2020 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 10, VIR - 7/29/2020, 8/5/2020

Rapido

It's time for the big one. The longest day of the summer for many ChampCar racers, as they take on the 24 hours at VIR. Fortunately we at the CCiS are not going to force you all through a solo 24 hour race, but this will be 2 hours compared to our usual 1 hour. This is the maximum allowable stint time for a driver in ChampCar, so it's time to put you all to the test. To compensate for this increased length, there will be 2 fast repairs available, and an increased initial fuel fill of 8.5g. Please note also that the in-sim multiplier is set at 8x, so the race session should see a full night cycle through to dawn the following day. Good luck!

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 29-July-2020
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 5-August-2020
  • Practice Start: 7:00pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:00pm ET
  • Cars: Mazda MX-5 NC Cup
  • Track: Virginia International Raceway - Full Course
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 8-August-2020
  • In-Sim Practice Session Start Time: 7:00am
  • In-Sim Qualifying Session Start Time: 12:00pm
  • In-Sim Race Session Start Time: 3:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 8x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: iRacing Baseline with 8.5g fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 2
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 2

Yea sorry I joined late, it was night by the time I got my car out.  First time I've been in the sim in at least a month or so.  Was running decent laps and then the VR bug hit and put me in the wall when I lost the picture.  Towed it to the pits, forgot to check fast repair....ugh.  See you guys next week for the real thing.

22 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Was running decent laps and then the VR bug hit and put me in the wall when I lost the picture.  

Not the first person I know with VR problems.  Must be a lot better than 3 monitor setup to take the risk of fail?

I'm only into this about 3 months and running a budget 3 monitor which I'm quite happy with now.  just trying to figure out VR vs monitors

On 7/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, mostmint said:

Not the first person I know with VR problems.  Must be a lot better than 3 monitor setup to take the risk of fail?

I'm only into this about 3 months and running a budget 3 monitor which I'm quite happy with now.  just trying to figure out VR vs monitors

Its not frequent, I've run in VR before for 12 hours without a hitch.  If you've got 3 monitors stick with it.  

• Thanks 1

Fun race last night!  Love almost pulled him one out was excited to see him running up front.  I had some first lap fun that sent me from 9th back to 22nd that required a fast repair.  Took all the fuel I could.  Had to stop again for 3 gallons with 24 mins left.  Ran the race on one set of tires...she was a little dancy towards the end.  Thought it was super cool to be able to see the sunrise!  Was only my second time in the rig in a few months and it showed.  See you guys in the Street Stock at Indy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VIR is always special for me. Love that track. Some great clean racing up there at the front. I think the only contact I had during the whole race was just a slight rub with Justin in the dark. Had a couple of times trying to pass you in the dark when a lapped car would decide to come back on the racing surface that made my heart skip. 

Obviously wish I took another gallon and we could have scrapped it out the whole race but oh well. I haven’t done a single lap at Indy so that’s going to be an interesting race!

• Like 1

Had a good run!  Made it into the top 1/2 for qualifying and finishing.  2:18.294 qualify was a new PR for me but I was not able to replicate that speed in the race.  Was happy to get that close to leader qualifying times with this long and technical track, and being < 4 months into iRacing.  Only one off requiring the car to stop, but many little mistakes (wrecking without wrecking I sometimes call them) also cost me some time.  

Just finished watching the HJBC coverage on YouTube - several adventures for some top 5 drivers with our less experienced drivers!  Kind of a wild card out there - does remind me though that ChampCar is an entry level series.  

Usually try to pit one lap before leaders come in but this time Justin came in right behind me and I went one lap down rolling down pit lane looking for my pit stall.  If it were a one hour race I think I could have managed to finish on the lead lap.

Looking forward to Indy with the street stock car!  My default car settings failed tech at VIR I'll need to figure out if we all get the same settings or do I need to figure that out too before 9/9.

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 1