Shoutout to Biohazard aka "why Champcar and it's teams are awesome"

In one of the recent tire threads on mentioned the struggles my team has with tire wear.  @MR2 Biohazard reaches out to me on DM to offer his knowledge, tools, data analysis etc to help me solve this issue and try to get my car setup well for handling and tire wear.  I wasn't asking for help, but he could see that I needed it an so he reached out to me.

There are so many awesome members, drivers and teams like this....and that's a big part of why CCES is a great organization to race with.

• Like 6

• Technical Advisory Committee

Wow, @MR2 BiohazardTroy must be getting soft as he ages. His posts have been thoughtful and civil too! Just kidding...

That's awesome to hear, (way to be an ambassador Troy!) and yes, Champcar is filled with some very smart and passionate people who are very willing to help each other out.

• Like 2

Reach out to any of the top teams.  If they aren't busy and don't help, they are just dicks.  Most teams will spout forth their knowledge and actually give you their info in a same model car.

Troy has helped me when things didn't make sense at races.  At 1 or 2 of those races he actually helped me solve an issue that allowed me to beat him....

• Like 5

Love the love going on here. This is true. I yet not found a Champcar racer not willing to help out another racer.  I got through inspection and needed some hard foam. Our racing neighbor heard us wondering were the heck I was going to get this. He walked out of his trailer handed me a 3ft stick and just gave it to us. I didnt ask. I offered to pay. Nothing to do with us paying. Just asked us to forward on the help. That reminds me to find him at Harris Hill and remind him of my much gratitude in the past. And yes I have forwarded on some help. Gave second seat rides at test and tune to a guy who came from up north and rented seat. His rented car was down. Gave rides to show him were to miss the bumps.

• Like 4

• Administrators

I have known Troy for almost 20 years. He had hair then. Best guy out there. Ruthless on the track, but helpful as hell in the paddock and pit lane. 
When we started out auto racing in 2009, You kinda had to learn this shit by trial and error. But there were many chumpers willing to help us, and I know that Troy is just paying it back. 

• Like 3

My philosophy in racing is, I want to beat you on the track, not the Paddock. If I can help with advice, parts, or brawn, I will do what I can.  I even towed a trailer from Savanah to Daytona for a guy who had their truck stolen from a hotel.  

When people help each other, it makes racing that much more enjoyable. 

I know the Ergolab guys came to me and let me know about the motor mount failures they had, and Jerry Enger has basically walked me through the Ecotec swap.  This is a great group of racers.

Edited by Final Turn Motorsports
  • Like 6

More than once I have watched someone go over the wall to dive under a car and call for a wrench and the two pit boxes on either side of them are digging through toolboxes to help out.  I don't think any of us want to win or lose because of off track action.  I've ended up volunteering at a few events because none of my regular teams were showing up and you still end up finding people always willing to share information and/or a beer.

• Like 3

• Members
23 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

In one of the recent tire threads on mentioned the struggles my team has with tire wear.  @MR2 Biohazard reaches out to me on DM to offer his knowledge, tools, data analysis etc to help me solve this issue and try to get my car setup well for handling and tire wear.  I wasn't asking for help, but he could see that I needed it an so he reached out to me.

There are so many awesome members, drivers and teams like this....and that's a big part of why CCES is a great organization to race with.

Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate it. I was just trying to help a fellow racer who seemed to have a similar issue we had. I hope it works out as the tire temp data does not lie.

20 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Wow, @MR2 BiohazardTroy must be getting soft as he ages. His posts have been thoughtful and civil too! Just kidding...

That's awesome to hear, (way to be an ambassador Troy!) and yes, Champcar is filled with some very smart and passionate people who are very willing to help each other out.

Soft- Maybe.  Older- yes. I have learned to let things go and not be so defensive on the forum. If I get upset at something I walk away. It has really helped me keep my sanity. i had people tell me I was cool in person and an ass on the forum. When I got that I knew I had to go away from the forum for a year and evaluate. I now enjoy it much more.

17 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Reach out to any of the top teams.  If they aren't busy and don't help, they are just dicks.  Most teams will spout forth their knowledge and actually give you their info in a same model car.

