2021 NCM Motorsports Park Grand Prix 8+7 results

I personally had a lot of fun at NCM.  Thank you Champcar!

This weekend was a perfect example of why I have let my SCCA competition license expire after 20 years.

For a similar entry fee to a double weekend… tires… what not… we got 11 hours of track time (of a possible 15) for the same cost as an SCCA event.   I personally got about 6 hours of seat time.  Not six thirty min sessions but Six hours.  I love it.   Champcar rocks.

I loved sharing the track with all you nuts.  Even when the car broke on me late both days I was getting out of the car smiling.  Because I was having so much fun racing you crazy people.  Champcar rocks not only because the time on track is so much but because the people you’re on track with are fun to be around.  After 6 hours… of driving I have almost nothing negative to say about any of yall.

Big shout out to team Bare Maximum for welding on our car Saturday night!  We wouldn’t have made Sunday without someone welding on the car.

Big thanks to everyone!

If anyone has an image of the Lincoln on two wheels in the right following that sharp left hair pin; that would be cool.  My daydream when building that car back in 2016 was for it to look like an Australian Touring car on track.  It has never lived up to that.  But I think I may have been getting air there on a good launch I could feel the right front reestablish grip about half way to trackout, not sure if it was airborne but it wasn’t doing anything till mid track.      

Sorry for causing the really long purple when the car broke on Sunday.  I couldn’t drive it safely to the pits. (the left rear tow arm broke in half) It took a little while to load.  The wrecker crew started with a rear axel pick up; started to drive off… the Lincoln fell off and rolled into the back of their truck.  (I made a bad joke about I hope the paint on the rear bumper of the Lincoln was okay; they didn’t get the joke) Then they had to flat tow it, made for a very long purple. 

Thank you Champcar!  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben 595 said:

I know our first stint driver on Sunday had a blast racing with you.  We enjoyed pitting next to you as well.  

Anybody have any tires left?

• Thanks 1

I am looking for video of the #6 yellow miata hitting the Armaco near pit in on Saturday about 3 hours and 45 minutes in.  Please let me know if you have any.

There were some REALLY fast cars this weekend and I wish we would have lasted longer and got to play a bit more.  Congrats to the winners, you all earned that one for sure!

The WTF Miata that won on Saturday and placed P2 on Sunday seemed to be incredibly fast. Has somebody found a new recipe for A-class Miatas? They were ~3 seconds faster than PB, which is pretty impressive. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snorman said:

The WTF Miata that won on Saturday and placed P2 on Sunday seemed to be incredibly fast. Has somebody found a new recipe for A-class Miatas? They were ~3 seconds faster than PB, which is pretty impressive. 

Those miatas were dead even at Gingerman last year. I heard that PB had some crash damage, maybe someone can corroborate and explain their relative lack of pace?

36 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Those miatas were dead even at Gingerman last year. I heard that PB had some crash damage, maybe someone can corroborate and explain their relative lack of pace?

Even more impressive was that the WTF Miata was a minimum of 5+ seconds faster than every other A class Miata. Clearly a very fast car. 

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
Just now, Snorman said:

Even more impressive was that the WTF Miata was a minimum of 5+ seconds faster than every other A class Miata. Clearly a very fast car. 

I'm sure they are elated after having what feels like ten 2nd place finishes. I'm sure if you cough up enough coin Ralph at V2 will build you the same car. I don't think Hille comes with it though, so ymmv

• Like 5

We had a rough weekend overall.  Practice went well, we were fast with the new mods. Saturday lap 1 a corner light flew off of a e36 bmw and went thru our radiator. 

Sunday we had a weird fuel system issue. Even thru all that it was still good to see everyone and we look forward to seeing you all at Autobahn. 

4 hours ago, Ben 595 said:

After 6 hours… of driving I have almost nothing negative to say about any of yall.

Big shout out to team Bare Maximum for welding on our car Saturday night!  We wouldn’t have made Sunday without someone welding on the car.

Ben, glad to help with the welding. Matt loves saving the day. Your comments above are spot on. The driving was courteous without too much contact. Those tiger teeth are rough at NCM. 

