2020 Campout at Nelson Ledges 8+7 Results and Images

• Technical Advisory Committee
52 minutes ago, DaveH said:

If you don't see god in turns 1 and 2 you aren't doing it right.  It took me about 4 endurance races at NL to figure that out.

Add losing a hub and getting pad knock back to the point the pedal goes to the floor.......going into turn 1.  I didn't have time to see him.

• Like 1
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a rollercoaster of a weekend at Nelson Ledges Road Course with ChampCar Endurance Series. Friday at practice, Violette was doing great. No issues and she has a really fast pace. Saturday's 8 hour

I was the last car in the group to get past you as you swung back across, but it was close. I was watching you the whole time and kept you in my periphery as you started to come back on, but since I k

We had an interesting weekend for McKibbins Biohazard Racing.  The new car was good early Saturday but then went down a cylinder less than an hour in.  Fouling a plug pretty bad.  Troy changed the plu

Posted Images

15 hours ago, TimS said:

About 35 laps in for us. Maybe 45-50 minutes from start. Red E30. 

I went across the track left to right and thankfully I didn’t hit anyone and everyone else dodged me. It was a blur for me and my camera shut off at about 10 minutes and started again 5 hours later and missed all the good stuff 

I was the last car in the group to get past you as you swung back across, but it was close. I was watching you the whole time and kept you in my periphery as you started to come back on, but since I knew there was no way I'd be able to slow down enough to let you safely cross my nose, I really was just praying to the gods of full throttle to save me. Was very glad to see you and the car back out there after the haul-out from the truck.

Our race in the #380 T&A Racing entry went as well as could be expected considering the situation. Both days, two separate transmissions let go enough that we only had 4th gear both days. Luckily that was the best possible gear to have for our car and that track, but it was a little heartbreaking since I was leading early on Saturday and only fell back because I had no trans. Also heartbreaking was getting beaten in a drag race by the Miatas on the final turn onto the front straight. Certainly made for some very fun battles though since we always had to consider a line that kept us in a 4th gear rev range.

Unrelated...here's the best bit of footage I have of my own stint. Stupid T-Rex arms...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
On 7/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, TimS said:

We made the 8-10 hour tow from Charlotte on Thursday. Hit the test day after getting the car through 2020 tech. Thanks again Champcar staff for a quick and accurate inspection. Got on track just before lunch break. Had no idea which way the track went. None of the three of us had been to Nelson Ledges before. All three of us got out for as many laps as we dared. Saturday we started to close to the front of the pack especially since we only had limited laps. Started to get into a good rhythm when a big pack of fast cars kinda forced me wide at the exit of the carousel. I took a wild ride across the track and ended up in the tire wall. Got a tow off of the wall and after a quick pit stop to pull out the front fender and secure the exhaust. New driver and we were back. The rest of the race was good and clean trying get up to speed and learn the track. 

Sunday again started great at the back of the pack this time. Unfortunately the team we are sharing a pit spot with passes me under yellow and then spins directly into my path. Light tap on the nose but radiator takes a good hit and is leaking. Replaced with spare. Down 30 minutes again. The rest of the race goes perfectly all drivers did a great job. Car ran perfect. New engine ran flawlessly, thanks Huggy. Track was great, frightening, fast, narrow and amazing all in one. We had a great weekend and met some amazing people. Champcar staff was very helpful too. 

We have video of the off and you missing us and @SteMo by feet coming back across the track out of our rear camera. Once its uploaded ill post a link to the video. We all got lucky you didnt clip us because if we did get clipped either one of use would have been headed track left into that marsh at a very high rate of speed!

Edited by Gkuhn41
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, shutupracing said:

Sooooooo YOU'RE the guy doing lock-up divebombs in Bio at the start.... LOL. 😄

just one!  I was getting frustrated.  :)

3 hours ago, SteMo said:

I was the last car in the group to get past you as you swung back across, but it was close. I was watching you the whole time and kept you in my periphery as you started to come back on, but since I knew there was no way I'd be able to slow down enough to let you safely cross my nose, I really was just praying to the gods of full throttle to save me. Was very glad to see you and the car back out there after the haul-out from the truck.

Our race in the #380 T&A Racing entry went as well as could be expected considering the situation. Both days, two separate transmissions let go enough that we only had 4th gear both days. Luckily that was the best possible gear to have for our car and that track, but it was a little heartbreaking since I was leading early on Saturday and only fell back because I had no trans. Also heartbreaking was getting beaten in a drag race by the Miatas on the final turn onto the front straight. Certainly made for some very fun battles though since we always had to consider a line that kept us in a 4th gear rev range.

Unrelated...here's the best bit of footage I have of my own stint. Stupid T-Rex arms...

I was very thankful that I didn’t hit anyone and did get hit. I just along for the ride. As soon as I headed down the outside of carousel turn  exit the car didn’t respond to anything I was trying. It was slick as ice. 

We were pitted close to you guys and were curious why you were pushing the car out of the pits. 4th gear is tough from a dead stop. Makes for a tough weekend. 

