2020 Bell Racing Sebring 14 - Official Results, Pictures, Videos

FORD BEATS PORSCHE!
sebring-bell-winner.jpg

Congrats to MK Motorsports and their win at Sebring! 
They took their green 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra to the front of the pack to beat the 2nd and 3rd place Sahlen's Porsche Boxsters.

They also won four $750 certificates to purchase new Bell Helmets from Bell Racing

Sebring-Bell-2-3.jpg

Sahlen's took home 4x $400 and 4x $100 Bell Racing certificates for finishing 2nd and 3rd overall.

FloridaChamps.jpg

Crowd Control Racing held off Level One Racing to take the Florida Mini-Championship win for 2020. Over four races, Daytona 14-Hour, Palm Beach 8+7-Hours, and Sebring 14-Hour, Crowd Control had the best finished. Level One had to finish 2nd to claim the trophy prize, but managed a 5th place putting them into a respectable 2nd place finish in the mini-championship. 

Official Results
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1824944

ChampCar.Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW9ga3RYMPI

Images - coming soon

• Like 7

Been waiting for this thread to pop up!

Congrats to all the winners, it was a very slippery race!

This was our best race ever!  Easily.  All the work we put into the car since Daytona has paid off beyond our wildest dreams.  One of our drivers gained an unbelievable 9 seconds over last Sebring, with two others gaining five and seven seconds each.  I got zero even sorta dry laps, and was only able to lose 3 seconds over my best time last year.  My team is going to rub that in for a long time coming - it's the first time since we started racing that I didn't set the fast lap!

Anyone who's raced against us in the past probably recognized that the Infinite Loop Racing Contour was a different car this year.  Sticky tires, new chassis wiring, and a new ECU really woke it up.  This year, we regularly won drag races against e30s.  For the first time ever, we had to work our way through traffic, rather than let traffic work their way through us.  We actually felt like we were racing!

We had a couple issues along the way.  Our lift pump died wednesday afternoon, so I put our backup in.  It died first stint saturday morning, and took 25 minutes to get towed back to pits.  I'd already installed a new carter as backup, so we swapped hoses and plugs and sent the car back out.

Third stint in, our shifter cables popped off, of course in neutral.  Literally took 30 minutes to tow the car in and 3 seconds to reconnect the cables.  That was an extremely frustrating wait.

We had some minor issues with our valve cover vents - the cams were spraying oil out the filters.  We eventually just added an oil catch can back in and no more oil issues.

CVs held together fine (finally!) and the car just ran great the rest of the time.

A few other things:

• @tlmusa who was driving the M3 during the worst of the afternoon rain?  I followed y'all for about 30 minutes, even managed to sneak by once, but got passed again soon after.  I was having a blast trying to get by your driver!  I'm sure he wasn't thrilled to have a contour filling his rearview mirror for so long!  I kept trying to force him into a big error so I could sneak by, but he kept his cool the whole time.
  • @Team Infiniti what happened to the shark car?  Also saw sharky2 in a tire wall, hope the damage wasn't too bad.  I only saw you for a couple seconds, Ed, sorry for not stopping by for a chat!
  • @Burningham didn't get a chance to stop by and say hello after all, but saw you on track!  Looks like you finished well, congrats!
  • @MoparBoyy I think the contour might be able to edge the 626 out in lap times, finally!  Can't wait to get some serious dry laps done so we can see how much of an improvement we've got.  If my normal speed margin over my team holds out, I should be in the 2:45-2:46 range.  The battle of the family cars continues!
  • @KrakenRacing I had fun running from whoever your last driver was.  The would gain on me through the infield only to have me open the gap a little on each straight.  They kept the pressure on the whole time, it was fun!
  • Apologies to anyone who had to dodge us the couple times we spun out there!  We don't have the video up yet but we'll share it once it is.  Thanks for not hitting us!  If you have video, we've love to have it so we can rib our two donut makers for it!

If anyone is interested, here's a few links to our videos:

My whole first stint - starts with rain, then just gets worse.  Links to notable events in the video description:

Our fastest lap of the day, done by Ray:

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 8

What a race. Sebring last year ended before it started for us with a seized con rod during Friday practice. Nearly 12 months later we returned with new and tested engine, thanks @Huggy. New group of drivers and crew, except me, as well. I got a dozen laps on Friday to get an idea of the track layout. Race started with us forgetting to secure the window net, so we started nearly last. After that we started to settle in for a long race. First two drivers got all the dry stints and as soon as I got in the car the rain started. If I was holding anyone up or got in your way I’m sorry and it wasn’t intentional. The rain at times caused a complete grey out. Spray from other cars would blind you. Track would dry a bit then rain again, practice laps were not as helpful once it rained. We kept going and avoided any big offs or mechanical issues. My second stint was rain again and it was dark of course. Wipers quit early on too. Everyone on our little team did a great job and we were running at the finish and made it into the top 20 an amazing result for our team. 3 drivers and 2 crew members average age probably close to 60.  Thanks to all corner workers and Champcar staff who braved the elements and kept us safe and running. 