Troy has helped me when things didn't make sense at races.  At 1 or 2 of those races he actually helped me solve an issue that allowed me to beat him....

hmm. I help and you beat me, grrr. Just kidding. I love the battle of racing and want us all to do that. A good place or win against others in a battle is what I hope for me and others. I want to win on the track because we drove better or better strategy, never ever because someone fails. I try to help get people on track to have that battle.

BTW- I will do all I can to not have you do that entire beat me again thing.

I think we have a lot of stories like this in Champcar and that is why I like it so much. Bitter rivals on track and best of friends off track, well most of us anyway.

14 hours ago, Final Turn Motorsports said:

My philosophy in racing is, I want to beat you on the track, not the Paddock. If I can help with advice, parts, or brawn, I will do what I can.  I even towed a trailer from Savanah to Daytona for a guy who had their truck stolen from a hotel.  

When people help each other, it makes racing that much more enjoyable. 

I know the Ergolab guys came to me and let me know about the motor mount failures they had, and Jerry Enger has basically walked me through the Ecotec swap.  This is a great group of racers.

BTW that ergolab guy was me at impound, short fat bald guy, that is all me. I hope to get rid of the fat someday in that statement.  Our motor mount broke earlier with the same swap setup and caused cascading negative effices of failure that ruined our weekend. I saw him in impound and showed him where ours failed and the area that should be welded so he does not have the same failure. I hope it works out. We are debating an accusump now also after your Sunday engine blowing up so maybe we can calibrate on a best practice on that.

Troy

• Like 5

Great to hear everyone chiming in about how they've helped others or been helped themselves by other teams. 

This weekend I'm taking one of my main compeitors @Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com out for a track day so he can test-n-tune his car.  We've done this several times and now we end up racing neck and neck at most events...and often end the race within 1 lap of each other.  It definitely makes the racing so much better.

I don't know where you guys are getting this info. from about Troy.  All I know is he volunteered to "help us out" at the VIR24 this year and somehow my ignition coil bracket fell off the car and our lights developed a short which caused a thermal incident.  LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

I don't know where you guys are getting this info. from about Troy.  All I know is he volunteered to "help us out" at the VIR24 this year and somehow my ignition coil bracket fell off the car and our lights developed a short which caused a thermal incident.  LOL 

its the thought that counts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Maybe Troy isn't such a bad guy after all. Maybe I have just misunderstood him for 10 years. 

These are the things I will contemplate as I remove all the Biohazard stickers he stuck all over my race car / trailer / hauler from Indy 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Members
4 hours ago, red0 said:

Maybe Troy isn't such a bad guy after all. Maybe I have just misunderstood him for 10 years. 

These are the things I will contemplate as I remove all the Biohazard stickers he stuck all over my race car / trailer / hauler from Indy 🤣

The goal was to get them in places that you will not find right away and laugh months from now. I think the passenger side mirror on the hauler was my favorite. All belted in and ready to go and you see the orange sticker there to annoy you all the way until you fill up, but of course you forget then and start to drive and get annoyed again. I hope that played out over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
4 hours ago, Ronh911 said:

I was paid by other teams to sabotage you from the win, I am surprised you did not figure out that. Maybe I did such a good job at the sabotage you were distracted to see the truth.

BTW- you should share the video of the in car fire. Car wires catch on fire, driver looks down, pats it a bit, car still on fire, keeps driving and calm. Zero F**Ks given. I was like, holy crap, I would have S**T myself.

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 12:38 PM, QuaTTro said:

Great to hear everyone chiming in about how they've helped others or been helped themselves by other teams. 

This weekend I'm taking one of my main compeitors @Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com out for a track day so he can test-n-tune his car.  We've done this several times and now we end up racing neck and neck at most events...and often end the race within 1 lap of each other.  It definitely makes the racing so much better.

True dat!  @QuaTTro Thanks for making us all better!

• Like 1

Troy is truly a great person.  Competitive as hell, but never hesitates to help.  I'm lucky to consider him a friend and teammate.  I think most of the people in our series will help.  I've tried to help everyone I can.