Jump to content

Rear hub upgrade how many points?


turbogrill
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

You can fit the RX8 rear hubs in the NC Miata to avoid having a wheel falling off. It needs more than the actual hub, curious how many points.

It needs the following:

- RX8 hub 

- RX8 wheel bearing

- RX8 "knuckle" / upright

- RX8 outer CV Joint (it uses the MX5 axel but one end needs to be RX8 end so it mates to the RX8 knuckle/hub)

 

Here is a proper description of the problem, http://files.world-challenge.com/vehicletech/vts/requests/resolution/2016-PWC-TECH-CHANGE-TC-Mazda-MX5-RearUpright.pdf 

All except hub and bearing is cheaply from junkyards.

 

The hub is beefier so its a reliability upgrade for sure, so that is 2.5pts.

I am curious about the other stuff that needs to make the hub fit would be included in the hub. Since the intention is that you have to pay points for the upgraded reliability with the hub.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by turbogrill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would assume 10 points per upright, bearing included.  You could argue that if you are taking points for the upright, the matching factory hub should be included.  I think 2.5 pts is just if you are running an upgraded hub but leaving everything else stock, like the Focus guys do.  I could see the CV being additional points, but I could see tech also saying it's included.  Just have somebody from a high dollar pro team ask for you and say it is for safety and I'm sure it'll be zero points.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

I would assume 10 points per upright, bearing included.  You could argue that if you are taking points for the upright, the matching factory hub should be included.  I think 2.5 pts is just if you are running an upgraded hub but leaving everything else stock, like the Focus guys do.  I could see the CV being additional points, but I could see tech also saying it's included.  Just have somebody from a high dollar pro team ask for you and say it is for safety and I'm sure it'll be zero points.

 

9 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'd say the same.  10 pts per upright.  2.5 pts for hub (doesn't matter who made it, if you are using it as a different hub, 2.5 pts).  So 12.5 pts per side?

 

Or is that 12.5 pts total?

 

Ok thanks.

 

The 10ps would be due to a suspension component?

 

It might be able to tolerate 12.5pts, but 25pts is a little much.

 

Might just replace the rear hub often (annoying since it will cost more than just have a permanent solution.)

 

Here is a petition that describes the issue in case I missed anything, http://files.world-challenge.com/vehicletech/vts/requests/resolution/2016-PWC-TECH-CHANGE-TC-Mazda-MX5-RearUpright.pdf

Edited by turbogrill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Actually if you look at the 2020 FPV list it states non-OE suspension components are 10 points per CORNER not COMPONENT.

Actually, it says: • Suspension component (not otherwise listed in this 
table), non-OE: 10 pts per corner

 

No (s) on the end.

 

I'm thinking 25 pts for that.  poop.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

Actually, it says 10 points per component.  No (s) on the end.

 

I'm thinking 25 pts for that.  poop.

 

It's tricky, I can see how there can be some other car where changing the upright gives you a performance advantage for some other reason (in this case it's just heavier).

 

I guess I could pay a fabricator to build a strong MX5 hub from the RX8 hub. But that is probably more expensive than just replacing them before each race.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Actually, it says: • Suspension component (not otherwise listed in this 
table), non-OE: 10 pts per corner

 

No (s) on the end.

 

I'm thinking 25 pts for that.  poop.

 

Do you get 10 points per corner for whatever non-OE suspension component you want, so is it maxed at 40 points per car and you can have as many non-OE suspension components on that corner?

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

Do you get 10 points per corner for whatever non-OE suspension component you want, so is it maxed at 40 points per car and you can have as many non-OE suspension components on that corner?

 

Any suspension component is 10 pts, per corner, per do-dad.  The "per corner" was added because of claims that control arms only come as a set and you would never upgrade a suspension piece on one side of the car and not do the other, and thus a "set" was one component.  The re-write is supposed to clarify that any suspension do-dad not otherwise listed in the FPV is 10 points per corner.  And thus, pretty much anything upgrade you do is minimum 20 points unless it's something asymmetrical like a panhard bar.  I was told last week even non-stock leaf spring shackles are 10 points each.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
43 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

Do you get 10 points per corner for whatever non-OE suspension component you want, so is it maxed at 40 points per car and you can have as many non-OE suspension components on that corner?


I still read this as 'per component' too.  Not per corner.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Would brake ducting help reduce the stress on the hub?

