Lone Star Lift n' Drift Double-7 Race Report

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Greetings, Chumps!

When I left Dallas-Fort Worth Airport 10 days ago, the weather was beyond miserable. Blowing snow; frozen rain, sheets of black ice on every road; temps in the teens. I was lucky (if you call sitting in DFW for 14 hours "lucky") and was on 1 of 3 flights that actually got off the ground in the next 72 hours. Over the course of the last week, Texas (larger than any combination of half a dozen European countries) has been besieged with sub-freezing weather that has wreaked havoc on plumbing pipes, roadways and life-in-general. Let's face it -- Texas ain't used to this kinda weather!

However...

The sun has broken through! Sitting in the Chumperhome, and watching the cars roll through the tech inspection line, I see smiling faces, t-shirts (no shorts - they're not THAT crazy!), sunglasses and lots of Chumps having a great time... lying to each other about the value of their race car.

It's 60 degrees today and warming fast. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid-60's and almost 70 on Sunday. Not a cloud in the sky. The snow has melted away. Just like at Roebling Road, ChumpCar has brought the warmth of great racing and comraderie to another frozen wasteland. (Okay, maybe a little bit too much poetic license --but you get the point.) Anyway, it's time for race #2...

The Lone Star Lift n' Drift Double-7 from Eagles Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX)!

For the race reports (which I'll try to stay on top of), here's the run-down of car numbers, teams and cars that will be competing this weekend. If we get any late entries (which we always do), I'll add them in subsequent reports. Refer back to this list, because I'm just going to talk about car numbers from here on --- unless a car/team does something really spectacular (or stupid).

Car Number --------- Team --------- Car Type

0 -- 2 Beaners in a Bucket -- (unknown)

8 -- 8 Balls Racing -- Austin Healy Sprite

96 -- Bastardos -- Lincoln Mk. 8

83 -- City Garage Racing -- BMW 325i

40 -- Dead Presidents -- (unknown)

33 -- Formula 1 Rejects -- Ford Thunderbird

9 -- Gashole Motorsports -- Honda Prelude

88 -- Kentucky Fried Racing -- Honda Civic Sedan

1 -- Looney Tunes -- Ford Mustang

71 -- Loose Screw -- Toyota MR2 (1st Gen)

38 -- McRusty Racing -- Datsun 1600 Roadster

5 -- Mellenium Talon -- Mitsubishi Talon

89 -- Naturally Assparaded -- Toyota Paseo

44 -- Old Fart Racing -- Nissan 240SX

45 -- Out of Focus -- Ford Focus

11 -- Reel Em In Racing -- Toyota Celica

26 -- Shake n Bake -- Ford Mustang

59 -- Clown Shoe Racing/BP Oil Spill -- BMW 325

66 -- (unknown) -- Mazda RX7 (1st Gen)

22 -- Team Blue Goose -- VW Rabbit

6 -- Team Hybrid -- Porsche 944

53 (538) -- Team Mullet -- Toyota Supra

31 -- Team Operation -- BMW 325

7 -- They Aint Rite Racin -- Toyota MR2 (1st Gen)

47 -- The A Team -- Mazda Miata

10 -- Warthog Racing -- BMW 325e

76 (767) -- Wingnuts -- Nissan 200

84 -- ZeeGuys -- Nissan 300Z

...and let the madness begin!

Just like at Roebling Road, ChumpCar has brought the warmth of great racing and comraderie to another frozen wasteland. (Okay, maybe a little bit too much poetic license --but you get the point.)

Those of us signed up for Road America will expect Chumpcar to provide the same next month. :D

Car 26 (Shake n Bake Ford Mustang) blew a right rear brake caliper... which slowly bled-out the hydraulics, causing a massive brake loss. The car survived an interesting lap of spin/spin/spin. They're in the pits now. Cell phone use is quite active with local auto parts shops.

Parts have been found and are back in-route to the track. Should have replaced the damn calipers weeks ago, but they looked OK....

