can do it then the cost creep *can't* be that bad. I will be the first person to speak up when I feel that is no longer the case.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A stock rotary should dominate b class at every race it shows up....

They are like b+....

Rotary engines are crazy reliable in this type of racing.  The trans and dif are crazy reliable if you feed them idemitsu oil and treat them carefully.

The only downside is the wiring.  Redo that and collect b class trophies...

B+ is an understatement. If that the Rocketeer car stayed together none of us in B would get close.

15 hours ago, enginerd said:

Has the 626 won anything that wasn’t specific to B-class?

yeah yeah, we know you don't give a crap about a class win.  Guess what, neither does the Cobra.  But when you have a rental team made up of drivers who have most likely never even driven the car, the fact they can come home with some hardware is pretty damn good in their eyes.  The car has finished as high as 5th at Sebring with a entire crew of drivers who had most had never even driven FWD on a racetrack.

Never understood why people 'poo-poo' class wins.  There is 95+ cars at a race that win nothing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

B+ is an understatement. If that the Rocketeer car stayed together none of us in B would get close.

the Rotarys are for sure fast, but we've seen most of them with reliability issues and fuel starved.  When Lowe racing had one of their RX7s at sebring the 626 was going back and forth for the lead as they could only go less than 90 mins on fuel and eventually they cooked the brakes off the thing.   The short races are more suited to the RX7 i think, the longer the race runs the better it is for our ole' 626

Daytona was the challenge we needed to build up time and confidence in the new build. Barber was a good debut and we shook out some surprising issues (brand new Bilsteins failing?? Really??), but this weekend was the weekend we needed to really see how the car does in the heat and under stress. From the driver perspective, a major upgrade over the Toyota. I didn't feel like I ran a marathon over hot coals after each 2 hour stint. Very pleased with our finish overall and in class. Now to bang our the dents and tighten things down for Indy. 

IMG_2437.JPG

• Like 7
1 hour ago, MoparBoyy said:

Never understood why people 'poo-poo' class wins.  There is 95+ cars at a race that win nothing.

1 minute ago, RocketHamRacing said:

Class placement was what sustained our egos for our first 4-ish years in the two-point-slow Celica.

Wish I could reduce our 170 hp 2.5L motor down to 165hp 2.4L!  We fit with B class car a heck of a lot better than C class! 2.41-4.0L i sa huge range!  lol  Then again, the 626 still spanks us, though that might have been a little different this year if we'd been able to run the whole time; well, less of a spanking at least!

Another good reason to go for a 3.0L swap!  We're finally working on getting a microsquirt EMS put into the contour and removing what's left of the OEM wiring.  Gotta find more speed!

• Like 3
Just now, krispykritter said:

Another good reason to go for a 3.0L swap!  We're finally working on getting a microsquirt EMS put into the contour and removing what's left of the OEM wiring.  Gotta find more speed!

Thought about engine swapping the Celica to a BEAMS or something. Built an E36 instead...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RocketHamRacing said:

Thought about engine swapping the Celica to a BEAMS or something. Built an E36 instead...

We should be able to get it running on microsquirt for around 800$, then some tuning time.  Hoping we can get maybe 10-20 hp out of it, and sets us up for the 3.0 if we ever decide to go that route.  We've got a fox body on backburner if we ever get around to building it.

Just now, krispykritter said:

We've got a fox body on backburner if we ever get around to building it.

NOW you're talking!  you'll need to get a 2500 though to carry all that extra fuel. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

the Rotarys are for sure fast, but we've seen most of them with reliability issues and fuel starved.  When Lowe racing had one of their RX7s at sebring the 626 was going back and forth for the lead as they could only go less than 90 mins on fuel and eventually they cooked the brakes off the thing.   The short races are more suited to the RX7 i think, the longer the race runs the better it is for our ole' 626

Rx7 should have either 16.5 gallons or 18.5 gallons if 2nd gen.  

I believe 1st gen is close to 16.5 if an 84 or 85.  

Should not be fuel limited really unless they are running an early car with a small tank...

9 minutes ago, ablesnead said:

our rotary has large tank , and is fast for the class , but we still only get 1.5 hours max , think we have a fair shot at an hour fourty five though..

Surge tank?  If not, you won't get like the last 4 or 5 gallons.

Did someone end up with an extra bicycle after the race at Daytona.  I had a bicycle for Ed with Infiniti and after the race was over Sunday, the bicycle was no where to be found.  If you have Ed's bicycle please let me or @Team Infiniti know.  He left it with me after Snow Atlanta and i have guarded that thing since February and I would hate to think someone "took" it by someway over than accidentally.  I was in garage stall 55, and I know the bicycle was there on Saturday.  I actually though Ed had claimed it on Saturday but apparently he did not.

8e2THED.jpg

Edited by Justin9
7 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

I actually though Ed had claimed it on Saturday

Nope, I'm not loosing sleep over it, was waiting to clean out the truck and ask the team to claim, or not to claim a set of unidentified racing shoes.

Lets start a lost and found thread.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, Justin9 said:

Did someone end up with an extra bicycle after the race at Daytona.  I had a bicycle for Ed with Infiniti and after the race was over Sunday, the bicycle was no where to be found.  If you have Ed's bicycle please let me or @Team Infiniti know.  He left it with me after Snow Atlanta and i have guarded that thing since February and I would hate to think someone "took" it by someway over than accidentally.  I was in garage stall 55, and I know the bicycle was there on Saturday.  I actually though Ed had claimed it on Saturday but apparently he did not.

8e2THED.jpg

That bike was leaning on the fence in front of the garages on Sunday when we picked our trailer up. It honestly looked like it had been there a while, so we didn’t think anything of it and just left it there. In front of garage 15 or so. 

59 minutes ago, Jeremylowe said:

That bike was leaning on the fence in front of the garages on Sunday when we picked our trailer up. It honestly looked like it had been there a while, so we didn’t think anything of it and just left it there. In front of garage 15 or so. 

At least I know where it went, looks like it got borrowed and failed to return. Was no looker but was functional and had attended more events than some teams.

@Justin9 what garage # were you?

WE have your bike.  IF you want to see it again please leave 7 dollars in a plain paper bag at the 7-11 garbage can on Monday night.  Do NOT try anything funny.  WE know where you live (and keep your cars).

IF you decide that 7 dollars is too much to pay WE will start mailing you pieces of your bike.  Pieces we CUT OFF.

No funny business.

Oh, the bike smells really bad so please pay.

• Haha 3