I had an amazing weekend with team Bare Maximum#429  (Blue E36 325). None of us had been to NCM before. The test day had a couple of issues regarding items needed for tech, but I ended up getting about 5 sighting laps. I’ll be honest, I felt lost out there. 22 turns are a lot to remember with a couple cool 4th gear fast turns.  By Saturday we started getting familiar. A lot of teams had issues with exhausts falling down due to the aforementioned tiger-teeth. Ours was one of them. We tied it up with wire on Saturday and kept on. Welded it up later that night. Rob turned some great laps in the car. We had to deal with a 4th gear misfire that we determined was due to bad gas. We kept pumping 93 100% Gasoline (non ethanol) from the track pumps and it cleared it right up. No contact, no offs in the grass. Had to round out some flat spots, but no biggie. We finished 15th and 7th in class I think. We were happy with that. This is still a relatively new build for Rob and Matt and it was the first race finish for the team. 

Sunday I started in the car. My stint on Saturday was more than half caution or Pink35 laps. So it was great to finally get going at speed. Had some great battles with Brew Krewe, Bulldog Racing, and Hounddog? and it was all clean and mostly courteous. What a blast. Turned a 2:29 which felt good. Rob was in next and was even more consistent. Car came in and Matt got in. Clean driving and we kept moving up through the order. I finished in the car and we ended up 7th and 4th in class. Lots of seat time, lots of fun. Thanks to whomever spotted me fuel for cash at the pumps when my card was fraud alerted. Great racing community here in Champcar. The facility was awesome. Champcar and the track staff did a great job dealing with all the mechanical failures and tows to keep everything moving. It was a fun Weekend and that’s what it’s all about. 

BA20C5F0-E351-4ED8-BEF2-38E2354B92A1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quicker10u said:

Ben, glad to help with the welding. Matt loves saving the day. Your comments above are spot on. The driving was courteous without too much contact. Those tiger teeth are rough at NCM. 

I had an amazing weekend with team Bare Maximum#429  (Blue E36 325). None of us had been to NCM before. The test day had a couple of issues regarding items needed for tech, but I ended up getting about 5 sighting laps. I’ll be honest, I felt lost out there. 22 turns are a lot to remember with a couple cool 4th gear fast turns.  By Saturday we started getting familiar. A lot of teams had issues with exhausts falling down due to the aforementioned tiger-teeth. Ours was one of them. We tied it up with wire on Saturday and kept on. Welded it up later that night. Rob turned some great laps in the car. We had to deal with a 4th gear misfire that we determined was due to bad gas. We kept pumping 93 100% Gasoline (non ethanol) from the track pumps and it cleared it right up. No contact, no offs in the grass. Had to round out some flat spots, but no biggie. We finished 15th and 7th in class I think. We were happy with that. This is still a relatively new build for Rob and Matt and it was the first race finish for the team. 

Sunday I started in the car. My stint on Saturday was more than half caution or Pink35 laps. So it was great to finally get going at speed. Had some great battles with Brew Krewe, Bulldog Racing, and Hounddog? and it was all clean and mostly courteous. What a blast. Turned a 2:29 which felt good. Rob was in next and was even more consistent. Car came in and Matt got in. Clean driving and we kept moving up through the order. I finished in the car and we ended up 7th and 4th in class. Lots of seat time, lots of fun. Thanks to whomever spotted me fuel for cash at the pumps when my card was fraud alerted. Great racing community here in Champcar. The facility was awesome. Champcar and the track staff did a great job dealing with all the mechanical failures and tows to keep everything moving. It was a fun Weekend and that’s what it’s all about. 

BA20C5F0-E351-4ED8-BEF2-38E2354B92A1.jpeg

Running Bulls chased issues all weekend. Where did you get the gas from? RBR issues didn't pop up until after the first pitstop.

A big congrats to WTF, Great driving and WOW, what a motor!   Nemesis was equally as fast and well driven, very well done.

Using Gingerman as the baseline we just didn't have anything for WTF this time.  Our alignment could have been better but we could hang in corners and makeup ground in the high speed sections, but got beat in consistency and we need to figure out how to get power up substantially.   On Saturday we did try the 205 RE71Rs and were actually about a second slower than the 245 Rivals.  

Drivers:   We had two drivers, Jerry and myself.  @Jer  was a great renter.  Clean, consistent, smart on strategy, and we had a good time having him join the team for the weekend.

NCM:  What a track!  If you want a workout as a driver, this is the track for sure.  

Car:  The fuel cell was great until it wasn't.  Redundant fuel pumps were not enough and both failed late in the day on Sunday.  Now we will be adding three pumps just in case.   On Saturday our alternator power cable broke a terminal and fried the alternator.  Our batter terminals were under our fuel bulkhead and inaccessible so it was very difficult to get the car going after a quick alternator change.