Guest Packard Goose

Two legit $500 E30s

The two fastest cars at the end were the Rabbit and the Mustang GT. But it's the entire day that makes the race.

GREAT RACING! We received more than a few comments that the level of driving skill and competition was far and above what they expected at a "crap can" race. Clean driving even 4 wide down the main straight and no traded paint when they crammed into the dogleg! ChumpCar made several converts today.

Two legit $500 E30s

The two fastest cars at the end were the Rabbit and the Mustang GT. But it's the entire day that makes the race.

GREAT RACING! We received more than a few comments that the level of driving skill and competition was far and above what they expected at a "crap can" race. Clean driving even 4 wide down the main straight and no traded paint when they crammed into the dogleg! ChumpCar made several converts today.

Joey,thats awesome news from ECR!But I'm not surprised after spending time at Harris Hill with ya all last Nov. You Texans know how to make us "non Texans"fill right at home...heck better than family!!!Everyone else out there if you have a chance(make one)to go to a Texas race,DO IT!!!"Thats right,you're not from Texas but Texas wants you anyway." Lyle Lovett :D

Guest E30 # 1

2 BMWs in the top-5 -- oh god, BOHICA.... :P

See what you brought upon yourself ..... as of the first report, 3 BMWs in top 10!!! Great racing in Texas ..... Hope they all finish well .... B)

Guest txryder

ECR was great and so was the racing. we'd have more fun if we didn't have to replace our clutch on day 1 and replace a sheered lug on day 2. But Chumpcar is great and so is ECR.

Guest Packard Goose

Hey All, just some advice/observations. Bear with me, may be kinda of long but worth the read:

No secret to the podium cars this past weekend. They went with a car they know. They drove well. They followed the rules. They had a good strategy.

The Looney Toons Mustang team has 6 CCWS races under their belt. They know the chassis and motor inside and out. They've had successes and catastrophic failures, but they keep working to improve the car and it pays off. Good drivers, good guys.

Same with the Gashole #9 Honda, Team Operation #31 and Clown Shoe #59. The #10 Warthog team is new to CCWS. They did not full grasp our concept eary on (once asking where they would have to serve their penalty on a black flag - say WHAT?) but the car ran strong both days and they were solid drivers. Good guys too.

NOTE: READ THE RULES!!!!! We were surprised how many people did not know or understand the rules! It makes life a LOT easier on you if you take a little time and read all the rules.

AIV!!!! Bring your research with you! If you prove it's a $500 car, then it's a $500 car. If not, we look it up at tech which means we're only able to get a very small sampling of data.

Now for some of the other awards and highlight from the weekend:

The "Chump Award"given to the team that best exhibits what ChumpCar is all about - this was a tough one because it could have gone to several teams. The winner was the #84 ZeeGuys team. The Z had cam and injector issues causing an early retirement on Saturday. They busted their humps to try to get the issues resolved for Sunday. It still ran like crap the next day but they ran the entire race! On Sunday morning the team captain approached John and I, telling us that they had run many races with the "other series" but now that they've tried us, they prefer ChumpCar. And even though they dropped out an hour in on Saturday and knew they would not be running for the podium, it was worth every penny.

"The All Nighter" Award went to the #7 Thay Aen't Rite Racin' team. They worked on the car all night Thursday night and all day Friday, caught a few hours of sleep and headed out from Austin at 2am, arriving just in time to register, get through tech and start the race. They ran all weekend. Team captain also gave props to the Loose Screw #71 team for helping out. Some great guys from the Heart of Texas!

The "Never Say Die" Award was hard-earned by the #8 8-Balls Racing team. Start with an MG Chassis and add a motorcycle engine. You can guess where this goes. They overheated the brakes in the first hour (ECR is hard on brakes). They're in the pits with a cutting wheel opening holes in the air dam and they were back out. The master cylinder doesn't push enough fluid,. so overnight they locate a master off of old Dodge pickup and retro fit. Sunday the wheels come off, literally. In Turn 8. The left rear wheel'specifically, departs the car and passes the flag station at top speed headed for the ranch next door to the track. They got it back, put it on, and wen't back out. There were other issues as well, but the team never threw in the towel. (Major props to track personnel who braved the mud and muck to drive around a retrieve the errant wheel)

The "Mechanical Excellence" Award went to 2 Beaners in a Bucket #00 team. They worked on the car until the last minute and brought it tot he track not running - with all sorts of tech "no-no's". We told them what needed to be corrected, they went back home Friday night, got the car running, fixed all the discrepancies, and ran all day both days. A team with 3 true novices (capt ran with us at TMS), no contact, no failures and only a few spins.

