Good Bad and Ugly Discussion.

27 minutes ago, enginerd said:

1) this is using “ram horn” manifold, correct? Manifold barely visible in picture I saw.

2) “ram horn” didn’t come on the L82 corvette engine?

3) what rule is coming in 2021? I remember some rule about exhaust manifold being allowed from other cars on the VPI list for free but I thought this only applied to engine swaps to “make it work”. This was a compromise down from “run a free aftermarket header to make it work”. Maybe I misremembered. 

1. Yes, ram's horn manifold.

2. Checking now...

3. "4.5.3.1. Any OE exhaust manifold from a vehicle on the VPI Early/Late List can be used on a swapped engine for zero (0) points. Aftermarket headers will be 25-points on all vehicles regardless of fitment issues. Effective on January 1st, 2021." 

That's the only rule I think tech could use (or ignore) if the ram's horn wasn't stock.

Edited by mender
  • Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning folks.  I had a great discussion with Mike Chisek and Bill Riley yesterday.  I knew that the TAC was working on about 5 or 6 additional cars that need revalued on the VPI list so for 2021

My story.  I'm not one for protesting.  Have never done it. I also understand that post race tech, whether protested by a team or discovered by tech, illegal is illegal.  When I am asked to withdraw m

Just to be clear.  Nobody is upset with GBU for building the car or how the team is or drives.  We are upset with how the series handled teching and point association with this car, both pre and post

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Nothing wrong with a rams horn on that car, but I will confirm someone else comment on the steering box.

Earlier C3s had a ram cylinder hooked into the steering linkage for power steering and didn't use a conventional ps box. The control valve was at the base of the steering column.

I'm not a '78 C3 expert.

Edited by mender
9 minutes ago, Wink said:

While I like the idea of the tech desk, I imagine it would be extremely difficult to remember and enforce all the specific rulings that have been made over the year.

There’s a very simple solution here....

Hey @National Tech @Ray Franck @chisek, stop making all these circumstantial and model specific rules. So much of this poop could be avoided if you respond “no, it’s already covered in the rulebook” whenever a team asks for something. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
4 minutes ago, mender said:

This is more the style that Chevy was using in the late '70s:

Exhaust for Sale / Page #43 of / Find or Sell Auto parts

Still looking for an unaltered example.

Not sure when they went from hyd assisted to regular power steering box but that tech should have been extinct by then, no matter its a easy lookup...BTW vette had a different manifold then impala.

edit

as you have already verified.

Edited by Team Infiniti
3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not sure when they went from hyd assisted to regular power steering box but that tech should have been extinct by then, no matter its a easy lookup...OH Vette had a different manifold then impala.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech-articles/1963-1982-corvette-power-steering-rebuild/

They kept the mechanical tach drive until 1974, should have been retired before then as well... ;)

Edited by mender
2 minutes ago, mender said:

What one needs to ask: Is it outside intent or spirit to convert one type mechanically driven, gearbox inspired, hydro PS from one to the other?

My comment on this matter was only to confirm the exhaust belonged there but the steering box looked off.

Are we really that surprised that a multi million dollar, purebred racing company with an unlimited budget and unlimited technology at their fingertips would build a legal car that proves the rules have no limits and then simply beats up on what amounts to 99% grassroots race teams?

Even cruising around Indy five to six seconds off their own pace is enough to dominate the entire field. Their next step will be to bring in a crew of pro drivers just to see what the car is actually capable of.

My only real question is; What's the point?

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Richard said:

would build a legal car

That's what's in contention. I'd LOVE to see them build a 100% legal car and compare against grassroots racers, that would be the real test of the rules. Seems as though that got many concessions to the rules to build this car, and that seems wrong.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 9
1 minute ago, Slugworks Paul said:

That's what's in contention. I'd LOVE to see them build a 100% legal car and compare against grassroots racers, that would be the real test of the rules. Seems as though that got many concessions to the rules to build this car, and that seems wrong.

I believe this is their attempt to do as you sayI believe this is their attempt to do as you say

11 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

THIS.

if my team showed up the Tech with that Corvette, we'd be thrown into EC or thrown out from the track without even a smile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

THIS.

if my team showed up the Tech with that Corvette, we'd be thrown into EC or thrown out from the track without even a smile.

One of the tech inspectors told us outright during 2020 tech that it was his goal to get our car outlawed.    Then this vette has the rule book rewritten for it.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Snake said:

One of the tech inspectors told us outright during 2020 tech that it was his goal to get our car outlawed.    

Assuming that is a direct quote and not intended in jest by the tech inspector, maybe you should have taken that specific comment up with Jay....

This is truly a head shaking, disappointing load of...well fill in your favorite bad thing.   Its like 1 step or so forward in the rule enforcement and interpretation world and a mile run backwards.      Lots of things are wrong here and many petitions need to be written to clarify rules.   

So now to see it this gets corrected and brought back to what probably 95 percent of the teams thought the intent of the rules were, at the sacrifice of one teams rule stretching and swift talking with tech on interpretation,  or is one team kept happy and we just wait for all the rest of us to get over it?     

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

Assuming that is a direct quote and not intended in jest by the tech inspector, maybe you should have taken that specific comment up with Jay....

We took it to Mike.  

2 minutes ago, the5 said:

The corvette has no Struts, how do you have a strut bar with No Struts lol

I was surprised they didn't just do like this old Greenwood chassis... 

http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Race cars/99/swiss4.jpg

image.png.a519f3702cf8111ccf838779c67a8885.png

The welded cross bar would be a no no here of course, but if it were bolted, should be fine.  This is the effect they were going for on the current car.

But hey, The Riley's know a thing or two about C3 Corvette's anyway...

image.png.2e98b2c5d7f8b2f5dcf133c6a172ee9f.png

1 minute ago, Huggy said:

Spoilers can be wider than the of body but wings and splitters cannot be, unless I am mistaken.

No. 

•  Aerodynamic Devices                            

o Spoiler / Wing / Splitter / Diffuser / Aero Pan /Air Dam / Side Skirts: 10 pts/ea                                

• Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when                                       viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width. 

The answer to the tech desk ticket was just poorly written

Edited by petawawarace
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1