Sound:   I've been told that CCES told the track to enforce 96dB in the test day and we got black flagged on the test day.   We spent some of the test day putting in silencers and turning down the tip to get under the 96dB limit, luckily we had a good amount of slack in our test plan for the day.  We made it under the limit consistently but just consistently reading at 96dB three laps back to back.    I had concerns and addressed them with a CCES official.  I was told that we would not be black flagged for Saturday as we were and they were going after the most egregious offenders.  Saturday rolls around and we get flagged first stint for sound at 99dB.   Not happy.  I really with CCES had consistent messaging on this but I am more mad at myself for believing it and not being more cautious.  Luckily another failure cost us a good finish and not just that black flag.

Speed Creep:  We were a hair off our normal pace, but teams are getting fast, really fast.  I honestly don't even know where to find that much power.  

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jakks said:

Running Bulls chased issues all weekend. Where did you get the gas from? RBR issues didn't pop up until after the first pitstop.

He’s covering for my dumbass self.  I bought 87 octane twice for our car instead of 93.   It was good gas just wrong octane lol.  Lesson learned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

A big congrats to WTF, Great driving and WOW, what a motor!   Nemesis was equally as fast and well driven, very well done.

Using Gingerman as the baseline we just didn't have anything for WTF this time.  Our alignment could have been better but we could hang in corners and makeup ground in the high speed sections, but got beat in consistency and we need to figure out how to get power up substantially.   On Saturday we did try the 205 RE71Rs and were actually about a second slower than the 245 Rivals.  

Drivers:   We had two drivers, Jerry and myself.  @Jer  was a great renter.  Clean, consistent, smart on strategy, and we had a good time having him join the team for the weekend.

NCM:  What a track!  If you want a workout as a driver, this is the track for sure.  

Car:  The fuel cell was great until it wasn't.  Redundant fuel pumps were not enough and both failed late in the day on Sunday.  Now we will be adding three pumps just in case.   On Saturday our alternator power cable broke a terminal and fried the alternator.  Our batter terminals were under our fuel bulkhead and inaccessible so it was very difficult to get the car going after a quick alternator change.

Sound:   I've been told that CCES told the track to enforce 96dB in the test day and we got black flagged on the test day.   We spent some of the test day putting in silencers and turning down the tip to get under the 96dB limit, luckily we had a good amount of slack in our test plan for the day.  We made it under the limit consistently but just consistently reading at 96dB three laps back to back.    I had concerns and addressed them with a CCES official.  I was told that we would not be black flagged for Saturday as we were and they were going after the most egregious offenders.  Saturday rolls around and we get flagged first stint for sound at 99dB.   Not happy.  I really with CCES had consistent messaging on this but I am more mad at myself for believing it and not being more cautious.  Luckily another failure cost us a good finish and not just that black flag.

Speed Creep:  We were a hair off our normal pace, but teams are getting fast, really fast.  I honestly don't even know where to find that much power.  

Huge shout out to you guys!

We bought a brand new imsa car harness and installed it on Friday.

It no workie!  Crap!   

Parts badger (I believe your name is Roy) helped us by labelling the entire harness, finding the proper pinouts, and resoldering the wires in the correct way.

Took like 1.5 hours.  He didn't ask for anything and wouldn't take anything in return.

Really awesome guys, well run team, and super helpful!

Thanks @LuckyKid!

• Like 10

I'll do a full write up later, but I am happy that the car is competitive.

I feel like we let a couple of good finishes slip away due to weird part failures this weekend.

Rob R.

• Like 2

First off, thanks to all for a great weekend on an awesome track. Good, clean racing with just the right amount of hard-nosed dicing. So freakin' fun.

901 Motorsport had a good (and bad) weekend. We started mid pack on Saturday with the #901 and #902 e30s. One of the highlights of the day was running the two cars nose to tail for first 2hrs, working through traffic together, up to 3rd and 4th. Lowlight for #902 was in the afternoon with a hard crash into the Armco on cold tires that put #902 in the trailer, maybe permanently. FYI-- if you are debating footwell intrusion bars , do it. Likely saved us from some bad juju. #901 kept on rolling, running a clean race up to 5th. Fun, but we just didn't have the raw pace to run higher.

Sunday we started just the #901. The first stint we (I, really) had just an awesome battle with the Bulldog Racing e30. So fun trading places, side by side, for an hour, getting us both up to the top 5. (After the stint I went to talk to them, telling my guys they were either going to be psyched for some awesome race fun, or they were going to punch me in the nose for racing so close. They were psyched, thank goodness). We realized after the first stop that we were just a little off on power for some reason but were getting great mileage, so our crew chief/guru Frank decided to roll the dice. We did a fuel-only stop, told the 2 drivers to go real fast but not use any fuel, and it worked and we picked up a lap. We were chasing the RVA e30, who were also our pit neighbors and awesomely even offered to help us when we thought had an issue. The Miatas were in another league (wow-- impressive cars) and the yellows didn't fall our way, so 4th it was.

