Questions to all BOD nominees

I have questions for all the nominees. 

Questions:

How will you help members keep Champcar series the cheapest endurance racing club.

How can we keep the teams with lots of cash from taking control of the series.

There car entries are testing the rules. 

I really like running with guys who are like myself and run based on the rules and statement of "ChampCar is North America’s home for real, affordable, competitive endurance road racing"

Maybe this new Topic is a better place for my questions without sending the same question to each of the BOD nominees. The shotgun approach. 

Great questions.

After all these years racing racers will spend money if they feel they can get a good advantage from it if they can afford it. I see it now as the haves and have nots and only 2 years ago it was not like that. Sure, some lower budget teams can win, but that is not the norm anymore. There are two main factors of cost increase that I see as a team owner on a lower budget now is tires and the newer built cars, like Porsche Boxsters and such. (I spent all my bonus money from my old job to build my car, but I do not have that job anymore so I am on a crazy low budget) I think we need to put some rules forth on tires to limit the advantage. Though I have been saying this for a while I have come to the conclusion nothing will be done with the current thinking. Members push back to keep their advantage and the BOD have said no, multiple times and mutliple ways, that tires are a zero point and zero penalty item so teams that can spend away on them to gain the advantage. Some put forth a no change tire idea, but that does not really fix the problem and only puts a band aide on it and it will still bleed out. I think a penalty lap system for a list of faster tires can help a lot to keep the slower tires in the hunt when possible. On the new cars I think they should be let in, but we really need to be careful with the VPI amounts so they do not just run away with wins.

I am on an island here though as there is so much pushback on tires that nothing is going to change. I think we need to keep track of each team that goes to impound next year and keep track of what tires they ran. Then we can look at the database and see what really happens and at what tracks. I personally think we will see the top teams with money running the higher end tires and doing very well with them on most tracks.

I do think it is fine to blow tons of money on tires and do well on them, there just should be some type of penalty to do so to keep lower budget teams in the running. We at Champcar claim to be the affordable, easy to enter option of racing and AER and WRL are know for their high money teams, yet they have rules on tires and we do not. That just does not make sense. LuckyDog has a spec tire, I do not see that going on here, and have tire rules. Why, us as the affordable racing series, have zero rules on it and refuse to address the issue from the BOD, TAC and TECH. I just do not get it. I myself have the debate to go with the faster tires and race less times due to budget or use the slower tires and race more, but with less of a chance of doing well. I want to do well though so it is a debate we are having as a team. I can see myself doing less races as we want to do well so Champcar is going to lose team entry revenue on me due to no tire rules. I do wonder how many others have to make the same decisions.

I also think we need to enforce the rules evenly to all teams, rich and poor. I see this greatly improving in the future now though as we have a tech change and president change. With GBU and their special strut brace allowance just for them showing just how some teams can do this and others can not. When I saw it I thought, OK, that is a massive loophole for now so how can I exploit that also since they are only taking 10 points on it. I drew up what I wanted to do it with my car in the rear and was told it would be 30 points because I have two attachments points to the frame in the rear of the axle line. I was thinking it has less attachment points than GBU, but I would be assigned 30 points vs their 10. The difference in points from one team to other has to stop. I put a tech desk ticket in asking 10 questions about a strut tower brace so I could work within those parameters, but nothing was answered and the silence was the answer.

I do think we might need to take away the affordable word in the mission type of statement if we let teams use up 8 or more tires a weekend with you penalty. Teams showing up with tractor trailer rigs, racks and racks of tires, 20 crew members, ect. That perception of money spent to win is real now in the series.

I also think most, it not almost all, of the votes are in now so this is a good discussion to have with the future BOD members. This way we can get their views on it and when it comes time for action we can look back and say, you said you felt this way, what changed your mind and why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. There will always be teams with more money. The thing that needs to stop is free parts. Initially in ChampCar if it wasn't a stock or stock replacement part you were charged points. Too many items over the past couple seasons have became free. If I can bolt on a lighter and better alternator & starter I'll do so. Then still spend on the other parts I need to improve the car. In 2017 we finished second at the Autobahn with a TCV value of 385 what's changed since then the addition of free parts. Not sure where in the chain of command these parts became free but it has to stop.

