Jump to content

2021 NCM Motorsports Park Grand Prix 8+7 results


Bill Strong
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

The track officials I spoke to didn't seem to have that understanding.  We didn't want to get booted from the test day/weekend, so we immediately pivoting to fixing it and getting new readings.  After the fixes (Silencer and turndown) is when I was told about the Saturday enforcement("you won't get black flagged")  that turned out to be inaccurate and resulted in another black flag on Saturday, this time during the race.
 

What made you think this meant anything other than "if you are testing at 96 on Saturday you won't get black flagged".  As you stated the results on Saturday were above the limit so of course you should expect to get black flagged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, QuaTTro said:

What made you think this meant anything other than "if you are testing at 96 on Saturday you won't get black flagged".  As you stated the results on Saturday were above the limit so of course you should expect to get black flagged.

We tested on Friday after the fixes and were safe.  No changes, then Saturday hit and we were suddenly back above again.  Sigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jer said:

We tested on Friday after the fixes and were safe.  No changes, then Saturday hit and we were suddenly back above again.  Sigh.

I get that, but as you stated the car was above the limit on Sat so they were enforcing the rules as we always ask them to do.  Hopefully they enforced it consistently across all teams. 

 

I've seen this happen at the Harris Hill races as there can be many things that impact that reading including weather, other cars, where the tester is standing, how hard the car is being pushed in the moment the test is run, etc.  Always good to have a few dB of buffer to prevent this from happening on race day.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

The track officials I spoke to didn't seem to have that understanding.  We didn't want to get booted from the test day/weekend, so we immediately pivoting to fixing it and getting new readings.  After the fixes (Silencer and turndown) is when I was told about the Saturday enforcement("you won't get black flagged")  that turned out to be inaccurate and resulted in another black flag on Saturday, this time during the race.

Fuel Pump Update:  It was the main power tee to that panel.  It splits into three, but the main cable.  apparently it was over its current limit and getting too hot.  I am going to measure the draw on everything to accurately gauge that wire (I think its 10 gauge now). 

 

I had a similar problem, I run a Holley fuel pump that is 2 pumps in a common housing. I have a switch to change from one pump to the other. At the 24hr a few years ago we had a cracked header that was dumping lots of heat and causing all kinds of problems. It was the switch that selected the pump that failed intermittently, meant neither pump worked but it was difficult to diagnose. 

 

pump.thumb.jpg.1ae7452db7c626d5668455e2d0970d7b.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jer said:

We tested on Friday after the fixes and were safe.  No changes, then Saturday hit and we were suddenly back above again.  Sigh.

 

We had the same issue, both Sat and Sun. My only guess is that the morning cool air makes more power, and has higher transmission of the sound energy. Also slightly better grip so WOT time going up. 

 

Fri we were within 1 Db of pass\fail (@ champ levels). Sat fail by a several Db, added the plugger thing the store sells and passed. Sunday we get hit for 102 dB and add a third muffler keeping the plug in the pipe.  

 

Lesson learned, if we race here again I am bringing a full exhaust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

 

We had the same issue, both Sat and Sun. My only guess is that the morning cool air makes more power, and has higher transmission of the sound energy. Also slightly better grip so WOT time going up. 

 

Fri we were within 1 Db of pass\fail (@ champ levels). Sat fail by a several Db, added the plugger thing the store sells and passed. Sunday we get hit for 102 dB and add a third muffler keeping the plug in the pipe.  

 

Lesson learned, if we race here again I am bringing a full exhaust.

If it was CC level you were exceeding then you need a full exhaust all the time, no?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Lolz.

 

Even after our exhaust came off at the manifold, our car was still under the threshold...

 

I hate loud racecars.  They make you sooo fatigued after a stint.

 

You and I should create a team. Spent $500 and 15lbs on making my car quieter, well worth it!!! I don't need ear plugs anymore even!

Edited by turbogrill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Lolz.

 

Even after our exhaust came off at the manifold, our car was still under the threshold...

 

I hate loud racecars.  They make you sooo fatigued after a stint.

The fatigue statement is true.  We were barely under the CC limit, but inside the car was still too loud so we finally went with the Borla muffler and it's all good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jakks said:

If it was CC level you were exceeding then you need a full exhaust all the time, no?

We were well under at VIR.

 

Depends on the day, the meter used, the distance, the weather, what gear you are in.....and the fact we had left hand side exit at a track with a left hand meter (our fault). 

Edited by Black Magic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

We were well under at VIR.

 

Depends on the day, the meter used, the distance, the weather, what gear you are in.....and the fact we had left hand side exit at a track with a left hand meter (our fault). 

Same was true for us, a left side exit.  Might work great at Laguna though!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, eyeballs19 said:
The first stint we (I, really) had just an awesome battle with the Bulldog Racing e30. So fun trading places, side by side, for an hour, getting us both up to the top 5.

Here is a unique view of some of this battle (note time stamp shows an hour early)

Edited by eyeballs19
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, turbogrill said:

 

You and I should create a team. Spent $500 and 15lbs on making my car quieter, well worth it!!! I don't need ear plugs anymore even!

I have a spec Miata exhaust and a separate rear muffler for this reason (and passing sound at Laguna originally).  Looks like it did 86db at NCM.  Wouldn’t have to wear ear protection if it wasn’t for the other loud cars on track!  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunday AM video. Racing with the brew crew e30 and silver NB miata for many laps. From the black 668 neon (a team I help).

 

https://youtu.be/yuS-0YVy6XU

 

Was fun racing with you guys. The neon motor is very poor and tired, but made for good racing (straightline speed advantage vs slight midcorner speed advantage). 

 

Will post more laps later of the NB miata and I going back and forth. Sorry I missed it when you came by the pits. That was the most fun I had all weekend. 

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Sunday AM video. Racing with the brew crew e30 and silver NB miata for many laps. From the black 668 neon (a team I help).

 

https://youtu.be/yuS-0YVy6XU

 

Was fun racing with you guys. The neon motor is very poor and tired, but made for good racing (straightline speed advantage vs slight midcorner speed advantage). 

 

Will post more laps later of the NB miata and I going back and forth. Sorry I missed it when you came by the pits. That was the most fun I had all weekend. 

Ditto lots of fun and clean racing #970 ODOR Motor Group

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We (RVA) had a great time at NCM.  Big thanks to ChampCar and our always entertaining pit mates 901, Brew Krew & Running Bulls.  We fought the noise bug also on Friday.  Were over by .4, made an adjustment to quite it a bit, went back out and were over by 5.0!  Finally figured it out and were ok through the race days.  I'd like to say we were chasing the worlds fastest Miata's.  In reality we were racing everyone else because those 2 were in a league of their own.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a general note on the racing-what an awesome race!  I didn't see any terrible behavior that I can think of, and thoroughly enjoyed racing the blue acura, dark green BMW (clearly some of their drivers were hotshoes and some were not), Visceral, Basil Weenie, the 172 Miata, etc.  Great job Champcar teams!!!  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@frankrehnelt ,

 

Thank you for posting video to the youtube.  I had no idea what/who happened to preform a perfect pit maneuver on me.  Very minor incident, but I just wanted to know so I hunted your vid down.  Looks like the green e36 driver over estimated his front-end grip and pushed out into me.  The 901 driver did an excellent job avoiding our mess.

 

Not crying.  Not yelling.  Just glad to see it from another prospective other than my memory.  This was just a racing incident I am happy to have clarity on it.  Thank you, team 901.

 

20min and 20 seconds into…

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...