 

We don't get much wear on the rear brakes so I don't think there is much heat to remove anyways..

 

 What's failing?  Bearing or hub?  If bearing, upgrade the bearing for nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

 What's failing?  Bearing or hub?  If bearing, upgrade the bearing for nothing.

 

It's the hub, wheels fall off.

 

SpecMX5 now allows the use of RX8 hubs, but was an issue in the Cup MX5 and Spec MX5 classes. They are also running Proxies RR, so a little more grip.

 

But we have decent grip with our 255 RE71s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I have a different knuckle and hub on the front my car. I take 10 points per knuckle on each side (20 total) and 2.5 for the hub. I take 25 points total. It would be nice it was 10 per component and be 12.5 for all of it.

 

On my car the stock hubs brake after 2-3 races and cost $175 each, plus a destroyed bearing at like $50 each. It was costing $450 every other race to replace them. The new setup I can run a year or more without replacement and saved me like $2000 a year in cost, which can go towards another race entry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I have a different knuckle and hub on the front my car. I take 10 points per knuckle on each side (20 total) and 2.5 for the hub. I take 25 points total. It would be nice it was 10 per component and be 12.5 for all of it.

 

On my car the stock hubs brake after 2-3 races and cost $175 each, plus a destroyed bearing at like $50 each. It was costing $450 every other race to replace them. The new setup I can run a year or more without replacement and saved me like $2000 a year in cost, which can go towards another race entry.

 

Thanks!

 

Curious, what car is this again?

 

We would be looking at a similar cost, sucks.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, turbogrill said:

 

And the most famous is? The corvette?

 

What has caused it to be so famous?

 

Infamous...

 

Basically a few things...  in the middle ages of champcar, it was an overdog but fragile.  It either had fast lap and podiumed or broke (usually hubs or trans).

 

It has had the vpi stated that it would be raised, then when the rules came out officially it wasnt.

 

In other words, if was the first champcar unicorn.  Now the field has essentially caught up so nobody bitches anymore.

 

Troy built a great car within the rules and everybody was pissed.

 

It's still fast and capable of winning, just everybody else caught up due, partially, to the scrutiny that troy faced(s).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Infamous...

 

Basically a few things...  in the middle ages of champcar, it was an overdog but fragile.  It either had fast lap and podiumed or broke (usually hubs or trans).

 

It has had the vpi stated that it would be raised, then when the rules came out officially it wasnt.

 

In other words, if was the first champcar unicorn.  Now the field has essentially caught up so nobody bitches anymore.

 

Troy built a great car within the rules and everybody was pissed.

 

It's still fast and capable of winning, just everybody else caught up due, partially, to the scrutiny that troy faced(s).

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. We were one of the first to play strategies (mopar4life also) and pit one more time than the rest, but pit under pace car and yellows when others thought 2hours was a must. Some still do and I giggle at that. We have about 10 wins based on that strategy alone.

 

We have broken a bunch, but it was axles for 2 years until I figured it out and then hubs until I started to change them every other race.  Trans is also and issue as the weak link, but heal toe has solved that also. I would never recommend the car to anyone as it wants to kill you to go fast and fragile. There are so many better cars out there now.

 

We had 3 top 5 finishes last year, but have not won in like 2+years. Most have caught up and a lot or faster with larger gas tanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Cam Benty said:

  You need to run for office. That was quite Politically Correct. Basically Troy got an ugly, undeserved beat down. For nothing more than building a good car and racing hard. The mob has not changed. Just who and what car is now Privileged to receive their kind words.  😏

I got beat up, but some was my own fault as I would let others egg me on into combative conversations of me trying to defend myself. I took 1-2 years off from the forum and do not let those tings bug me anymore.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Infamous...

 

Basically a few things...  in the middle ages of champcar, it was an overdog but fragile.  It either had fast lap and podiumed or broke (usually hubs or trans).

 

It has had the vpi stated that it would be raised, then when the rules came out officially it wasnt.

 

In other words, if was the first champcar unicorn.  Now the field has essentially caught up so nobody bitches anymore.

 

Troy built a great car within the rules and everybody was pissed.

 

It's still fast and capable of winning, just everybody else caught up due, partially, to the scrutiny that troy faced(s).

My recollection is the biggest issue was that the VPI was dropped substantially so the car could get swapped. As in, it was dropped by 50%. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...