As for tires I think it's tough to bolt on a wider tire & immediately pick up 8 seconds a lap there is more to it than that suspension settings driver lineup etc. The tires on the corvette shouldn't be on there simply because the body they used should not be in ChampCar. I do agree we should start a spread sheet on what tire brand & size teams are using. If one becomes dominate then lets look at adding points to them.

2. No team big or small should be able to take over ChampCar. It should be run by the membership with them suggesting the rules & the BoD rightfully voting them in once the pros & cons are sorted out. When rules are put in place it needs to weigh what the costs will be for a team that will use it for an advantage and also how it would affect a team that cannot afford it. As an example areo can get a little pricey yet it is very few points. 

3. There are cars testing the rules & there always will be. That's why the rules need to be enforced to everyone equally. No favorites and no allowing a car to compete that is outside the rules certainly not for more that one race. I agree with you on running with fellow teams that have built a car to the rules & keep the spirit of what ChampCar is alive. 

I think all of us that are running for the Board this year have similar ideas on how to right the ship so to speak. Who ever makes it to the BoD needs to make sure they stick to their ideas presented now and follow them out. I know I will. Thanks for the questions Bernie Myers

Edited by hotrod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Question for all BOD nominees: 

If a car in the future shows up to a race failing to meet not only the spirit and intent of the rules would you expect the event director to transfer the car to EC mid race, or disqualify the car post race?

Let's use GBU at Indy for an example. Although not the cars first race, it shows up and is as far outside the spirit and intent of the rules as just about possible. It then makes a mockery of all car on the track. Would want the car moved to EC during the race?

If the car is not moved to EC during the race, would you disqualify the team in post race impound? The car had unclaimed material, had used absurd "loopholes", did not claim all of its fixed value parts, etc. 

These are the rules that could be invoked. 

1.3.8. Disqualification from Race: If you have hidden, or concealed anything on your car that is illegal in anyway, OR violated ChampCar’s rules, OR failed to meet the spirit and/ or intent of ChampCar’s rules, or you have seriously and repeatedly violated the event’s driving safety rules, your car may be disqualified from the event. The act of disqualifying any car may occur at any time. Notification shall be issued by a ChampCar official to the Team Manager (or another representative).

2.1.5. The Event Director reserves the right to transfer ANY competition vehicle from the 500 point ChampCar classes to the Exception Class (EC) at ANY time. This rule shall only be invoked under extraordinary circumstances.

27 minutes ago, hotrod said:

1. There will always be teams with more money. The thing that needs to stop is free parts. Initially in ChampCar if it wasn't a stock or stock replacement part you were charged points. Too many items over the past couple seasons have became free. If I can bolt on a lighter and better alternator & starter I'll do so. Then still spend on the other parts I need to improve the car. In 2017 we finished second at the Autobahn with a TCV value of 385 what's changed since then the addition of free parts. Not sure where in the chain of command these parts became free but it has to stop.

As for tires I think it's tough to bolt on a wider tire & immediately pick up 8 seconds a lap there is more to it than that suspension settings driver lineup etc. The tires on the corvette shouldn't be on there simply because the body they used should not be in ChampCar. I do agree we should start a spread sheet on what tire brand & size teams are using. If one becomes dominate then lets look at adding points to them.

2. No team big or small should be able to take over ChampCar. It should be run by the membership with them suggesting the rules & the BoD rightfully voting them in once the pros & cons are sorted out. When rules are put in place it needs to weigh what the costs will be for a team that will use it for an advantage and also how it would affect a team that cannot afford it. As an example areo can get a little pricey yet it is very few points. 

3. There are cars testing the rules & there always will be. That's why the rules need to be enforced to everyone equally. No favorites and no allowing a car to compete that is outside the rules certainly not for more that one race. I agree with you on running with fellow teams that have built a car to the rules & keep the spirit of what ChampCar is alive. 