• Like 9

Our first race in Champcar.  Car 248, Mazda RX8. Bought the car 2 months ago, and spent the time getting it race ready, safety wise.  Total performance improvements involved getting a better air filter.  We were slow as one would expect of a strictly stock vehicle with street tires, especially in the wet.  We learned a great deal about ourselves, the car, the series and Sebring itself.  Now we can make improvements to the brakes, power, suspension, and get ready for VIR.  Thanks to the Champcar organization and workers for their totally professional support.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

@Team Infiniti what happened to the shark car?  Also saw sharky2 in a tire wall, hope the damage wasn't too bad.  I only saw you for a couple seconds, Ed, sorry for not stopping by for a chat!

Congrats on picking up speed and reliability!

Shark #1 was sidelined by immigration, yes, ICE !

Our international driver had to skip PBIR as he caught covid 2 days before, we raced anyway, underfunded and with 2 drivers, unfortunately that set in motion a set of events where the same driver forgot to renew his recently expired 10 year visa...

He was accidentally allowed on the first plane but got called out @ a layover in Texas, not only did the first airline get in trouble, but I did not get final word about his fate till 5pm Friday, that he and his minor son were being deported (no slack given, he has been in good standing for 60 years as a model, funded, International traveler).

Simply not enough time to find the special, replacement that could podium that car with the other 2 of us, sure there were folks that could drive well OR those with funds, but none available on short notice with both. Rain aside, it would have been a great day to race and win some bell helmet $$. The stars simply were not in alignment, car, fully prepped stayed parked.  

To get my fix of V8 RWD  I was able to pick up the odd stint in the #84 Speedway Creations Firebird Thank You Justin 9!

Shark2/Baby Shark did sustain mildly severe concrete poisoning around dusk, a self inflicted, one car incident, its repairable but hurt, we started triage, got the frame somewhat straightened using the tow truck and chains but the rain started and sun dropped out of sight, it drove itself onto the trailer and we called it ... if it happened earlier in the day we would have picked up the pieces.

Daytona will be the next outing for Baby shark, Big shark will likely get a car cover till Rd. ATL in Feb.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Wow, Ed, that's insane.  Sorry to hear all that, definitely a lack of star alignment for you and particularly your driver.  That sucks.  Looking forward to seeing you at Daytona next year!  Glad you at least got some seat time in!

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, krispykritter said:
  • Apologies to anyone who had to dodge us the couple times we spun out there!  We don't have the video up yet but we'll share it once it is.  Thanks for not hitting us!  If you have video, we've love to have it so we can rib our two donut makers for it!

I think my camera had died when it happen, but I think your car had a lazy spin right in front of me in the middle of 16/17 sometime around 3pm hour.  It was like the slowest spin ever in the fastest part of that track...   

Edited by Justin9
  • Haha 1

Mean Green Swine continuing to get better with each race. We had the Daytona 10th place finish (but an engine that was already iffy and low on compression), the Indy 13th place finish (with the great new engine we built after Daytona, but lost the clutch and transmission) and now a 12th at Sebring (5th in class and the second-highest BMW finish behind Gorilla Sticker). So we are very pleased with the development of the car and, while we are seeing a lot of E36 teams going EC, that's not the direction we want to take it. So Mean Green's 2020 debut season was pretty successful for a $700 car that we rescued from a field in Cullman, AL a little more than a year ago. We feel like we've brought it a long way in a very short time. 

We definitely got our broadcast live feed setup well-sorted out after years of experimentation. Happy to see we lasted the YouTube 12-hr limit without a hitch. Now I need to get 2-3 more cameras set up to get rear and passenger side coverage a la Visceral. 

This was also the first race in a LOOOOOONG time where we came out of it without any major work needed (ZERO contact, zero mechanical). Our strategy was to stay clean and, when the rain came, keep it 7/10s and let attrition do it's thing - which worked out pretty well given that we were in the high 20s position-wise when the rain started to fall in earnest. 

Sebring is my favorite track. And it was great to share it with my son who crewed for us this year. He served double duty helping out BurningHam as well. He's going into Mechanical Engineering, so this is about as good a hands-on experience as it gets. I usually have the 12-hr on the TV in the garage while I'm working on my E30. This year we will be prepping his E46 for his first DE during the broadcast. Gotta pass some of the sickness on to the next generation!

