Effective Windshield Defroster - (aside from the stock box)

smessaert

3 minutes ago, smessaert said:

Thanks guys, dumb question but at the strips clear or is the copper wire visible to the driver? Is installation fairly straight forward and assume you plug it into a cigarette lighter or wire directly to the car?

They're "visible", but don't notice it on track since focus is way out in front of the car.

They are distracting at slow speeds, but once on track, they disappear.

They are NOT easy to put on a w indsheild that is installed.

Careful layout with painters tape on the inside of the w indsheild helps.  The tape will show you where you can actually get your hands and a Razor blade near the sides and top and bottom of the w indsheild.

It is important that the strips are even, not broken, not twisted, etc.  

The install is definitely something you want to think through and mock up before you start peeling 5 inch wide by 30 inch long adhesive panels....  it can turn into a big mess quickly....

All of that being said, it is doable.  Just make sure you think it through before sticking it on the w indsheild.

I use a large breaker, switch, and relay to be able to run mine continuously.  The wiring kit that you can buy with the unit turns off after so long.  @Huggy recommended the wiring parts...

Edited by wvumtnbkr

38 minutes ago, smessaert said:

Thanks guys, dumb question but at the strips clear or is the copper wire visible to the driver? Is installation fairly straight forward and assume you plug it into a cigarette lighter or wire directly to the car?

Like @Bremsen stated- you don't notice these while racing.

I think @Huggy did a nice write up on our last installation of these- kind of a lessons learned from previous installations- try a search. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, petawawarace said:

So those work well with Lexan too?

Ours is on Lexan, but we've not tested it yet.  Its my understanding that fogging is far less of an issue on polycarbonate, but again, we haven't had any fogging yet to determine either way. 

The main issue I had was applying it to the lexan and then installing the windshield afterward.  I applied the grid with the window flat, but once installed/curved the grid wanted to lift off the window (and still does to some extent).  I don't think it will dramatically effect the performance with some small sections not sticking down, but something to be mindful of when applying prior to installing.  ymmv.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am the odd ball that sees the lines all the time and they bother me. It’s just me, but I went the route of the E30 cab defrosters and they suck so I ended up putting the stock box back in before Sebring. Then sent Huggy out in the rain at Sebring without turning the heat on and he had to suffer poor visibility.  Or maybe it was John, but whatever. It works great if you turn the heat on. 

I mean, if you drive a 3000# race car what’s another 7 or 8 pounds.  

Here are the awesome E30 cab defrosters in action last year at Barber. It's a good thing I have driven that place so much so I could do it from memory instead of actually seeing the track.

image.thumb.png.14e687fd12cca687bf59f986de0d944e.png

Edited by Burningham

1 hour ago, mhr650 said:

I had the same results with the BMW electric defrost units, you can see the tiny hole of clear screen just above the unit.

Wow, mine were working great compared to that.  I had 2.  I think I would have had to have at least 4 to have a somewhat field of vision.  That would be something like 80 amps if all 4 were on, maybe they could have been multiplexed.  Or I could have added a second alternator.

• Technical Advisory Committee
50 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Wow, mine were working great compared to that.  I had 2.  I think I would have had to have at least 4 to have a somewhat field of vision.  That would be something like 80 amps if all 4 were on, maybe they could have been multiplexed.  Or I could have added a second alternator.

Nope, looked about like that at Sebring...

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Mazmarc said:

No motors. No wires. No switches. No plugs.

I'm lookin at you Rodger 🤣

My cousin that has run an E36 out west did this 4 or 5 years ago. I like it, but couldn’t figure how to get the coverage I needed in my car or maybe I gave up too easily. Good idea though, should work for most. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, Burningham said:

I am the odd ball that sees the lines all the time and they bother me. It’s just me, but I went the route of the E30 cab defrosters and they suck so I ended up putting the stock box back in before Sebring. Then sent Huggy out in the rain at Sebring without turning the heat on and he had to suffer poor visibility.  Or maybe it was John, but whatever. It works great if you turn the heat on. 

I mean, if you drive a 3000# race car what’s another 7 or 8 pounds.  

Here are the awesome E30 cab defrosters in action last year at Barber. It's a good thing I have driven that place so much so I could do it from memory instead of actually seeing the track.

image.thumb.png.14e687fd12cca687bf59f986de0d944e.png

I see the lines on the vette as well. Bothers me. The vette is a super hot car already so not sure I want to do the heater thing yet.