I think all of us that are running for the Board this year have similar ideas on how to right the ship so to speak. Who ever makes it to the BoD needs to make sure they stick to their ideas presented now and follow them out. I know I will. Thanks for the questions Bernie Myers

Bernie.  I have heard you say no more free parts a lot now and I would like to know, specifically, what that means to you. I feel it is a catchy statement, like when Obama said we need Change, but never said how, what, where, or gave any real details. I see free racing alternator and starters added to the list of free items so I get that. I also think those should be points. What are you thoughts on the other free items. What do you propose we actually do as saying no more free parts, what does that really mean to you? BTW- I am not attacking you, just trying to find out where you really stand on things.

So what do you propose as a tire usage solution? What would you find acceptable and not? I guess I want details and feel that I am the only one who has tried to come up with ideas and put a line in the sand and almost everyone else is scared to even put their foot in the sand at all. Do you have specific ideas on what should be done or is your stance that the tire rule is fine and spending on tires is OK?

I also think we can all see who will get on the BOD at this point and I also hope they will steer the ship in the right direction. 

red0,

I wasn't at Indy but saw the car at Road America. That car should of been moved to EC right from the start no need to wait till the race started.  I've heard that the shop was visited by a couple ChampCar officials for a look at the car for approval. Not sure how the car was allowed to run in a class and not looking to blame anyone just need to make sure the same thing never plays out again.

If a car did not claim all the items that were on the car and not charged with the points then yes the car should be disqualified. Was the Vette protested at Indy? If not then we should look into changing the necessary wording so ChampCar Tech can make the appropriate call. Now it's "Self Policing" Maybe it's become a time to change that. We still need the members bringing up questionable items simply because with all the different makes & models it's impossible for any one person to know about them all. 

The rule book clearly states what the "Intent" of the series is. But there are those that push the limit & there always will be. This needs to be policed better. NASCAR's "Action detrimental to Stock Car Racing" pretty much covers it all.

Thanks for the questions, Bernie Myers

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hotrod said:

red0,

I wasn't at Indy but saw the car at Road America. That car should of been moved to EC right from the start no need to wait till the race started.  I've heard that the shop was visited by a couple ChampCar officials for a look at the car for approval. Not sure how the car was allowed to run in a class and not looking to blame anyone just need to make sure the same thing never plays out again.

If a car did not claim all the items that were on the car and not charged with the points then yes the car should be disqualified. Was the Vette protested at Indy? If not then we should look into changing the necessary wording so ChampCar Tech can make the appropriate call. Now it's "Self Policing" Maybe it's become a time to change that. We still need the members bringing up questionable items simply because with all the different makes & models it's impossible for any one person to know about them all. 

The rule book clearly states what the "Intent" of the series is. But there are those that push the limit & there always will be. This needs to be policed better. NASCAR's "Action detrimental to Stock Car Racing" pretty much covers it all.

Thanks for the questions, Bernie Myers

Thank you for the response. 

35 minutes ago, red0 said:

Question for all BOD nominees: 

If a car in the future shows up to a race failing to meet not only the spirit and intent of the rules would you expect the event director to transfer the car to EC mid race, or disqualify the car post race?

Let's use GBU at Indy for an example. Although not the cars first race, it shows up and is as far outside the spirit and intent of the rules as just about possible. It then makes a mockery of all car on the track. Would want the car moved to EC during the race?

If the car is not moved to EC during the race, would you disqualify the team in post race impound? The car had unclaimed material, had used absurd "loopholes", did not claim all of its fixed value parts, etc. 

These are the rules that could be invoked. 

1.3.8. Disqualification from Race: If you have hidden, or concealed anything on your car that is illegal in anyway, OR violated ChampCar’s rules, OR failed to meet the spirit and/ or intent of ChampCar’s rules, or you have seriously and repeatedly violated the event’s driving safety rules, your car may be disqualified from the event. The act of disqualifying any car may occur at any time. Notification shall be issued by a ChampCar official to the Team Manager (or another representative).