Edited by TimS
1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

We have video of the off and you missing us and @SteMo by feet coming back across the track out of our rear camera. Once its uploaded ill post a link to the video. We all got lucky you didnt clip us because if we did get clipped either one of use would have been headed track left into that marsh at a very high rate of speed!

I would love to see that clip. Everyone did a great job. 

15 hours ago, shutupracing said:

How do I embed the video?

Rollover Video

I start the video a bit early. Sorry about that. I do continue the video up to the red flag as I felt our driver did a textbook job seeing the flag and coming to a controlled stop in sight of the flag.

thanks for the video.  1) any off in that fast section of the track is likely to induce a spin 2) I'll talk with track management about the access road maybe the ground can be redone to avoid tripping like that.  I'm guessing they already know but I'll say it anyway.   

Edit:  they have addressed the issue by fixing the grade up to the access road.  I'll inspect next time out

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Would love to see Nelson on the schedule in April or May 2021.  Less heat = more fun.

April and May will be soggy, and / or quite cold.  We had snow up here the first week of May.  September into early October is probably the best weather wise but ChampCar has to figure out how to fit in all the races

21 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I like the July Nelson Ledges race as it works well in my fat loss program from all the beer :)

I hear you. I now have some room in my drivers suit. Felt like I lost a couple gallons of water Saturday. Man it was hot. Drank my one liter of water during the parade laps. Knew it was going to be a long hot day. 😀

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TimS said:

I hear you. I now have some room in my drivers suit. Felt like I lost a couple gallons of water Saturday. Man it was hot. Drank my one liter of water during the parade laps. Knew it was going to be a long hot day. 😀

Sorry we missed you there or we didn't get a chance to catch up.  Next time beer is on me.

Here is our fast lap from the weekend which was on Saturday in the 2nd stint:

1 hour ago, TimS said:

I would love to see that clip. Everyone did a great job. 

As soon as i get it ill send it over. I agree great heads up driving by everyone. Glad you guys didnt have much damage, as we saw elsewhere it could have gone baaaaaad. 

• Thanks 1

Lost and found:

We gained a cooler... packing up Sunday we had a white cooler in our pit (12) that didn’t belong to any of us but nobody nearby would claim it. Describe it and it’s yours, it’s in my garage now. 

Edited by enginerd

I want to thank the blue miata for giving me a little push down the front straight.  we ran both days basically in 4th gear only so coming out of that last turn was brutal.   can't wait to see the heat destruction on our new clutch.   we swapped trans and clutch Saturday night but the same back sunday within an hour.   I think I've narrowed it down to an internal leak on the clutch master possibly combined with pressure plate.   will have to rip it apart and take a look.

Loved Nelson and look forward to getting back

• Administrators
1 hour ago, theblue said:

I want to thank the blue miata for giving me a little push down the front straight.  we ran both days basically in 4th gear only so coming out of that last turn was brutal.   can't wait to see the heat destruction on our new clutch.   we swapped trans and clutch Saturday night but the same back sunday within an hour.   I think I've narrowed it down to an internal leak on the clutch master possibly combined with pressure plate.   will have to rip it apart and take a look.

How old is your real main seal? 

What symptoms were you experiencing?

2 hours ago, theblue said:

I'm thinking poor clutch release.  That will kill a trans quite quickly as I have found out. 

You need a bit of an actual gap between the components in the clutch when it is fully depressed to be able to actually release.

I use a zip tie as a feeler with someone pushing on the clutch pedal.  Previously, I relied on being able to turn the driveshaft by hand.  I have since found out (2 trans that needed to be rebuilt) that this is not effective enough after the components get some heat in them.

I drilled a 1inch hole in the bell housing so I can visually verify as well as do the ziptie test.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, theblue said:

After you told me about only having 4th gear, I did have to chuckle a few times when getting past you, thought to myself "yup, welcome to my world".

I had two people tell me "you've got speed over us, just pass on the straight" when the answer is, no I have apex speed on you but in a straight up drag race you beat me hands down.

CAr1.jpg.6cea4e1165c6e204c2c7f8e2c103b25

Damn, that car looked much better on Sunday than after we got together on Saturday, I didn't see it until the grid on Sunday.  Knowing it took you out of the race makes me feel worse about how that transpired.  Looks like you did a splendid job of getting under my bumper with yours.  Wishing it never happened. 

1 minute ago, MMiskoe said:

After you told me about only having 4th gear, I did have to chuckle a few times when getting past you, thought to myself "yup, welcome to my world".

I had two people tell me "you've got speed over us, just pass on the straight" when the answer is, no I have apex speed on you but in a straight up drag race you beat me hands down.

I actually started off Champ (Chump back then) in a MkII Golf so I was born into racing with a super low-power platform. I think we were actually the 52nd slowest car out of 54 entries in the 36hr race in Spokane. Still came in 7th too! It's a trip to actually experience racing with straight-line speed now, though. Did have some great fun battles with you through the day so I can't complain too much. Was great racing with you