Kinda sad to see the season come to a close for us. We are passing on Barber - just tired of being cold and wet (and we haven't finished the Sunday race in 5 tries because, with it being our home track, we keep making questionable decisions and blowing things up). But already looking forward to Road Atlanta next season (hopefully not cold and wet).  

IMG_3798 2 copy.jpg

IMG_3778 copy.jpg

Edited by RocketHamRacing
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

I think my camera had died when it happen, but I think your car had a lazy spin right in front of me in the middle of 16/17 sometime around 3pm hour.  It was like the slowest spin ever in the fastest part of that track...   

Haha that may well have been Sean's spin in the wet.  He kinda lost the back end in the transition from 15 to 16 and did a donut.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, krispykritter said:

• @MoparBoyy I think the contour might be able to edge the 626 out in lap times, finally!  Can't wait to get some serious dry laps done so we can see how much of an improvement we've got.  If my normal speed margin over my team holds out, I should be in the 2:45-2:46 range.  The battle of the family cars continues!

guess its time i start upgrading the mazda!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Haha that may well have been Sean's spin in the wet.  He kinda lost the back end in the transition from 15 to 16 and did a donut.

I’m quite sure I have this on video. Looks like you guys had a bit more power than we did this race and a lot more wet tire grip. Only took a couple laps to pass me back in that afternoon session.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Congrats on picking up speed and reliability!

Shark #1 was sidelined by immigration, yes, ICE !

Our international driver had to skip PBIR as he caught covid 2 days before, we raced anyway, underfunded and with 2 drivers, unfortunately that set in motion a set of events where the same driver forgot to renew his recently expired 10 year visa...

He was accidentally allowed on the first plane but got called out @ a layover in Texas, not only did the first airline get in trouble, but I did not get final word about his fate till 5pm Friday, that he and his minor son were being deported (no slack given, he has been in good standing for 60 years as a model, funded, International traveler).

Simply not enough time to find the special, replacement that could podium that car with the other 2 of us, sure there were folks that could drive well OR those with funds, but none available on short notice with both. Rain aside, it would have been a great day to race and win some bell helmet $$. The stars simply were not in alignment, car, fully prepped stayed parked.  

To get my fix of V8 RWD  I was able to pick up the odd stint in the #84 Speedway Creations Firebird Thank You Justin 9!

Shark2/Baby Shark did sustain mildly severe concrete poisoning around dusk, a self inflicted, one car incident, its repairable but hurt, we started triage, got the frame somewhat straightened using the tow truck and chains but the rain started and sun dropped out of sight, it drove itself onto the trailer and we called it ... if it happened earlier in the day we would have picked up the pieces.

Daytona will be the next outing for Baby shark, Big shark will likely get a car cover till Rd. ATL in Feb.

Solid platform Sharky2... I enjoyed it ..

Sebring in a torrential downpour is a hoot.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

I’m quite sure I have this on video. Looks like you guys had a bit more power than we did this race and a lot more wet tire grip. Only took a couple laps to pass me back in that afternoon session.

Tell you what, jon - Microsquirt made a huge difference in our power.  We removed the secondary butterflies in the intake manifold and put the car on the dyno at Garcia Automotive up here in melbourne for $60 an hour and tuned it ourselves.  Only gained 11 horsepower peak but the torque curve is completely flat now.  It's hard to tell the difference on the dyno but on the track it was night and day.  We also ran Falken Azenis tires for the first time, and they did very well in the wet and even better in the dry.

Edit:  Kris' Night Run, 930-11 pm.  Still adding links in description to anything interesting.

Edited by krispykritter
Adding video
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, Atlas Welding said:

Our first race in Champcar.  Car 248, Mazda RX8. We learned a great deal about ourselves, the car, the series and Sebring itself.   Thanks to the Champcar organization and workers for their totally professional support.

Car is almost too nice to be in Champ, saw it several times during my stints.  Drivers did a good job given the speed differences etc.  Only thing I would suggest, make sure the drivers pay attention to the drivers meetings about speeds under yellow and catching up to the safety car/cars behind safety car.   On 2 separate occasions, a couple of us were behind 248 going extremely slow and not catching up to the safety car.   Given that the safety car was out for several laps on each occasion, we did eventually catch up to the line but for future reference it would be safer to go a bit faster and catch up to the safety car group.    