Even though we bent some stuff, was a great weekend overall. Thanks again to the ChampCar community for an awesome time.
Edited by eyeballs19
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

How can the fuel pump fail? Is there something special with your setup?

14 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Redundant fuel pumps were not enough and both failed late in the day on Sunday.  Now we will be adding three pumps just in case. 

If I failed a primary and a backup pump I'd look for why versus adding a third methinks.

• Like 5

Good race weekend for the On Second Thought 341 Miata.  

Friday test day was spent trying to figure out a new setup on the car.  Had some “interesting” handling throughout the day.  Finished the day with our best setup, still not great or happy with it. During checks at the end of the day we found a loose/bad tie rod on the LF.  Changed that, alignment and went a little blind into the first stint Sat.  

Started Sat and found out quick that the tie rod was contributing to our handling issues on Fri.  Unfortunately the setup Friday without active toe didn’t leave us the best handling balance.  I muscled through the first 2hrs with a car that seemed to be loose almost everywhere.  First stop we did a bar change which helped rope the car back in to somewhat normal characteristics.  The rest of the day went off without a hitch.  We finished 10th overall.

No changes to the car between Sat/Sun.  Sunday was uneventful for the car, clicked off laps without issues.  I was in the car from 10:30-12:30.  I had some good back and forth with the Maximum Effort, HoundDogs, TAG teams.  I got a little caught up in the back and forth one time going into 18.  3 wide into braking zone there isn’t recommended.  Glad the ME and other guys saw me coming and left some room!  Great driving by all of them!  Finished again in 10th for the day.  

Good weekend with some great racing.  Perfect weather which was a welcomed change from out last two races at Road Atlanta and Barber.  

Congrats the the WTF guys!  Very clean car!  In looking at your car in impound it left me scratching my head as to how we have similar equipment but we were not even in the same league for performance!  Hell of a car you guys have there!

NCM really gives you a workout!  Seems like you are always doing something in the car, and many of the turns are so close together there isn’t time to “relax”.  

Have a some time off before it next race at Mid Ohio to do some changes/improvements to the car.  

96C3414F-0557-421F-B02F-4AC3CDD91561.jpeg

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

It was a pleasure racing with you guys!  Great team, great people.  Despite some failures, it was a fantastic weekend.  Roy is a great guy and a super fast driver.  Car was a blast to drive!   NCM is a fun track and I'd love to go back again next year.  

• Like 1

Bulldog Racing NCM 2021 weekend summary:

Thursday - transit day: the rain driving to NCM was no joke (we drove from Maryland). 
I'm pretty sure we boogered up our IMSA connector as it was exposed to the rain on our open trailer.
We had issue Sunday with the pit not being able to hear drivers.
Anyone selling a 24' enclosed trailer?! 

Friday - practice
AM practice went great with everyone getting time on crap tires to familiarize with the track. I had been here in 2018, but Sean @samblane and @ChrisG had not. 
Tech went smooth. Online tech forms rule. We had a small issue with panel gap in the rear firewall that was quickly corrected with more fire block foam.
Passed the dreaded window net inspection. 

PM practice we put on the race rubber and ran for 20min to just make sure we were good to go. Sean comes back in and the driver rear is dead flat with 10psi in it. Come to find out the valve stem became dislodged / cracked. Our support crew (Tommy & Jimmy) sprinted out and got the tire fixed at Baja Auto Service, the place for all your tire needs!

Saturday 8hr: Ran clean, finished 6th. Driver order was Chris / Sean / Me / Chris. We stopped @ the 2hr mark and missed every Pink35 flag.
Finished the day with @ChrisG noticing the brake pedal was sinking when you press slow (but if you stab the brake pedal hard, it works correct).
Saturday PM diagnostics pointed to an internal leak in the master cylinder (which I didn't bring a spare of). Luckily @frankrehnelt @ 901 motorsports lent us a spare part, we bled brakes and swapped the left side tires front to back for the Sunday Race

Sunday 7hr: Ran clean, finished 5th. Driver order was Sean / Me / Chris / Me. We did 2h stints and missed every Pink35 again and I finished the race for a 1.5hr stint. During Sean's @samblane 1st stint he commented that the brakes felt 'different'. Turns out we forgot the seal to the brake master cylinder and we were almost running e30 brakes with no vacuum assist. Sean and I both hated it, but Chris loved it, he's insane. After my first stint I ate a delicious food truck chicken rice bowl  and started to get really tired. It was so bad we did a coin flip to see who would get in the car last and Sean made me drive even though he won the coin toss.
Best decision ever as the last stint Sunday was my favorite time running with RVA, Hounddogs and Bare Maximum. 

