What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

Ray Franck

2 hours ago, wd6681 said:

Miata? Happened to me twice on my cars 1.6 brakes (hawk blues) my friends car pointed out that I so not run the stainless guide shims in the caliper. My theory is that without the clip in stainless shims the pad can become cocked and wedged, caliper piston comes in and bends the backing plate.

It's a Miata with 1.8 brakes but you may be onto something because I don't use those shims. Maybe I should change my preparation. Time to go dig around and see if I have any. 

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's a Miata with 1.8 brakes but you may be onto something because I don't use those shims. Maybe I should change my preparation. Time to go dig around and see if I have any. 

I think the pad binding is most likely.   We've had a rear do that on the Miata.   Part of the amazing stuff that happens to cars when we abuse them like we do.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Meh.  That's over rated!

Is there a difference between the black coated autolite plugs and silver ones?  Same number on them.

Not that I know of. I usually use the copper core ones amd replace them every other weekend. Helps me keep track of what is going on in the engine. 

• Like 1

Made the lexan windows and got the rest of the trim installed. Going to wait a touch longer before decals go on, give the paint another few weeks to fully cure. 

Started prep for the new fuse panel and wiring clean up and routing. So dang close now. 

IMG_20211205_172841_270.jpg

IMG_20211205_172841_326.jpg

IMG_20211205_172841_332.jpg

• Like 5

• Technical Advisory Committee
12 hours ago, Fetterhund said:

Made the lexan windows and got the rest of the trim installed. Going to wait a touch longer before decals go on, give the paint another few weeks to fully cure. 

Started prep for the new fuse panel and wiring clean up and routing. So dang close now. 

Trim? 

A wise man once said wrt building a ChampCar "If it doesn't make it go faster or last longer, eliminate it."

jk, (kind of  B)) - your car looks awesome. Great job on it! Thanks for sharing the build thread. We're anxious to see you get it out there and join in the excitement and enjoyment.

Well done, and Good Luck!

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 12/4/2021 at 10:36 PM, tneker said:

A little fuel cell framework welding today. image.png.d659c5769b14dc8039dfdf8043182d81.png

Don't scratch that awesome interior paint job while your installing that thing!

• Like 1

Done did da dyno day.  Were hoping we could get 200hp/200tq but fell short of that.  Still, our 2.5L made 165/154 and this 3.0L made 188/196 so it's a pretty potent upgrade.

Not the cleanest tune yet but should be sufficient for Sebring.  I'll be able to datalog while doing the practice day and tweak it as needed.

PXL_20211203_175612080.jpg.d000dd82c5b44b4d6ed94d5fcdc6a08c.jpg

P.S. Don't think this was a two-run dyno day!  We spent a full two hours playing with it until we hit these numbers.  I played with lots of things, including running timing from 22-38 degrees, AFRs from 12.6-13.2, accel enrichment, adjsuted fuel pressure, etc.

These two runs all I did was take the injection schedule backwards 180 degrees (the richer one/less powerful one) then took VE back out to account for the richer condition I created with the 180 earlier injections (the leaner/more powerful one).

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 6

After confirming that our upgraded radiator and rad ducting were effective, we've gone into "relocation mode". 

We've got several small relocation projects underway:

- relocate and install a larger oil cooler

- relocate the power steering pump away from the VERY FRONT of the car

- relocate the battery and coolshirt cooler so that we no longer need to get into back seat area for anything

And a few other items:

- installed a quick release steering wheel

- lexan for the rear of car

- ordered a new halo seat

• Like 3

20 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Done did da dyno day.  Were hoping we could get 200hp/200tq but fell short of that.  Still, our 2.5L made 165/154 and this 3.0L made 188/196 so it's a pretty potent upgrade.

Not the cleanest tune yet but should be sufficient for Sebring.  I'll be able to datalog while doing the practice day and tweak it as needed.

PXL_20211203_175612080.jpg.d000dd82c5b44b4d6ed94d5fcdc6a08c.jpg

P.S. Don't think this was a two-run dyno day!  We spent a full two hours playing with it until we hit these numbers.  I played with lots of things, including running timing from 22-38 degrees, AFRs from 12.6-13.2, accel enrichment, adjsuted fuel pressure, etc.

These two runs all I did was take the injection schedule backwards 180 degrees (the richer one/less powerful one) then took VE back out to account for the richer condition I created with the 180 earlier injections (the leaner/more powerful one).

Is this a duratec 3.0? Or what 3.0?

Removed foam from fuel tank as surge tank is helping more and I want to try to get closer to 2 hour stint time at Road America. Might have to try and figure out how to install Hydromat, but going to be tough with a stock VW tank. I only have a 2 inch sending unit opening to work through, also ordered a flagtronics last week and it's on its way, picked up recertified fire bottle from Pegasus on Thursday. That's in the house till spring.

• Like 1