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Atlas Welding said:

Our first race in Champcar.  Car 248, Mazda RX8. Bought the car 2 months ago, and spent the time getting it race ready, safety wise.  Total performance improvements involved getting a better air filter.  We were slow as one would expect of a strictly stock vehicle with street tires, especially in the wet.  We learned a great deal about ourselves, the car, the series and Sebring itself.  Now we can make improvements to the brakes, power, suspension, and get ready for VIR.  Thanks to the Champcar organization and workers for their totally professional support.

Congrats on taking the plunge and welcome! Look forward to seeing you guys out there. 

Exhausting but great fun.   I drove 2 stints in the Money Pit Racing E30 #197.   I can't think of a track that is harder to drive in the rain than Sebring, especially when it dries then drizzles again so one never knows the grip level going into 7 especially without ABS.  Also found it eye opening at the significantly different levels of grip various cars had on the slippery track.   I think every Miata blew by me during the first few laps and once a line had dried, managed to easily catch and pass them back.    We will be using a different tire next time!    Had several fun battles on track and saw some great driving in the wet sections.   Unfortunately our car developed a electrical issue that required us to cycle power multiple times during a lap.  Imagine a few drivers wondered what I was doing making a pass at corner entry only to go slow on the straight and then doing it again a few corners later.    Also at night, we were not intentionally flashing our lights at anyone, just doing the power recycling nearly everywhere.    Major bummer as we managed a team best of a 2:37 and think we could have shaved a couple more seconds off that time.  

Also got a good laugh as I ran out of gas around turn 15 and waved one of the mustangs by only to see them run out of gas too on the back straight.  It was like we were having a race at 30mph trying to point each other by.   And I think we both completely stalled at pit in and had to be towed/pushed to the pit stalls.  

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

This stands out for some reason, I may have been nearby and having a lil fun with this car around noonish/1 something in the black/yellow #84 firebird

that would have been our 2nd driver, Jim, will have to check out his footage and see what hilarity might have been happening, lol.   Turns 7 and 10 were the ones that made me exercise cation and those are usually the two corners where I usually late brake/pass.  Braking was so sketchy in our car that I braked early and made sure I had a escape route to avoid collecting someone in those two corners.   Seemed most had more issues in 3 and I found that one to be ok.    

3 minutes ago, 95m3ltw said:

that would have been our 2nd driver, Jim, will have to check out his footage and see what hilarity might have been happening, lol.   Turns 7 and 10 were the ones that made me exercise cation and those are usually the two corners where I usually late brake/pass.  Braking was so sketchy in our car that I braked early and made sure I had a escape route to avoid collecting someone in those two corners.   Seemed most had more issues in 3 and I found that one to be ok.    

I 100% agree with this.  7 and 10 were hairy every time - lots of brake pumping and steering twitching to find just enough traction to stay on track.  Turn 3 was fine for us but I saw several people slide right off, and one miata pull a complete 180 there.

Then again, I saw several folks straight line it in 7 and 10 too.

Burningham had the Sebring race circled all year since one of our guys had never been there. We like to do one bucket list track a year that all have not been to. Sebring has an unexplainable appeal and it did not disappoint again for me. Plus this was our first time in a while to go head to head with our buddy @Hurljohn in his rival Lexus. 

Well, it’s always something, so this one started out with one of the guys finding out the night we were to leave he would be under quarantine due to COVID. Thanks China. So C. Preston and I decide we can do this with just two of us.  We figure we can use one of John’s drivers for a stint to meet the minimum driver requirements and get help from one of the @RocketHamRacing entourage to help with fueling and if they are busy we’ll just do it ourselves. If you have the system down it’s not too bad with 2. 

Well Chris starts, lays down some good laps considering he had never been there, I go next, then Chris again. In the meantime John has engine trouble so we borrow @Huggy for a stint in the rain. Of course he is a flyer during his stint, then John helps us out with a stint, then Chris and I finish it up. We didn’t have the pace of the mustang or either of the two hotdog cars so we ended up in a battle with Mark’s level one Miata for 4th place. We lost a ground wire on the lights at the end of the next to last stint, after getting it repaired I went out. Mark said they were having clutch issues so we were cruising to finish ahead of them for 4th when the lead mustang passed me and I decided it would be fun to hang with him in the wet. I was doing ok for 6 or 8 laps when I lost it coming out of tower and hit the armco. Luckily the radiator stayed intact and I was able to finish the three remaining laps and stay in P4. 

Once again thanks to @Hurljohn and @Huggy and @RocketHamRacing for help in the pits and driving. We could have done it without you, but not easily by a long shot. Good to see all the folks there, too many to call out.  Thanks to the Champcar staff for working all day in the rain. 

On to Barber (once we get the car damages fixed). 