2.1.5. The Event Director reserves the right to transfer ANY competition vehicle from the 500 point ChampCar classes to the Exception Class (EC) at ANY time. This rule shall only be invoked under extraordinary circumstances.

That is a great question and one I ask myself. I have a new build I am pondering and ponder if it is in the spirit of the Champcar rules. It would be made by me, in my garage, with hand tools and my own skills. It will optimize the hp, weight, fuel tank size, brakes and aero. It will use all the rules to the advantage of the car for sure. It would be right in the 500 point range. It should be crazy fast, not as fast as GBU, but close and be able to go 2 hours on fuel. I would repurpose a lot of materials and take advantage of free items on the rules. In saying all that if someone showed up with a car just like this and I knew they built it in their own garage and took the time I would shake his hand and tip my hat to him. In my mind his creativity and use of rules would be understand from my car builder perspective. Now, on that same note if the car did that well and dominated by that much what would it do the series? If it was to the letter of the rules and everything accounted for them they are legal and good. I still debate if I should build it. The few who know about the idea, very tiny list, say that it is within the rules, but it will be banned in less than a year or some rules will be put forth to make it EC as it will be fast. I do not want to build a car for a few races and want to build one to race for years.

To me the big difference I see is that did a guy build it himself with time and love or did a guy with money buy it? Both are to the rules and both are built and fast. I just have trouble with the person who paid a shop and people to build him a car for Champcar versus the guy who put his own blood, sweat and tears into a build.

How do we define the spirit and intent of the rules? Where is the line drawn? The GBU car should have been dealt with a long time ago. They asked question as to what they could do and not do and then built the car. They should not have been said, sure, do XYZ. The issue was the liberal use of the rules there. The front strut tower bar should never have been said ok. The rear IRS should have never had that low of points. There was failure in those situations ahead of time. Their first race, maybe Daytona, the speed differential was just far out of what it should be and should have been dealt with then. The ED, CEO or BOD should have met with the team and said, look, you might be by the rules, but are far to fast for the series and are a long term detriment to the series and we need to work together on this.

Do I think GBU, as it stands, is in the spirit of the rules. No, I do not on a few levels. The hp they make is to crazy high and top speed differential is not safe, the tires they use are absurdly costly, they have a professional team paid to design, build and develop the car. To me that is not the spirit of Champcar, or I should say has not been in the past. The more I write this out and ponder it the more I think the GBU is not in the spirit of Champcar.

As fast as DQ a car in impound. I see that as two levels. Did a team not know a rule and not intentionally try to cheat.  Example, a team is at 488 points and missed putting the square box metal they used to brace something and it would be 3 points. We know they have the points to do it and it really did not affect the outcome. I would think we add those to the logbook and it is fine. On that same note if a team is at 499 points, but did not claim the header and covered it up with heat shielding to hide it then they should be a DQ as they knew what they were doing and intended to cheat. Fix it or EC for the next race, if a double.

Troy,

I know your not attacking.

I just think that no part should be "Free" every non stock item has a value. The rule book states what points are charged per item. But why are some free? In the case of the alt & starter this wouldn't affect many new cars because the starters are mostly light weight and work well same with the alternator. But in the cars of the corvette because of the age of the engine they were able to save 15 pounds by switching to a mini starter and a few pounds by using a smaller alt. Also used aluminum brackets for the alt. How did this suddenly become free? Again this change wouldn't help many new cars but why was it allowed for an older one?

I think at one time hubs were free (could be wrong) & now they are 2.5 points per side. Sure it can be seen as a durability item but also some teams would then add a wider tire to help performance so now it's a performance item. Still worth 2.5 points? 

Areo can be expensive yet it is few points charged for a pretty big change in performance. Something that separates the high dollar teams to the have nots. 