The "Rolling Smoke Screen" Award - you'd think this would go to someone who's suitably crappy can of bolts burned a tanker full of oil. No no, not this weekend. The award went to #98 Naturally Assparaded team, who had a "fire system malfunction", discharging the fire extinguisher at speed leaving a beautiful white plume from the cockpit as they sped down the track. We thought it was a car fire at first, but after they pitted and we learned the real story, one corner worker quipped "He'll be tasting that crap for at least a week".

One last comment. We had a driver who thought his car was on fire and pulled off track. He exited the car as you would expect. We rolled Fire and Rescue immediately. BUT he then walked around and opened the hood, and at a couple of points had his back to oncoming traffic. No nasty comments guys, he's a good dude from one of ChumpCar's biggest supporters. He had a brain fart and he admits it. But lessons for all to learn here.

1. Stay in the car unless it's on fire

2. If it's on fire, try to get to a manned corner station and get as far off track as possible.

3. Exit the car and get to the worker station or as far off track as possible. DO NOT TRY TO EXTINGUISH THE FIRE YOURSELF!

4. Never turn your back to oncoming traffic.

And on that note, thanks to some of the very best corner workers in the country.

Hope to see you at TWS (or a track near you)!

Greetings, Chumps!

When I left Dallas-Fort Worth Airport 10 days ago, the weather was beyond miserable. Blowing snow; frozen rain, sheets of black ice on every road; temps in the teens. I was lucky (if you call sitting in DFW for 14 hours "lucky") and was on 1 of 3 flights that actually got off the ground in the next 72 hours. Over the course of the last week, Texas (larger than any combination of half a dozen European countries) has been besieged with sub-freezing weather that has wreaked havoc on plumbing pipes, roadways and life-in-general. Let's face it -- Texas ain't used to this kinda weather!

However...

The sun has broken through! Sitting in the Chumperhome, and watching the cars roll through the tech inspection line, I see smiling faces, t-shirts (no shorts - they're not THAT crazy!), sunglasses and lots of Chumps having a great time... lying to each other about the value of their race car.

It's 60 degrees today and warming fast. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid-60's and almost 70 on Sunday. Not a cloud in the sky. The snow has melted away. Just like at Roebling Road, ChumpCar has brought the warmth of great racing and comraderie to another frozen wasteland. (Okay, maybe a little bit too much poetic license --but you get the point.) Anyway, it's time for race #2...

The Lone Star Lift n' Drift Double-7 from Eagles Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX)!

For the race reports (which I'll try to stay on top of), here's the run-down of car numbers, teams and cars that will be competing this weekend. If we get any late entries (which we always do), I'll add them in subsequent reports. Refer back to this list, because I'm just going to talk about car numbers from here on --- unless a car/team does something really spectacular (or stupid).

Car Number --------- Team --------- Car Type

0 -- 2 Beaners in a Bucket -- (unknown)

8 -- 8 Balls Racing -- Austin Healy Sprite

96 -- Bastardos -- Lincoln Mk. 8

83 -- City Garage Racing -- BMW 325i

40 -- Dead Presidents -- (unknown)

33 -- Formula 1 Rejects -- Ford Thunderbird

9 -- Gashole Motorsports -- Honda Prelude

88 -- Kentucky Fried Racing -- Honda Civic Sedan

1 -- Looney Tunes -- Ford Mustang

71 -- Loose Screw -- Toyota MR2 (1st Gen)

