Looking for seat at Daytona, Maybe more

I am new to real racing (sim racing 10+years on Iracing) laugh it up not the same I know 😂😂. Any way it's always been a dream of mine to race on the high banks of Daytona. How much would a seat usually cost? I'm 30 mins south of Daytona. Any pointers and info would be appreciated! Thank you. 

Email miketaylor5624@gmail.com

**** i listened and i am probably going to join in daytona and volunteer unless a team could use me to change tires or fuel ect..  

Edited by MikeTaylor813

Hey don't sell yourself short- I've had HPDE students and racing teammates who made easy transitions into real world track days and wheel to wheel racing.  (Probably easier than me starting HPDEs in my 40's with a high HP car because I just knew I was an excellent driver, lol)

Costs can vary greatly, but the lowest I've seen is $500/stint (1.5 hours), and highest I've paid is $1700 for two stints.  You also have to figure in if the team asks for a crash deposit, agreed upon max amount you'll pay if you bin it up, or if there's no cost to you beyond the rental fee.

The standard advice is come out to a race, volunteer w/ Champcar or a team as crew, network, etc.  I'd say that's a better way to start than just picking a team based on price.  Chances are pretty good that if you go that route, you may just end up hanging around all day while your team tries to a) get the car on track and b) keep it running.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeTaylor813 said:

Thanks for the info. ill definitely think about helping out. im not very knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars but i can change tires and add fuel lol. 

Mike, Daytona has been a track in the past that required real world wheel to wheel experience before participation.  So if that is still the case, you would need to enter a race somewhere else first.

Also, I'm In St Augustine, we run a v8 Firebird and there are several other teams in the Ormond Beach/Daytona area.

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

When you do get on track/banking @ daytona, fast cars high, slow cars low. Always leave a car+ space between you and the outside wall, you will not see/hear em, till they are on top of you.

WOAH WHAT A MISS!! he saw it coming too. you can tell he slowed like 200 ft before they made contact!

4 hours ago, Justin9 said:

Mike, Daytona has been a track in the past that required real world wheel to wheel experience before participation.  So if that is still the case, you would need to enter a race somewhere else first.

Also, I'm In St Augustine, we run a v8 Firebird and there are several other teams in the Ormond Beach/Daytona area.

thanks for the heads up Justin! I am about 2.5 hours from palm beach speedway so i can probably aim for sept. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, MikeTaylor813 said:

Thanks for the info. ill definitely think about helping out. im not very knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars but i can change tires and add fuel lol. 

Regarding helping as crew; the most common duties for pit stops are :
1. Pouring gas in the car
2. Holding fire extinguisher during fueling
3.  Helping next driver get buckled in.
Note that 1-3 require you wear at least a single layer fire suit, sfi gloves, SA2xxx helmet and closed toed shoes.  Depending on the team, they may have extras of the fire proof stuff.  
4. Checking oil and adding as necessary
5. Checking torque on lug nuts
6. Checking tire pressures
7. Holding pit board for incoming driver

8. Monitoring and working radios during the driver's stint.

9. Adding ice to cool shirt cooler, and draining water.  Filling drink bottles.

(Changing tires is not all that common, most teams will run one set for a weekend.)

There's lots of things to do to help, and lots to learn, but nothing is overly technical that couldn't be learned pretty quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...