4.4.2. There is NO SUCH THING as a free part, every part of a vehicle has a value. Parts not covered elsewhere in the rules will be assigned a point value by ChampCar Tech. 

In the 2020 rule bookthere is 13 "Free & 2X" items. Proposed for the 2021 Rule book there is 24.

Even if it's minimal point value I think think in the future point should be assessed and not free. It may be difficult to go back and  change the way things are now. 

As I've said on the  tires the corvette should of not been in a class but in EC the body used to cover the tires should not of been allowed to run in ChampCar but lets gather some data to see where the tire war goes. Something to look at for 2022.

23 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

That is a great question and one I ask myself. I have a new build I am pondering and ponder if it is in the spirit of the Champcar rules. It would be made by me, in my garage, with hand tools and my own skills. It will optimize the hp, weight, fuel tank size, brakes and aero. It will use all the rules to the advantage of the car for sure. It would be right in the 500 point range. It should be crazy fast, not as fast as GBU, but close and be able to go 2 hours on fuel. I would repurpose a lot of materials and take advantage of free items on the rules. In saying all that if someone showed up with a car just like this and I knew they built it in their own garage and took the time I would shake his hand and tip my hat to him. In my mind his creativity and use of rules would be understand from my car builder perspective. Now, on that same note if the car did that well and dominated by that much what would it do the series? If it was to the letter of the rules and everything accounted for them they are legal and good. I still debate if I should build it. The few who know about the idea, very tiny list, say that it is within the rules, but it will be banned in less than a year or some rules will be put forth to make it EC as it will be fast. I do not want to build a car for a few races and want to build one to race for years.

To me the big difference I see is that did a guy build it himself with time and love or did a guy with money buy it? Both are to the rules and both are built and fast. I just have trouble with the person who paid a shop and people to build him a car for Champcar versus the guy who put his own blood, sweat and tears into a build.

How do we define the spirit and intent of the rules? Where is the line drawn? The GBU car should have been dealt with a long time ago. They asked question as to what they could do and not do and then built the car. They should not have been said, sure, do XYZ. The issue was the liberal use of the rules there. The front strut tower bar should never have been said ok. The rear IRS should have never had that low of points. There was failure in those situations ahead of time. Their first race, maybe Daytona, the speed differential was just far out of what it should be and should have been dealt with then. The ED, CEO or BOD should have met with the team and said, look, you might be by the rules, but are far to fast for the series and are a long term detriment to the series and we need to work together on this.

Do I think GBU, as it stands, is in the spirit of the rules. No, I do not on a few levels. The hp they make is to crazy high and top speed differential is not safe, the tires they use are absurdly costly, they have a professional team paid to design, build and develop the car. To me that is not the spirit of Champcar, or I should say has not been in the past. The more I write this out and ponder it the more I think the GBU is not in the spirit of Champcar.

As fast as DQ a car in impound. I see that as two levels. Did a team not know a rule and not intentionally try to cheat.  Example, a team is at 488 points and missed putting the square box metal they used to brace something and it would be 3 points. We know they have the points to do it and it really did not affect the outcome. I would think we add those to the logbook and it is fine. On that same note if a team is at 499 points, but did not claim the header and covered it up with heat shielding to hide it then they should be a DQ as they knew what they were doing and intended to cheat. Fix it or EC for the next race, if a double.

Thanks for the response. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotrod said:

Troy,

I know your not attacking.

I just think that no part should be "Free" every non stock item has a value. The rule book states what points are charged per item. But why are some free? In the case of the alt & starter this wouldn't affect many new cars because the starters are mostly light weight and work well same with the alternator. But in the cars of the corvette because of the age of the engine they were able to save 15 pounds by switching to a mini starter and a few pounds by using a smaller alt. Also used aluminum brackets for the alt. How did this suddenly become free? Again this change wouldn't help many new cars but why was it allowed for an older one?

I think at one time hubs were free (could be wrong) & now they are 2.5 points per side. Sure it can be seen as a durability item but also some teams would then add a wider tire to help performance so now it's a performance item. Still worth 2.5 points? 

