Bump Steer Correction - Bad Idea of the week? (Tie-rod bending)

kcbhiw

Due to the act of turning an otherwise functional street car into a race car, my tie rods are now pointing toward the tree tops.  In an effort to avoid racking up 20 points for aftermarket tie-rod ends to fix the angle, I thought I might add a couple of bends to the tie rod itself. Opposing 6-degree bends should just about get me to where I need to be over a 10" span of the tie rod.  Bad idea? Suitable adjustment?

Thanks!

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Bad idea. I think the shape of the rod is actually irrelevant, only the locations in 3D space of the mounting/pivot points?

Ahh, I see.  I wasn't thinking about it from the perspective of the actual pickup point locations.  Bummer.  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, kcbhiw said:

Ahh, I see.  I wasn't thinking about it from the perspective of the actual pickup point locations.  Bummer.  Thanks!

Also you induce stress into the rod which will likely cause it to break at that point. And it goes without saying any time it would break would be a bad time!

• Like 1