We ran a two perfect races with no black flags / mechanical issues / serious contact. 
The car has pace, but not enough to win...so time for some upgrades!

I thought this weekend was run great by the Champcar staff and all teams / drivers were really courteous and aware. 10/10 would race again!

Next race is Nelson Ledges...

image.thumb.png.faa4afb69312b2bddeb47c07377f9a4a.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

I've been told that CCES told the track to enforce 96dB in the test day and we got black flagged on the test day.

Not necessarily so. We asked them to monitor dB and advise us who was over to give the teams a chance to fix BEFORE we would have to black flag them during the race. If they displayed the black flag to you it was our attempt as a courtesy BF only. 

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not necessarily so. We asked them to monitor dB and advise us who was over to give the teams a chance to fix BEFORE we would have to black flag them during the race. If they displayed the black flag to you it was our attempt as a courtesy BF only. 

The track officials I spoke to didn't seem to have that understanding.  We didn't want to get booted from the test day/weekend, so we immediately pivoting to fixing it and getting new readings.  After the fixes (Silencer and turndown) is when I was told about the Saturday enforcement("you won't get black flagged")  that turned out to be inaccurate and resulted in another black flag on Saturday, this time during the race.

Fuel Pump Update:  It was the main power tee to that panel.  It splits into three, but the main cable.  apparently it was over its current limit and getting too hot.  I am going to measure the draw on everything to accurately gauge that wire (I think its 10 gauge now). 

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MichaelPal said:

Bulldog Racing NCM 2021 weekend summary:

Thursday - transit day: the rain driving to NCM was no joke (we drove from Maryland). 
I'm pretty sure we boogered up our IMSA connector as it was exposed to the rain on our open trailer.
We had issue Sunday with the pit not being able to hear drivers.
Anyone selling a 24' enclosed trailer?! 

Friday - practice
AM practice went great with everyone getting time on crap tires to familiarize with the track. I had been here in 2018, but Sean @samblane and @ChrisG had not. 
Tech went smooth. Online tech forms rule. We had a small issue with panel gap in the rear firewall that was quickly corrected with more fire block foam.
Passed the dreaded window net inspection. 

PM practice we put on the race rubber and ran for 20min to just make sure we were good to go. Sean comes back in and the driver rear is dead flat with 10psi in it. Come to find out the valve stem became dislodged / cracked. Our support crew (Tommy & Jimmy) sprinted out and got the tire fixed at Baja Auto Service, the place for all your tire needs!

Saturday 8hr: Ran clean, finished 6th. Driver order was Chris / Sean / Me / Chris. We stopped @ the 2hr mark and missed every Pink35 flag.
Finished the day with @ChrisG noticing the brake pedal was sinking when you press slow (but if you stab the brake pedal hard, it works correct).
Saturday PM diagnostics pointed to an internal leak in the master cylinder (which I didn't bring a spare of). Luckily @frankrehnelt @ 901 motorsports lent us a spare part, we bled brakes and swapped the left side tires front to back for the Sunday Race

Sunday 7hr: Ran clean, finished 5th. Driver order was Sean / Me / Chris / Me. We did 2h stints and missed every Pink35 again and I finished the race for a 1.5hr stint. During Sean's @samblane 1st stint he commented that the brakes felt 'different'. Turns out we forgot the seal to the brake master cylinder and we were almost running e30 brakes with no vacuum assist. Sean and I both hated it, but Chris loved it, he's insane. After my first stint I ate a delicious food truck chicken rice bowl  and started to get really tired. It was so bad we did a coin flip to see who would get in the car last and Sean made me drive even though he won the coin toss.
Best decision ever as the last stint Sunday was my favorite time running with RVA, Hounddogs and Bare Maximum. 

We ran a two perfect races with no black flags / mechanical issues / serious contact. 
The car has pace, but not enough to win...so time for some upgrades!

I thought this weekend was run great by the Champcar staff and all teams / drivers were really courteous and aware. 10/10 would race again!

Next race is Nelson Ledges...

image.thumb.png.faa4afb69312b2bddeb47c07377f9a4a.png

It was a pleasure racing with you guys on track.  You didn't give anything away, I had to work for it, and that's what racing is all about.  Thank you!!!

• Like 1