Areo can be expensive yet it is few points charged for a pretty big change in performance. Something that separates the high dollar teams to the have nots. 

4.4.2. There is NO SUCH THING as a free part, every part of a vehicle has a value. Parts not covered elsewhere in the rules will be assigned a point value by ChampCar Tech. 

In the 2020 rule bookthere is 13 "Free & 2X" items. Proposed for the 2021 Rule book there is 24.

Even if it's minimal point value I think think in the future point should be assessed and not free. It may be difficult to go back and  change the way things are now. 

As I've said on the  tires the corvette should of not been in a class but in EC the body used to cover the tires should not of been allowed to run in ChampCar but lets gather some data to see where the tire war goes. Something to look at for 2022.

I think some items should be free to even the playing field a bit.  Brakes for example, now that we have free up to 4 piston, we basically had that with the 2x rule for a while, but it is being defined as free. I think that helps a team with smaller brakes compete with newer cars with larger brakes standard. The 2x rule really hurt on that aspect. I could see all non stop brakes of 4 piston or less being 5 points each or something like that though. This all assumes that they got the VPI value right when it started.

I do think there are more free items due to pulling out of the 2x and putting it to free if it is XYZ. 

I do not agree speed creep is due to free items as I do not see teams changing items to gain that speed. I think speed creep is due to tires and teams just being better. I know we were 3 seconds a lap faster an Nelsons with the same car from years ago and we are just better drivers, or I should say, not as crappy as before as that might be more accurate.

So no tires, where do you stand on the fast vs slow tire debate? How do you feel about a team using 8-12 tires a weekend when faster tires vs using 4 tiires of the RS4 for one or two races? The high budget team vs low budget team? Saying it is something to look at for 2022 seems like a bit of answer avoidance. What is your opinion?

9 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Follow up question.

If a build shows up that is within the rules and points and crushes the field by 10 laps or more is that likely a  sign that adjustments need to be made to that cars VPI?   Is it likely that with a list as long as we have that there are a few that are valued incorrectly?

Probably. I also think if it was done once, say with GBU and Champcar said, oh heck no, what were you thinking, EC as it is not in the spirit of the rules until you change xyz then it would set the precedent that other teams will not do a crazy build as they know it will happen to them.

What if a car is at 400 vpi and multiple teams have been running it for years with so so results. If one team comes in and exploits the rules really well and dominates do we raise the VPI to control that at the detriment of all the other teams? I guess we need to define dominate.  Win basically ever other race they enter and only fail to win when they crash?  Philosophical question there to ponder. Is the cat in that box alive or not? hmmmm

Troy,

I do agree on a few of the free parts.

When I counted the number of items that are included as being free I did count the 2x numbers in the 2020 rule book the same as free so 2021 will have a number of new ones.

I think speed creep is generated slightly from free parts or parts that are very low in value. When you get a free part you are using that to either improve the reliability or performance of the car such as I said earlier about hubs. The VPI value of our Focus went down 50 points from when we built the car so we have extra points to spend on performance enhancements or speed creep. Engine swaps have also increased speeds.

I'm not meaning to avoid the tire question I am open to any change that comes across as a petition from members. Who else is running these expensive tires? Are we looking to make a change because of one team? Also if the rule book was followed properly the corvette would of been in the EC class. We don't want the EC class exploding with crazy costs either so I do agree that we might need to make a tire adjustment if warranted. Just would like to get some data on tire usage & type before making a change. The vette at Road American changed left side tires once on Sunday. 

38 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Follow up question.

If a build shows up that is within the rules and points and crushes the field by 10 laps or more is that likely a  sign that adjustments need to be made to that cars VPI?   Is it likely that with a list as long as we have that there are a few that are valued incorrectly?

That is being done at least for the Corvette for next year. Nothing wrong with changing a VPI number as long as it is for the next year. I think the Mustang Cobra is also increasing?

52 minutes ago, hotrod said:

Troy,

I do agree on a few of the free parts.