38 -- McRusty Racing -- Datsun 1600 Roadster

5 -- Mellenium Talon -- Mitsubishi Talon

89 -- Naturally Assparaded -- Toyota Paseo

44 -- Old Fart Racing -- Nissan 240SX

45 -- Out of Focus -- Ford Focus

11 -- Reel Em In Racing -- Toyota Celica

26 -- Shake n Bake -- Ford Mustang

59 -- Clown Shoe Racing/BP Oil Spill -- BMW 325

66 -- (unknown) -- Mazda RX7 (1st Gen)

22 -- Team Blue Goose -- VW Rabbit

6 -- Team Hybrid -- Porsche 944

53 (538) -- Team Mullet -- Toyota Supra

31 -- Team Operation -- BMW 325

7 -- They Aint Rite Racin -- Toyota MR2 (1st Gen)

47 -- The A Team -- Mazda Miata

10 -- Warthog Racing -- BMW 325e

76 (767) -- Wingnuts -- Nissan 200

84 -- ZeeGuys -- Nissan 300Z

...and let the madness begin!

john --you are having TOO MUCH Fun doing this chump car thing !!! can i quit my day job and follow you around the country ?

After our first chump car race, I have to say this is the series for us. No silliness, and all the people running the show (tech, registration, workers) were all great. They were all friendly and looked like they were having fun. We had a blast, and we all still have great things to say about the weekend even after the car died for good. I am so glad Tim stayed for the awards. Winning the Chump Awards means something to us. The rest of us were just beat, and I wanted to make it home and unload a non running car in the daylight.

Just a brief background: we are usually more prepared than this weekend. We forgot some spares, and were making repairs the week prior. The car was damaged from the freeze. The popped freeze plug was obvious and we fixed it, but the head damage was not. We got it running Thursday, and ran decent friday during practice (down on power still). Friday night I think we got more freeze damage, as it was running badly, and we didn't do anything. We made a handful of laps, but it was not drivable. We took the car home, and tried to fix the head and a bad oil leak. We finished up at 1:30am. We found that a cam was damaged from the last race after running low on oil. On track, the car still had a bad miss, and sometimes would have some power. We made it through most of the day Sunday, before another oil leak (along with worn oil rings) lightened the car of its oil.

While we were pushing the car back to the pits, a team took off their hats and covered hearts. Several of us almost fell down laughing.

We all can't wait for the next race. We will be ready, but we know that we will have fun regardless of what happens.

Chuck

• Like 1

Guest Packard Goose

Chuck, we're glad you guys were there. You earned that award, you guys showed that you "get it". I know you had a few issues and the car was only running on 5 cylinders - if that! But you hung in there and you enjoyed it no matter what happened. Little secret - toward the end of the race, one of the corners radio'd in and asked if we gave any special award for a team that overcomes adversity, or races clean, or jsut generally seems to keep their act together even when things go wrong. I asked why, he said "That #84 car. We haven't have a call on them all weekend. I know they haven't been out the whole time but when they have, they've taken a half-running car and raced clean". The rest of the corners agreed. I know these guys well, they work the SCCA races I run (among others) and see a lot of stuff, a lot of drivers, a lot of cars. To have them volunteer that is probably as much an honor as the ChumpCar award itself.

One last comment. We had a driver who thought his car was on fire and pulled off track. He exited the car as you would expect. We rolled Fire and Rescue immediately. BUT he then walked around and opened the hood, and at a couple of points had his back to oncoming traffic. No nasty comments guys, he's a good dude from one of ChumpCar's biggest supporters. He had a brain fart and he admits it. But lessons for all to learn here.

1. Stay in the car unless it's on fire

2. If it's on fire, try to get to a manned corner station and get as far off track as possible.

3. Exit the car and get to the worker station or as far off track as possible. DO NOT TRY TO EXTINGUISH THE FIRE YOURSELF!

4. Never turn your back to oncoming traffic.

Having seen the NASCAR Sportsman race where a safety worker got knocked 30' into the air while on the *far* side of a wrecked car, I'd amend that to: Keep as much metal between you are race traffic as possible. :P