• Like 6
  • Bill Strong changed the title to 2020 Bell Racing Sebring 14 - Official Results, Pictures, Videos

First oops video - Bob is having too much fun passing cars and overcooks it into turn 17.  Thanks all for avoiding us!

Second oops video - Sean gets a little unstable between 15 and 16 and does a 270.  @BeastZ06 @NGO28 the neon was first car passed us after the spin!

Edited by krispykritter

The Level One Racing Miata headed to Sebring coming off the high of our first win at PBIR, with the energy to continue the performance. Our streak of failures and catastrophic contact appeared behind us and the team was excited to get to our home track.

We had a guest driver for this event, Eb Vasquez, from TEK Motorsports, sitting in for Nick Soriano. Nick would be playing fuel/crew man for the day.

We drew a decent starting position and rolled off 17th. John (as seen on TV) Wilding would start with the hope he could get us to the front. He quickly got us in the top 10 and eventually, the top five. The car was running beautifully and John brought it in for the first pitstop sitting in 4th place.

I got in next and had a great battle with Rodger from Burningham for several laps until I was able to get by him in T1, make it stick in T3 and slightly gap him. After a full course caution and a crazy restart, Rodger got by me in T17. A lap later there was a big crash at the bridge before T7 and I radioed the crew I would be pitting early.

Eb gets in and is having a great stint in a car he had never driven, until that moment...and then the rains came. I'm the old, slow, smart one on the team and it was at that point I took myself out of the driver line-up. I would be fuel man for the rest of the pitstops.

John (#thepeopleschamp) Davison gets in next and does a masterful job of driving in the mixed conditions. John pits the car in 4th and Eb gets back in. 

Its now dark and wet. Eb continues to maintain 4th position. The top three cars are several laps up and without any of them having difficulty, it was looking like we were headed for a solid fourth. At that point Burningham was in 5th but with two pitstops to go and conditions all over the place, anything could happen...and did!

Eb enters pit in and the clutch (hydraulics) fails. We push him to our stall (thankfully #4) and service the car. JD gets back in and we push him off, hoping he can get the car out of pit exit and into 4th gear. He did just that and proceeded to slide around, in the dark, in the wet, using only 4th gear, maintaining fourth overall.

One last stop to go and JW gets back in. He has trouble at pit out, gets going, but then pulls off at the exit of T1. He ultimately gets the car going, but by then, Burningham had passed us for 4th.

In the end, we finished 5th overall and won the class by 11 laps! Congratulations to MK Motorsports for what I expect is their greatest win in that Mustang. Anybody that knows that team and their driver lineup is not surprised by their accomplishment. 

Thank you to the ChampCar staff. Always impressed with the show you run.

Thanks to Jeff and Corey at Autotechnik for the strong powerplant that has now helped us get four of those awesome trophies in three consecutive races.

Thanks to Greg, the team founder, for your continued support. Of course, Paul, Nick, JW, JD and now EB, none of this was possible without all of you.  Cindy and Rick, great having you there. Thanks for keeping me hydrated. 

This was my son's second ChampCar event where he was part of the crew. Now, in just a few hours, we are headed back to Sebring where we are Corner Marshalls for the IMSA weekend. This will be my 41st consecutive year of attendance. Hopefully it is a tradition he will carry on.

Here are some videos to waste time with: 

20201108_092715.jpg

20201107_232247.jpg

Edited by Mazmarc
  • Like 11

Typical Sebring rainy mess. At least we didn't lose our car this time. Horrible passing under yellow. Worst I've seen in my 7 years in Champcar. Green Miata with fancy front splitter held on with rivots passed me two different times under cautions. We were pitted across from Pit In and only saw one or two cars in penalty all day. Hilarious watching Sahlens cars going by me while I am ticking off my 10 penalty laps. Think I'm going back to EC.

I got passed by either both boxters or one of them got me twice under yellow.

Best one was 3 cars that went by me under the S/F stand (second station I saw the yellow at) while I had my hand out the window.  

Now for something humbling - grid for the IMSA race was showing lap times in the 1:50 range.  That's 40 seconds faster than the FTD for champcar.

2 hours ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Typical Sebring rainy mess. At least we didn't lose our car this time. Horrible passing under yellow. Worst I've seen in my 7 years in Champcar. Green Miata with fancy front splitter held on with rivots passed me two different times under cautions. We were pitted across from Pit In and only saw one or two cars in penalty all day. Hilarious watching Sahlens cars going by me while I am ticking off my 10 penalty laps. Think I'm going back to EC.

Curious, how many corner stations were “manned”?  Just one person per station?