Cut rear fender/bumper on miatas, why?

turbogrill

54 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Is this for weight savings or something else?

As @dwendel said it's an aero mod, maybe like a cheap diffuser.  I thought this was a pretty good discussion on the subject (although I don't know how credible this guy is, but he seems fair).  This test is even done using your car!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

And all the drivers are named the same and from Canada. Is that a thing in Canada? Cool cars and people are named the same?

They literally said that in the Gingerman broadcast last year  lol" I think there is some sort of joke in there" 

We only have 3 drivers.My brother,Dad and I.

Richard my Dad,Randy my brother and I'm named after my dad. 

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

They literally said that in the Gingerman broadcast last year  lol" I think there is some sort of joke in there" 

We only have 3 drivers.My brother,Dad and I.

Richard my Dad,Randy my brother and I'm named after my dad. 

I am very jealous, so many cool things going on here.

I’ve done quite a bit of online research on the matter (not very credible) and always see conflicting data on whether the bumper cut actually helps or not. 

The argument for not cutting seems to be that it created a high pressure zone right inside the rear bumper which helps clean and excavate the low pressure air out from under the car. The air coming out from under the car also plays in tandem with the air coming over the top and any other aero you might have. 

I guess my point here would be don’t take one persons result for their car as a gold standard. You have to think about how the change will work with the entire system. I think my teammate might have some CFD with and without the bumper cut that I might be able to share. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:43 PM, Bandit said:

Nascar guys way ahead of you. Allison's rear bumper was held on with "turkey turd" welds so it fell off with a minor tap.

BobbyAllison1982Buick7Copy-vi.jpg

After it was gone, so was he. Won Daytona by 23 seconds.

Today the rear bumper cover is part of the "minimum equipment list" and you are black flagged if you loose it at speedways....same reason....

• Technical Advisory Committee

I was there that year NASCAR was up everyone's butt about the bottoms of the car especially the rear around the fuel cell and not allowing flat trunk pans to the bottoms of the quarters and rear bumper. Your close off panels had to be raised to the top of the cell leaving the rear bumper hanging down to catch the air. Spent almost all day getting ours to pass. As soon as Bobby Allison's ejectoe bumper came off I told Bobby King look out boy.  Allison was GONE he could pull away at will, winning by what ever distance he wanted as no one could even draft him.

• Like 5

I cut mine off because of weight.  I have more to remove but don't want to screw up the balance.  If I ever remove most of the front bumper support, I'll take more off the back.  

I left just enough bumper to sort of be a bumper but not a parachute.  

To up the racecar building game....

Once you have eliminated everything that doesn't make the car go faster, start asking "what parts can I use to do 2 or 3 jobs?".  Once you figure that out, you can remove the redundant pieces as well.

I am not giving out free examples of this....

But, don't listen to me because somehow my new build is heavier than my old build and I was sure I cut out about 100# more steel and definitely have a few bulky items that do more than 1 job....  should be like 150# lighter, but the scales don't lie.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

25 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Once you have eliminated everything that doesn't make the car go faster, start asking "what parts can I use to do 2 or 3 jobs?".  Once you figure that out, you can remove the redundant pieces as well.

But, don't listen to me because somehow my new build is heavier than my old build and I was sure I cut out about 100# more steel and definitely have a few bulky items that do more than 1 job....  should be like 150# lighter, but the scales don't lie.

Same year body??

Motor weigh more?

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Oooo, like using the coolshirt cooler as a transmission cooler?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It probably has something to do with Covid.....:lol:

• Haha 1