When I counted the number of items that are included as being free I did count the 2x numbers in the 2020 rule book the same as free so 2021 will have a number of new ones.

I think speed creep is generated slightly from free parts or parts that are very low in value. When you get a free part you are using that to either improve the reliability or performance of the car such as I said earlier about hubs. The VPI value of our Focus went down 50 points from when we built the car so we have extra points to spend on performance enhancements or speed creep. Engine swaps have also increased speeds.

I'm not meaning to avoid the tire question I am open to any change that comes across as a petition from members. Who else is running these expensive tires? Are we looking to make a change because of one team? Also if the rule book was followed properly the corvette would of been in the EC class. We don't want the EC class exploding with crazy costs either so I do agree that we might need to make a tire adjustment if warranted. Just would like to get some data on tire usage & type before making a change. The vette at Road American changed left side tires once on Sunday. 

The question of who is running them is a great one. I see a good portion of top running teams running the fast tires and using them for a day or less each. I do think we need to keep track of who is using what tire and at what tracks. When I look a good portion of the top teams are on the fast tires. It certainly is not only the GBU team.

How do you feel about teams using 6-12+ tires a weekend that are 2-4 seconds a lap faster than using the RS4 type of tire that lasts around 2 race weekends? I guess I need to be that specific on the question.

13 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

The question of who is running them is a great one. I see a good portion of top running teams running the fast tires and using them for a day or less each. I do think we need to keep track of who is using what tire and at what tracks. When I look a good portion of the top teams are on the fast tires. It certainly is not only the GBU team.

How do you feel about teams using 6-12+ tires a weekend that are 2-4 seconds a lap faster than using the RS4 type of tire that lasts around 2 race weekends? I guess I need to be that specific on the question.

When we were running Dunlops we could only get about 6 hours on our front tires. I forget how many we went through at Indy the track was much more abrasive than we thought it would be but it was a 20 hour race. Because of our Indy experience I think limiting tire quantity is difficult. Can't just stop a team from running mid race and some tire usage may be due to flat spotting. 

You bring up some good points and they should be given some time to come up with a resolution that is fair to everyone. Banning a tire for use is one way tho I'm not a big fan of banning something but there are so many options that it shouldn't put a team out. 

My past experience has been that if you restrict a team that uses something as an advantage they are able to use their resources to just find another that's why it's so important for the rule book to keep up. 

I'm not apposed to a tire sort of rule as long as it is positively the correct one.

54 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Will any of the BOD nominees take a stand on tires and what they feel should be done? or am I on the island all by myself?

I know you have been in many discussions about tires, but can you please post the rule that you think should be added or changed in the BCCR regarding tires?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, red0 said:

I know you have been in many discussions about tires, but can you please post the rule that you think should be added or changed in the BCCR regarding tires?

If tires from Appendix ABC are used this will result in the "tire penalty" x race length factor. Tires such as RE71R, ToyoRR, ect.

Tire penalty is based on the track length and lap times. See Apendix D for track names and number of laps.  Example, Road America 1 lap, Nelson Ledges 2.4 laps.

Tire penalty race length factor and must round up. 7 hours = 1, 8 hours = 1.25, 10 hours 1.5, 12 hours 1.75, 14 hours 2.0, 24 hours 3.0.

A couple of questions as well:

1.  How do candidates see as the best way to grow the series over then next 3 years(their term)? 

2. As we continue to see teams that want to run later model cars, how do you plan to balance the vpi? 

3. Tires, the newest issue...is this truly more of a haves vs. have nots?  Vs. a truly detrimental issue to the series overall?  What if this tire was to be discontinued, would you still want to look for a list of outlawed tires, as all that seems to be brought up is the RE-71R.

4. How do you plan to address the multiple rulings on the tech desk, as we as membership have been told that we not only have to build to the bccr, but also the tech desk that seems to have multiple different answers to the same question at different points of the year.

