Learn me flat mufflers

wvumtnbkr

I'm looking to lose some weight on the car and want to go with a side exit exhaust.

Can somebody recommend a high quality, quiet muffler that holds up to racing?  I want a low profile for it so oval is important.

Thanks!

Rob R.

• Technical Advisory Committee
18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'm looking to lose some weight on the car and want to go with a side exit exhaust.

Can somebody recommend a high quality, quiet muffler that holds up to racing?  I want a low profile for it so oval is important.

Thanks!

Rob R.

Borla is always a good choice. You can find them in oval or round shape.

I think @Team Infiniti said they were lifetime warranty too?

Edited by mcoppola

23 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Borla is always a good choice. You can find them in oval or round shape.

I think @Team Infiniti said they were lifetime warranty too?

After trying several cheap smaller resonator things, we went with an oval shaped Borla Turbo XS muffler that is (1) much quieter and (2) just flat enough to tuck up under the car for a side exhaust under the rear passenger door.

There are also some cool companies like Rawtek that make some interesting shapes like Triangular resonators.  I have one in my other track toy and it helps fit the area under my car better.  I believe they sell flat ones too.  I was able to get a huge discount on a resonator that had a tiny manufacturing defect too.  It's worth contacting them to see what's available (their website mostly shows full exhaust kits but I bet you can buy a component if you call them like I did).

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Borla stainless,straight through, glasspack ovals have held up well for us w/ both v6 & v8, yes lifetime, but hold your proof of purchase in a safe place. Not sure they are the lightest though.

^borla xr1 is good for us, lasted 6 seasons now. 

• Like 2

I managed to kill everything I put on the car until I added Racing Beat mufflers. For what you want to do the 2.5 universal pre muffler would be perfect. They are still very quiet, I was shocked the first time I started my car with just the pre silencer attached to the header it was quieter than any series dual muffler system I had ever had on the car .The housing is made from thicker stainless than other mufflers on the market and the packing is stainless wool instead of fiberglass, it will last forever.

http://www.racingbeat.com/RX7-1975-1985/Exhaust-Universal-Parts/16431.html

1819114966_IMG_20161018_19060501.jpg.bb0a2ba53c420f492a7ced69166dec9a.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

after listening to you guys at over 150 events over the past 4 years or so, this is my experience.

I like this muffler and will be using it on the 1.9 and the 1.6 liter version of the Opel GT. It seems to work well on most cars. use the street version. anything "race muffler" from most companies wont pass CCES sound.
https://spintechmufflers.com/300dsc-300scs-300sct-psc-split-case-mufflers/

4519_source_1493140119.png

For my 3.3 liter v6 MR2 I used the Dynomax UltraFlow welded muffler. It was the only one that would last a year of racing while maintaining a quietish sound that would pass todays sound levels.
Two in tandem should work at Laguna with diffuser plates welded into the tips.

• Like 1

Spintech makes some great stuff. Had  one on a peripheral port 13b and a big turbo 13b that worked great lasted for years. Very popular with the drag crowd. Recently bought a Chinese version for my E30 from amazon that is working great too. 

Edited by TimS

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TimS said:

Spintech makes some great stuff. Had  one on a peripheral port 13b and a big turbo 13b that worked great lasted for years. Very popular with the drag crowd. Recently bought a Chinese version for my E30 from amazon that is working great too. 

That's awesome to know.  If it can take the rotary heat without welds breaking that top shelf stuff there.

We run out the side. We failed at Nelson Last year by 2 DB we put a makeshift turndown on and it passed but we got fumes in the car so we altered it again and just made sound. After we put a spintech on and also put a real turndown on it. @E. Tyler Pedersen was the one who suggested the spintech.

No fumes and I dont know what our DB levels are now but we ran 4 days after and @Bill Strongnever came with his earmuffs on and black flag after so I assume we were good....i hope lol. 

If youd like i can get the model # off ours. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TimS said:

I have a spintech on my track day Miata mounted ahead of the diff (don't remember the model) and it was very loud, had to put another welded case muffler behind it. the concept is great but I feel like it was a wasted $100.

Edited by gundy
hit send too soon