5. While 2020 has been an exception, what are the BOD candidates thoughts on looking to try and work with tracks to offer races outside of 8+7 formats, as those have essentially have become a sprint race for well vested teams, and look to find tracks that will do 12+6 or 14 hour events and invite true endurance racing.  As a midwest team, we would be like to see that option closer than 14hrs away, however we have traveled as far as 28hrs to go to one of these events.

6.  What is the target marked for the series in your eyes?  Do you feel the series should work to expand the free parts to allow teams from AER, WRL, or Lucky Dog to play in our sandbox, or should we stand strong on our rules and instead approach this from a different direction to get these teams to come play?  Road America was a great event with some WRL crossover teams that really made for some fun, clean racing.

7. Thank you for taking the time to respond to these and good luck to you all.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

A couple of questions as well:

1.  How do candidates see as the best way to grow the series over then next 3 years(their term)? 

2. As we continue to see teams that want to run later model cars, how do you plan to balance the vpi? 

3. Tires, the newest issue...is this truly more of a haves vs. have nots?  Vs. a truly detrimental issue to the series overall?  What if this tire was to be discontinued, would you still want to look for a list of outlawed tires, as all that seems to be brought up is the RE-71R.

4. How do you plan to address the multiple rulings on the tech desk, as we as membership have been told that we not only have to build to the bccr, but also the tech desk that seems to have multiple different answers to the same question at different points of the year.

5. While 2020 has been an exception, what are the BOD candidates thoughts on looking to try and work with tracks to offer races outside of 8+7 formats, as those have essentially have become a sprint race for well vested teams, and look to find tracks that will do 12+6 or 14 hour events and invite true endurance racing.  As a midwest team, we would be like to see that option closer than 14hrs away, however we have traveled as far as 28hrs to go to one of these events.

6.  What is the target marked for the series in your eyes?  Do you feel the series should work to expand the free parts to allow teams from AER, WRL, or Lucky Dog to play in our sandbox, or should we stand strong on our rules and instead approach this from a different direction to get these teams to come play?  Road America was a great event with some WRL crossover teams that really made for some fun, clean racing.

7. Thank you for taking the time to respond to these and good luck to you all.

Awesome questions, I'm a low budget team owner who is looking to have a fairly low cost race event to enter, I love the endurance side of Champcar and realize costs are going to be more in this series, as for tires here's my thought what about mandating only stock size wheels with any tire you can fit on them? Any body have any thoughts on that? I'm happy with the ones were running they are as good as the RE 71's I ran in the 90's wear well and grip well, and best of all a set of 4 cost less than $225 shipped to my house! I realized I have lots of aero to fix on the car that is part of my growing with this series and is giving me lots to do this winter. As for the tire debate I can't see buying expensive wheels or tires to compete. I will see next spring how my improvements stack up. I like stability in rules and follow them as I understand them. Is there a chance I can win in an A car overall, I wouldn't have even thought that was possible untill RA and the disparity in lap times, granted aero is one of the Rabbits worst features, but to see A car's running faster then My best lap on the kink track in my Neon back in 1996 amazed me, where is the method to even the class fields? Still won't stop me from trying it's still way to much fun.. any perspective board members have any views on these issues /ideas?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

as for tires here's my thought what about mandating only stock size wheels with any tire you can fit on them? Any body have any thoughts on that? 

The issue is that this doesn't create any sort of parity. 

An E30 (or similar) would be stuck running Tiger Paws in 185/65R14 while some of these newer cars (boxster, mustang, miata) could be running real tire sizes that allow them to run sticky tires since there are more options.

8 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

The issue is that this doesn't create any sort of parity. 

An E30 (or similar) would be stuck running Tiger Paws in 185/65R14 while some of these newer cars (boxster, mustang, miata) could be running real tire sizes that allow them to run sticky tires since there are more options.

How about different sizes for the different classes? 13's or 14's  could be an A class thing. 15's or 16's could be B. 17's or 18's could be C, and any size larger could be D. Just another thought? I think this might help with parity and define classes better then the present system still leaving many choices for each team to decide what to run in there desired class.